Android FireTV (Unrootable) + Kodi Home Button
I've setup my new home theater, and its powered by an AFTV running Kodi, and since I was an idiot and auto patched it, I can't root it. If I return it, buy another, and root it, can I still watch Netflix and use native apps? The change log states that you can't use the new Netflix app without the update. So I figured I was stuck anyway.
The core of my issue revolves around trying to build a seamless Kodi-driven experience. So, I've installed Llama and use it to launch Kodi whenever the AFTV launcher is running, but that seems to bug out sometimes. Also, I can launch android apps (Netflix etc) from Kodi, but when I hit the home button on the remote, it brings me back to the AFTV launcher briefly, then sends me back to Kodi, on the last screen you were on. I'd like it so that whenever you hit the home button, it brings you to the Kodi homescreen. I have a flirc coming in the mail today and the system is powered by a Logitech Harmony Smart Hub. I'm thinking I could program a set of keystrokes? If not, am I missing a "home" button in Kodi?
I'm not 100% sure but I think the Home button does the same thing whether rooted or not. All root allows you to do is load from USB for Kodi.
(2015-02-03, 17:34)Hitcher Wrote: I'm not 100% sure but I think the Home button does the same thing whether rooted or not. All root allows you to do is load from USB for Kodi.

Right, but since I'm using the logitech harmony smart hub I'm looking for a key to bind to use as a virtual "home button" for Kodi. Is there such a key?
(2015-02-03, 17:34)Hitcher Wrote: I'm not 100% sure but I think the Home button does the same thing whether rooted or not. All root allows you to do is load from USB for Kodi.

Once rooted you can use another program (such as XBMC Launcher) as the Android launcher which makes the home button open Kodi.

Not sure if there is a way to launch Kodi from the smarthub without doing Llama like you currently have otherwise.

Netflix works fine on the latest rooted version. I did the same thing as you with my first FireTV box. I ended up returning it for another one and made sure to follow the rooting instructions this time.
(2015-02-03, 17:57)kmarq Wrote:

Once rooted you can use another program (such as XBMC Launcher) as the Android launcher which makes the home button open Kodi.

Not sure if there is a way to launch Kodi from the smarthub without doing Llama like you currently have otherwise.

Netflix works fine on the latest rooted version. I did the same thing as you with my first FireTV box. I ended up returning it for another one and made sure to follow the rooting instructions this time.

Good to know. But is there a way to hit a button and return to the Kodi home screen, from say, TV Shows? And is there a way that Kodi will turn off and back on when you boot everything up?
Use Autopilot. It will still technically boot to the FireTV home, but then Kodi is launched right away.

I don't know that it will cover when the device goes to sleep and you wake it up though. I'm not sure if you could set a llama event for wakeup to launch kodi.

You should be able to use the keymappings to map a button for activate the homescreen. I don't know offhand exactly what that entry would be but it should be possible (I need to set this up myself yet).
(2015-02-03, 17:21)Kolmain Wrote: The change log states that you can't use the new Netflix app without the update. So I figured I was stuck anyway.

hi, this isnt necessarily true

once rooted you can install CWM recovery and then install any pre-patched update which is the latest patch rooted.

CWM recovery - http://forum.xda-developers.com/fire-tv/...0-t2882336

Prerooted Stock images - http://forum.xda-developers.com/fire-tv/...s-t2882337

Im on the latest patch, rooted and running kodi which auto boots on startup. Also netflix works fine

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
FireTV (Unrootable) + Kodi Home Button0