Merged Genres
Wouldn't it be possible to have an add on that would merge genres into one generic genres. I mean I would like for example to merge Science-Fiction with Sci-fi with Science fiction…

An xml file to manually organise genres would be great :
Code:
<mastergenre>Science Fiction
                 <genre>Science Fiction</genre>
                 <genre>Science-Fiction</genre>
                 <genre>Sci-Fi</genre>
          </mastergenre>
HTPC homemade - BOX SilverStone Lascala LC17 - CPU Intel Core i3-3220T (2.8 GHz) - CM ASRock B75 Pro3 - HD Crucial M4 64 Go - CG ASUS GeForce GT 610 Low Profile 1 GB - RAM Corsair Vengeance Low Profile Blue Series 4 Go (2x2 Go) DDR3 1600 MHz CL9 - POWER Be Quiet! Power 7 400 W 80PLUS - REMOTE Harmony 650 - Frodo 12.2 XBMCbuntu Aeon-Nox 4.1.9 - MacPro 2010 - SMB
Makes sense, gets my vote.
I'd welcome such an addon as well.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
That would be awesome!
Damn, I was just thinking this last night as I had to go through quite a few .nfos and change Sci-Fi and Science-Fiction to just regular old Science Fiction to match my genre backgrounds/icons.
I once had a similar idea: Data normalization addons.

Could be used for genres, but also for other things like age ratings.

Here is an xml containing german and english genres (the ones in my db and from some website... not sure what site I used): http://pastebin.com/66GNnwWC
Here's one containing german and english age ratings (i think it did uk and us and the ones found in my db): http://pastebin.com/gnkC88Wy

Unfortunately i never followed through and don't have any time right now, but this would definately get a +1 from me Wink

EDIT: Forgot to mention: 90% of my db is in german but for a few movies. So a few genres I have as english and in german. Would be great if such an addon could merge them to
Great idea!

It would be nice also to have genre lists for each language and that genres translations will share id's (action in English and Spanish will have the same id) so they could be merged.
Also Kodi could choose the translated genre name based on the interface language
I don't get it. If you use a single scraper for everything (like tmdb) there is only one 'Science Fiction' genre
(2015-02-12, 12:21)takoi Wrote: I don't get it. If you use a single scraper for everything (like tmdb) there is only one 'Science Fiction' genre

It works if you use english as main language. I'm french and there are some movies nfo that doesn't exist in french. So you Get Comedy for english and Comedie for french
HTPC homemade - BOX SilverStone Lascala LC17 - CPU Intel Core i3-3220T (2.8 GHz) - CM ASRock B75 Pro3 - HD Crucial M4 64 Go - CG ASUS GeForce GT 610 Low Profile 1 GB - RAM Corsair Vengeance Low Profile Blue Series 4 Go (2x2 Go) DDR3 1600 MHz CL9 - POWER Be Quiet! Power 7 400 W 80PLUS - REMOTE Harmony 650 - Frodo 12.2 XBMCbuntu Aeon-Nox 4.1.9 - MacPro 2010 - SMB
(2015-02-12, 12:21)takoi Wrote: I don't get it. If you use a single scraper for everything (like tmdb) there is only one 'Science Fiction' genre

It's easy for this to build up over time. Some stuff has NFO files, or an older library scraped some movies with another scraper at one point. For me, as far as I can remember I've only used TMDB and no NFO files, but even I have "sports" and "sports films" in my genre list, which I assumed happened because at one point they renamed it on TMDB.

While it's not that hard to correct things as people go along and prevent it from piling up, I imagine this will still come in handy for the media import work where UPnP libraries can mesh together. For example, a friend might come over and mesh his library with yours, and maybe you guys have different names for "sci-fi". This way it doesn't matter, and any smart playlist or node will keep working like it's supposed to.

In theory.
(2015-02-12, 13:21)Ned Scott Wrote:

It's easy for this to build up over time. Some stuff has NFO files, or an older library scraped some movies with another scraper at one point. For me, as far as I can remember I've only used TMDB and no NFO files, but even I have "sports" and "sports films" in my genre list, which I assumed happened because at one point they renamed it on TMDB.

While it's not that hard to correct things as people go along and prevent it from piling up, I imagine this will still come in handy for the media import work where UPnP libraries can mesh together. For example, a friend might come over and mesh his library with yours, and maybe you guys have different names for "sci-fi". This way it doesn't matter, and any smart playlist or node will keep working like it's supposed to.

In theory.
same here, i've got a wide variety of similar genres. In the past TMDB wasn't really strict about that and so every one was free to use whatever he felt like.
Also don't forget that you can gave TMDB an TVDB data.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2015-02-11, 19:37)Fice Wrote: I once had a similar idea: Data normalization addons.

Could be used for genres, but also for other things like age ratings.

Here is an xml containing german and english genres (the ones in my db and from some website... not sure what site I used): http://pastebin.com/66GNnwWC
Here's one containing german and english age ratings (i think it did uk and us and the ones found in my db): http://pastebin.com/gnkC88Wy

Unfortunately i never followed through and don't have any time right now, but this would definately get a +1 from me Wink

EDIT: Forgot to mention: 90% of my db is in german but for a few movies. So a few genres I have as english and in german. Would be great if such an addon could merge them to

Great exactly what I meant. Is there a way to implement that in Kodi ?
Such a function would be really good for music too. For example I have Hip Hop, Hiphop and Hip-Hop as well as Brit Pop and Britpop in my library.
Ahh yes genre normalization....Something close to my heart and a perfect idea for an add-on.

Someone should make a nice XML list of different genres and I'm sure an add-on writer will take it up.

Here is something to get you started with the final normalized genres from metadata sites:

Valid Audio genres from TADB
Code:
Accapella
Acid Jazz
Acoustic
Alternative Country
Alternative Hip-Hop
Alternative Metal
Alternative Rock
Ambient
Asian
Avant-Garde
Big Band
Big Beat
Black Metal
BlueGrass
Blues
Breaks
Children
Choral
Christmas
Classic Rock
Classical
Classical Crossover
Comedy
Composer
Country
Country Pop
Country Rap
Country Rock
Crust Punk
Dance
Dance-Punk
Dancehall
Death Metal
Deep House
Disco
Doom Metal
Downtempo
Drum & Bass
Dubstep
Electro House
Electro-Industrial
Electronic
Emo
Euro Dance
Experimental
Folk
Folk Metal
Funk
Fusion
Garage
Garage Rock
Glam Metal
Gospel
Goth
Gothic Metal
Grime
Grindcore
Grunge
Hard Rock
Hardcore
Hardcore Punk
Heavy Metal
Hip-Hop
House
Indie
Indie Pop
Indie Rock
Industrial Metal
J-Pop
Jazz
K-Pop
Latin
Lounge
Metal
Metalcore
Musical
New Age
New Wave
Noise
Nu Metal
Opera
Orchestral
OST
Pop
Pop-Punk
Pop-Rock
Post-Hardcore
Post-Punk
Post-Rock
Power Metal
Pre-60s
Progressive Metal
Progressive Rock
Progressive Trance
Protopunk
Psy Trance
Psychedelic Rock
Psychobilly
Punk Rock
R&B
Rap
Rap Metal
Reggae
Reggae fusion
Rock
Rock & Roll
Rockabilly
Singer Songwriter
Ska
Ska Punk
Sludge Metal
Soul
Speed Metal
Stoner Rock
Street Punk
Swing
Symphonic Metal
Synthpop
Techno
Thrash Metal
Trance
Trap
Trip Hop
Turkish Pop
UK Garage
Video Game Music
World/Ethnic

Valid Movie genres from TMDB
Code:
Action
Adventure
Animation
Comedy
Crime
Documentary
Drama
Family
Fantasy
Foreign
History
Horror
Music
Mystery
Romance
Science Fiction
TV Movie
Thriller
War
Western

Valid TVShow genres from TVDB
Code:
Action
Adventure    
Animation
Children    
Comedy
Crime
Documentary
Drama
Family
Fantasy
Food
Game Show
Home and Garden
Horror
Mini-Series
Mystery
News
Reality
Romance
Science-Fiction
Soap
Special Interest
Sport
Suspense
Talk Show
Thriller
Travel
Western
I wanted to start a custom menu in shednox for genres and ran into the ext problem discribed here. Is there any progress on this?
Jim

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Merged Genres0