"MCE" remote buttons not working after upgrading from xbmc 13.1 to 14.0. WM problem.
Hi, I am using slackware 14.1 and have just upgraded my xbmc to kodi using the slackbuild from slackbuilds.org. Since then the power button and volume buttons have stopped working on my remote. I am not using lirc, never have.
I have looked at changing the keymap but I can't seem to get any keycode for the power/volume buttons on my remote.
When I press the power button, xev shows this:
Code:
FocusOut event, serial 37, synthetic NO, window 0x3c00001,
    mode NotifyGrab, detail NotifyAncestor

FocusOut event, serial 37, synthetic NO, window 0x3c00001,
    mode NotifyUngrab, detail NotifyPointer

FocusIn event, serial 37, synthetic NO, window 0x3c00001,
    mode NotifyUngrab, detail NotifyAncestor

KeymapNotify event, serial 37, synthetic NO, window 0x0,
    keys:  1   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0  
           0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0

Same for the volume buttons but the number after "keys:" is 2, usually. All the other buttons on the remote show keycodes and usually map to normal keyboard keys or things like XF86AudioPlay (or something like that).

Do I need to run something other than xev to get the keycodes for my power and volume buttons?
OK, I have found out that this isn't really anything to do with the remote but with the way kodi is interacting with the window manager. I have upgraded to kodi on my laptop too and after that the multimedia keys stopped working for volume control inside kodi, and also the screensaver is still activating even when kodi is full screen and playing.

The volume keys on the remote and laptop are being caught by the window manager and not passed through to kodi, presumably the same thing is happening with the power button. Running X without a window manager and kodi --standalone everything works properly. I am using openbox and xfwm4 as window managers.

Is there a way to tell kodi to capture all input events (and disable the X screensaver) when it is in fullscreen mode so that it works the same way as XBMC 13.1?
I remember reading about this on another thread and the short answer is NO.

You have to start kodi without window manager or use Lirc to get the old functionality back.
I did find something in another thread about changing keyboard shortcuts in ubuntu to allow them to be passed to kodi, but I can't find anything like that on xfce - and that doesn't fix the screensaver problem.
Had a quick look at the source changes between 13.1 and 14.0 to see if I could find an easy hack, but it looks like the windowing code has changed a lot and no longer using SDL. There is some code to attempt to disable the system screensaver but I guess it fails.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"MCE" remote buttons not working after upgrading from xbmc 13.1 to 14.0. WM problem.0