Tv tuner set up
Sorry it's all questions right now as just getting settled in to the Raspberry Pi2!

I've got a usb tv tuner sitting here and would like to try it on the Pi - as I see it does seem to be supported (it's an Avermedia Volar 815).

The best how to I have been able to find is here http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Configuring_Tvheadend - but it shows the steps to be taken while in the openelec o/s. My Pi just boots straight into Kodi (I'm using openelec Rpi2) so do I somehow configure everything in Kodi or is there a way to boot into the underlying o/s?

I'll most likely get a twin tuner usb soon but just can't wait to try it all out!

thanks!
I think you are confused. You don't really need to get to a command line in Linux (OpenElec is a light Linux distro that is optimised and that Kodi runs on)

The steps shown in the wiki are in the TV Headend interface - which is a web page accessed via a web browser from another computer. However you have to install the TV Headend service on your TV server (which could be your Pi2). This has moved from being an official to an unofficial add-on in OpenElec (I think the OE Devs think it is a bit flaky), with VDR being their preferred solution (but VDR currently crashes Pi2s during channel scans and doesn't appear to support the Freeview HD EPG or LCNs in the UK easily - both of which TV Headend do)

So you need to add the OpenElec Unofficial Addons Repo, then install the TV Headend service. You navigate to the TV Headend web page (it will be the IP address of your Pi2 and at port 9981 so http://IP.ADDRESS.OF.PI2:9981) The config has changed slightly since that write up was written, as the DVB Config is a bit different and there is an additional step you need to create a TV Network, associate it with your tuner front-end and then add muxes.

It's relatively straightforward - and there is some help at the tvheadend website - but if you are totally new to this stuff there will be a learning curve...

You should make sure that the Freeview EPG is configured as an EPG Grabber source (I think it is by default)

Once you've scanned and found your services, you should then install the TV Headend PVR client on your Pi2. Then enable it in the Live TV section of settings.

Before you do all this it's worth checking that your TV Tuner has Linux support.
There is actually a separate part of the forum for TvHeadend with another setup guide as the first thread which will help you a great deal....

http://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=168

Supported Tuners in OpenElec:
http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Supported_TV_Tuners

Looks like your Avermedia will work Smile

wrxtasy - wish I'd thought of that! Wink
Thanks Noggin - I didn't understand at all. I looked up how to get the unofficial repo - but it says to install that via samba which is another thing I don't understand.
Why can't there just be tv that works with Kodi out the box? The rest of it is so awesome.

So am I correct in thinking I need to... figure out how to get samba working, when I've done that use it to install the unofficial repo onto the pi, then after that get the tv headend back end installed from a zip within Kodi. After that, I can use the other pc to navigate to the web page that my pi has for tv headend (yes the one thing that is working is the internet on the pi). Then I can configure my tuner. Then set up a tv network to associate with the front end. After that just start up the front end and that's it!

Maybe someone would like to write a step by step how to on how to go from no tv all the way to tv?

Don't worry, I'm smiling, kinda!
(2015-02-08, 17:34)JohnyLondon Wrote: Thanks Noggin - I didn't understand at all. I looked up how to get the unofficial repo - but it says to install that via samba which is another thing I don't understand.
Why can't there just be tv that works with Kodi out the box? The rest of it is so awesome.
Because there isn't a global standard for TV - different bits of the world use different systems... And there are lots of different back ends with various pros and cons that work better in various bits of the world.

Quote:So am I correct in thinking I need to... figure out how to get samba working, when I've done that use it to install the unofficial repo onto the pi, then after that get the tv headend back end installed from a zip within Kodi. After that, I can use the other pc to navigate to the web page that my pi has for tv headend (yes the one thing that is working is the internet on the pi). Then I can configure my tuner. Then set up a tv network to associate with the front end. After that just start up the front end and that's it!

Maybe someone would like to write a step by step how to on how to go from no tv all the way to tv?

Don't worry, I'm smiling, kinda!

Details about the repo here : http://unofficial.addon.pro

And wrxtasy posted a good link. If you are after specific TV Headend or VDR help then have a look in their areas of the forum.
Hmmm... well I got the unofficial repo going, just waiting for my new dual tuner to arrive - I figured if I was going to this much trouble, might as well have what I really want.
Just need a little more advice - I plugged in my new tuner, and installed the tvheadend back end from the unofficial open elec repository. Infact it wouldn't download the first couple of tries so I enabled the tvheadend front end then the back end downloaded and installed - so I have both front and back end of tvheadend going.
I've tried viewing the tvheadend set up web page http://xxx.xxx.x.xx:9881 exactly like that (with my address not x's). It just says problem loading page - any ideas?
I checked the tvheadend Install and initial setup (as the how to said to make sure it was "up and running" before finding the webpage, but I have to say the Install and Initial setup makes absolutely no sense to me. It's on about command lines?
Thanks - I'm sure I'm getting closer!
oh... 9981... I've now got the tvheadend page but there was no tab for TV Adaptors - until I clicked DVB Inputs. Two tuners are showing though they dont sound like mine (Dibcom7000 or some such). It also shows "no verified access (login)" just to the right of the tabs, which is not shown in the how to screen shots. I tried logging in but it's not happy just leaving the boxes blank (for user/password)
getting closer.... any pointers appreciated.
Dibcom 7000 is a widespread DVB chipset used in lots of DVB-T USB tuners. If you have a dual USB tuner set-up then it is highly likely that the two Dibcom 7000s you see are the two tuners.
Pointers, yep, the Wiki and remember to save the Username and Password, and also save when you configure individual settings in each tab.

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Configuring_Tvheadend

Thanks - I've been using that wiki - amongst others, but I get so far and my tv setup page is not the same - I can get to devices (with one extra step as per my above), and yeh, good to know the dibcom7000 is as I suspected, my tv tuner.
But after that I'm stuck - there's no option for setting "Add dvb network by location" or anything similar. Plus as it warns me about not being logged in, I figure that may be something to do with it.
So - how do I set the username and password?
The newer builds of TV Headend require a bit more fiddling as they added flexibility to allow for multiple platforms to be received. Don't worry about the login stuff - it's just telling you that TV Headend is running in the 'anyone can login' mode I think. I've just gone from a blank install to fully tuned

You now have the concept of Networks, as well as Muxes, Services and Channels. You also have to make sure your DVB tuners are enabled, I think that by default they aren't.

Here's a quick step-by-step I followed with my PTC 290e and TV Headend 3.9.2496 installed on a Pi2 from the OE Unofficial Addons repo. I rebooted after I installed it.

Go to IP:9981 in your browser.

Select the Configuration tab. Select the DVB Inputs tab.
Select the Networks tab. Click Add. Select DVB-T from the drop down if you want terrestrial (which you do). Give your network a name like 'Freeview'. I disable Skip Initial Scan, but leave Network Discovery enabled (in theory you only need to add one mux/frequency to get TV Headend to find all the muxes as the broadcasters send a list of all frequencies in use).

Then you have a choice. I usually add my PSB1 (BBC/ITV SD) mux manually (after this point) and let network discovery do it's magic, but the alternative (which may be easier for you) is to select which transmitter you are using from the pre-defined muxes. Select "United Kingdom uk-XXX" where XXX is your transmitter. I live in London and so use Crystal Palace (as I'm not using a fill-in). (If you use pre-defined muxes you may end up with two versions of the muxes if you do this and leave network discovery enabled - as the first mux that is tuned will network discover the others, and potentially duplicate them)

Then click Create to create the network.

Go to TV Adapters, Select the tuner you want to tune, go to the Networks drop down and add the network you created above (Mine is called Freeview). Then select Enable.

If you then click on muxes you should see the muxes Scan Status go from PEND to ACTIVE to IDEL when tuning each mux, the SCAN RESULT should go OK, and you should get services appearing in the number of services column. Once all the muxes have scanned (and you have Scan Result OK in every row) you can map the services. Go to the Services Tab and click Map all. To avoid the problems with BBC Three/CBBC and BBC Four/CBeebies sharing the same streams, don't select 'Check availability' Click "Map" and you should quickly get 134/134 (or similar - numbers will vary if you don't have local TV or live in a different part of the UK)

(If you find no scanning happens - then a reboot might help)

You will probably also want to enable the EPG grabber.

Click on the Channel/EPG tab, then EPG Grabbber tab. Make sure UK : Freeview is ticked in the Module section. Click Save Configuration if it wasn't and you enabled it. You might want to click Trigger OTA EPG Grabber to force an EPG grab.

You might also want to set-up your recording stuff in the Recording tab, enable time shift (for live pause - though using an SD Card for this might not be a great idea). I'd also leave recordings on passthrough (which records in .ts format) rather than using mkv if you watch HD channels, as the mkv format doesn't always cope well with 5.1/2.0 audio switching which happens on the BBC and C4 HD stuff.
Hi noggin - and THANK YOU so much for a clear, step by step gobble-di-gook free, explanation! I followed this and soon had the thing running! Should absolutely be made into a sticky or a how to!

The two little things I have now to sort out are...
1. getting the serial number off my pi (looked how to do it and am unsure regarding accessing the code lines from another machine, though I can move my files about freely just by going to the address in "search" on my laptop). Obviously I need the mpeg 2 decoder.
2. While I was setting up the tuner, I took the time to deselect channels that I didn't want - and in the guide section too. But they all showed up in Kodi front end. No problem I thought - will just deselect them in Kodi - so I did but they are still there!
It's looking really promising though!
Glad it worked for you.

You can get the serial number of your Pi from within OpenElec. Go to System->System Info->Hardware and there is a Serial : field.

If you are feeling brave you could attempt the command line though. Either SSH or use Putty to get into your system. The login is root, the password is openelec. Then you can follow the guide here http://www.raspberrypi.com/mpeg-2-license-key/ to cut and paste your serial number and order your licence. Knowing about SSH or Putty to access your Pi remotely and get to the command line is a useful thing to be able to do for all sorts of reasons (not least it's a lot easier to cut and paste stuff from websites on a laptop and send it remotely to your pi via a remote login!)

When you receive your licences you will need to edit your the config file on your SD card to add them (easiest to do by removing the SD card and editing it on a PC or MAC - if you use a PC then Notepad++ is very well worth having as a text editor - much better than Notepad) and remember not to include a # sign at the beginning of the line with your licences as that means 'comment' (and everything after it is ignored)

To disable channels in TV Headend make sure they aren't enabled in the browser accessed web config - Configuration->DVB Inputs->Services tab (ensure the enable box is inticked for the channels you don't want), remembering to hit SAVE at the top of the Services page.

THEN force Kodi to resync the EPG by going to : System->Live TV->General->Reset the PVR database. You may also need to go System->Live TV->EPG->Reset the EPG Database (I'm not clear of the difference between the two) I don't think Kodi will delete the channels you've disabled unless you do one or both of these.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Tv tuner set up1