Kodi CLI
Hi!

When doing the headless PR I started looking into our AppParamsParser. And what it does is rather simple but some things popped up I wanted to discuss.
a) Which of the options are needed? Feels like most aren't Smile
  • kodi --lirc-dev
  • kodi --no-lirc
  • kodi -d X
  • kodi --test
  • kodi foo.mp3 bar.mp3
  • kodi --legacy-res
  • kodi --debug
  • kodi --standalone
  • kodi --settings=
  • kodi --portable
  • kodi --fullscreen

b) We don't we use a third party parser, http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_57_0/doc...tions.html or GNU getopt ?

c) We call AppParam parsing well before application is started, so it feels a bit weird that its tied to app. Wouldn't it be better if AppParamParser just returned a struct with options, and we apply those in XBMC_Run?
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
fullscreen and portable are certainly used. No idea about the rest.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Linux builds have a portable mode? Or is this a different kind of portable mode than what Windows users have?
why wouldn't they? Its just not overly useful when running from packages, as the install location belongs to root.
Manual compiles work just fine with portable mode
-d <delay> is used by some of my friends to delay the startup after system boots up. this is done to be sure that other services are started right before kodi.
(2015-02-11, 18:49)xhaggi Wrote: -d <delay> is used by some of my friends to delay the startup after system boots up. this is done to be sure that other services are started right before kodi.

I feel like there are much better ways to accomplish this, on linux at least.
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
(2015-02-11, 19:09)lrusak Wrote:
(2015-02-11, 18:49)xhaggi Wrote: -d <delay> is used by some of my friends to delay the startup after system boots up. this is done to be sure that other services are started right before kodi.

I feel like there are much better ways to accomplish this, on linux at least.

Code:
sleep X; kodi

So yeah, too me it feels unnecessary too. Would love to hear what they are waiting for though, perhaps we are missing something? Or is it network?

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
mostly network. This can be done much cleaner in upstart/systemd
(2015-02-12, 13:25)wsnipex Wrote: mostly network. This can be done much cleaner in upstart/systemd

or in Kodi itself on startup Smile
Similar option is also available on Windows and there we don't have systemd or startup.

wait till network is ready when you use some networking stuff and show on splash that it is waiting till network is up and press key to skip.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2015-02-12, 13:27)Martijn Wrote: or in Kodi itself on startup Smile
Similar option is also available on Windows and there we don't have systemd or startup.

wait till network is ready when you use some networking stuff and show on splash that it is waiting till network is up and press key to skip.

Hmm, I have had a patch for reacting on network like 15 times now it feels like Tongue Keep forgetting to merge it due to some random reason Smile Perhaps I should dust it off once more Tongue

(2015-02-12, 13:52)topfs2 Wrote:
(2015-02-12, 13:27)Martijn Wrote: or in Kodi itself on startup Smile

Hmm, I have had a patch for reacting on network like 15 times now it feels like Tongue Keep forgetting to merge it due to some random reason Smile Perhaps I should dust it off once more Tongue
I know several users would be very pleased with that Smile
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
only want to let you know that it is used. but sure it is not necessary as we can do it outside kodi.
Initial PR up https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/6436

EDIT: Thanks xhaggi. Just was interested in why it was used and if we could solve it better Smile

(2015-02-10, 11:33)Montellese Wrote: fullscreen and portable are certainly used. No idea about the rest.

BTW, fullscreen? On Linux we default to fullscreen, isn't this the same on windows? Just wondered why its used?

Feels like windowed is more of a developer thing no? Perhaps we should twist the setting? --window ?

we default to full screen, but once you set it windowed, it stays like that over restarts. I use that all the time on my desktop to watch TV or listen to music.

So a -fs makes sense to override that

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi CLI0