Linux Need a USB soundcard for my incomming NUC
Hi.

My sound system is a Logitech Z-5500, which i have currently hooked up to my TV via Optical SPDIF and my current HTPC via COAX.

The NUC does not COAX output, so i need a USB soundcard that does, and that card needs to be able to run i Kodibuntu.

I've been looking at this card, it's affordable, and gives me the output i need, will it work or do i need to buy something else?
http://www.asus.com/dk/Sound_Cards/Xonar_U5/

i need it to be able to pass through DD, DTS and ACC 5,1 sound to my Z-5500
Kodi is the best HTPC software i know.
I've been using it since Dharma<3

That all depends on your TV - to be cooperative. Most TVs only can passthrough AC3 (via hdmi input to the optical out) if you are lucky, they will just be silent when doing DTS. AAC 5.1 is not passthrough format. To play that with 6 channels on SPDIF it needs reencoding to AC3 (kodi can do that on the fly).

I would attach that sound system directly to the nuc.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
My sound system is a Logitech Z-5500, which i have currently hooked up to my TV via Optical SPDIF and my current HTPC via COAX.

I never wrote that it's running through the TV.

I have however found a way to use Kodi to resample ACC 5.1 sound to Dolby, and my problems i had with me HDMI extractor has been solved, so i do not need a soundcard afterall Smile

Quote:My sound system is a Logitech Z-5500, which i have currently hooked up to my TV via Optical SPDIF ...

Not sure ...

Set speakers to 2.0, enable AC3 transcode and disable DTS. That should do what you want.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
It did fritsch, and it solved my problems!

Case closed Smile

the Z-5500 supports DTS iirc

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need a USB soundcard for my incomming NUC0