ssd upgrade for hp Chromebox
Can anybody suggest a good and large ssd upgrade for a Chromebox? Some of the ssd's I've seen online have reviews saying that they fail after a few months. I'm also wondering what the max size is that can be installed. I would prefer anything at or above 200 GB.
The wiki tells you exactly what type you need:

Quote:The ChromeBox uses a single 2242 M.2 SATA SSD (22mm x 42mm); stock is a 16GB unit (usually Sandisk or Kensington). Any M.2 SATA 2242 replacement drive should work without issue.

As for a specific brand/model, google helps with that: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KLTPUG4
Just curious but why do you want to upgrade it?
I am guessing he wants a "larger than 16GB" SSD and I don't blame him.
(2015-02-12, 20:44)Matt Devo Wrote: The wiki tells you exactly what type you need:

Quote:The ChromeBox uses a single 2242 M.2 SATA SSD (22mm x 42mm); stock is a 16GB unit (usually Sandisk or Kensington). Any M.2 SATA 2242 replacement drive should work without issue.

As for a specific brand/model, google helps with that: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KLTPUG4

I've got that exact drive in one of mine and it hasn't given me any issues yet.
Thanks, I was looking for a recommendation from someone who has one. It looks like this is the best one to get so I will order it in a few days.

(2015-02-12, 22:31)DocG Wrote:
(2015-02-12, 20:44)Matt Devo Wrote: The wiki tells you exactly what type you need:

I've got that exact drive in one of mine and it hasn't given me any issues yet.
I use this in my Asus Chromebox.

http://uk.transcend-info.com/Products/No-642
ASRock Beebox J3160 4GB RAM 120GB SATA SSD - Harmony Elite BT
Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH 4GB RAM 120GB SATA SSD - Harmony Smart Control BT
all @ Libreelec Testbuild
HP N54L @ Ubuntu 14.04.4 Minimal Server / MySQL DB
HP N40L @ Ubuntu 14.04.4 Minimal Server
Just wanted to update. I did end up buying the Transcend 256 GB 42 mm M.2 SSD and installed it into a hp chromebox. Everything has worked fine so far in the couple hours I have used it. I have kodibuntu up and running with extra apps like steam and chrome.While I had this before on the 16 gig drive I now have plenty of space left where as before it was a squeeze.
(2015-03-03, 05:03)calev Wrote: Just wanted to update. I did end up buying the Transcend 256 GB 42 mm M.2 SSD and installed it into a hp chromebox. Everything has worked fine so far in the couple hours I have used it. I have kodibuntu up and running with extra apps like steam and chrome.While I had this before on the 16 gig drive I now have plenty of space left where as before it was a squeeze.

Glad it worked for you, but surely you are going to add a lot of local content as well right? Why else did you need/want the extra 240GB? I use limelight on my 8GB nexus player Big Grin instead of steam-in-home-streaming, but neither one needs hardly any local storage. Limelight was just a little easier to setup and get a controller working for a noob like myself, plus I think it's a little more bleeding edge on the NVENC optimization over steam-IHS
Steam wasn't to hard to set up. All you do is install it, and xbox controller works out of the box.Haven't tried limelight yet. I'm mainly wanting the extra space for emulators and so I can apt-get install all day long. Maybe trying to use steamos as a base later on. It requires more space.
@ Matt, If I was to install say a 256G SSD in the Asus chromebox dual boot with OpenELECT and ChromeOS. Would your reccomendation to keep the OE partition not more than 9G still apply? Tks
(2015-03-03, 18:06)cd2022 Wrote: @ Matt, If I was to install say a 256G SSD in the Asus chromebox dual boot with OpenELECT and ChromeOS. Would your reccomendation to keep the OE partition not more than 9G still apply? Tks

the recommended max partition size reported by the script is based on the size of the installed ssd. If you threw a larger ssd in there, the recommended max size would go up as well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ssd upgrade for hp Chromebox0