WIP Windows DirectX 11 upgrade test thread
(2015-09-02, 21:39)Uoppi Wrote:
(2015-08-24, 18:00)MadScientist Wrote:
(2015-08-24, 16:00)afedchin Wrote: @MadScientist,
Can you also try with DXVA2 disabled and Render method is Auto?

Tried it and disabling DXVA2 fixed the black levels.

I just discussed this same issue with MadScientist in another thread, where I came to the crazy-sounding conclusion that with DXVA2 enabled, Kodi's "Use limited range" setting seems like it's working in reverse on DX11?!

i.e. NOT choosing limited range in Kodi, I get limited black clipping at regular TV brightness whereas ENABLING limited range, I need to lower brightness substantially to achieve the same blacks. All the while the driver is set to full range and TV to limited, as they should.

Which leaves me with two questions:

1) Am I just imagining things regarding the limited range setting working in reverse in Kodi with DXVA2 + DX11? I'm pretty sure my logic must be flawed.

2) What exactly is the issue with DXVA2 + DX11 and can I ever expect it to be solved? Unfortunately I can't disable DXVA2 for some material (CPU hits 100%).

All I'm after is proper blacks and if it requires lowering TV brightness, so be it. I'm just worried it doesn't result in a correctly calibrated picture because it "feels wrong" to have to do it.

I tried turning off limited range in Kodi and I concur black levels are restored. It appears that in the DX11 builds, DXVA2 duplicates the limited range setting of Kodi such that the Kodi setting is no longer needed. Looking at calibration patterns, the black levels are spot on - that can't be a cooincidence surely.

Messages In This Thread
New build 14/02/2015 - by afedchin - 2015-02-14, 15:16
RE: Windows DirectX 11 upgrade test thread - by MadScientist - 2015-09-08, 21:58
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows DirectX 11 upgrade test thread6