• 40(current)
WIP Windows DirectX 11 upgrade test thread
@afedchin

Thanks for the reply. Could you be a little more specific?

Which playback settings are different and where? In Kodi or Windows? In Windows (Catalyst Drivers) I didn't touch anything between both tests (15.1 DX11 and 16.0 Alpha 2).

How could I avoid the graphic card to come to low powered state? Catalyst settings are the same for both cases, so it would not be there.

Kodi 15.1 DX9 is also working perfectly because the DX version or because the card does not come to low powered state?

Which tests can I do more?

Thanks.
I'll try to explain.

1. In your first log (which is NO OK) I saw what Kodi uses High Quality Shaders (with DXVA rendering) which require more GPU resources.
Quote:23:19:24 T:1344 DEBUG: CWinShader::LoadEffect - loading shader special://xbmc/system/shaders/convolutionsep-6x6_d3d.fx
2. In your second log (which is OK) I saw what Kodi uses Auto scaling (i.e DXVA) which requires less GPU resources.
3. The cases 1 and 2 are different -> the result is different also.
4. The GPU power state is managed by the driver. You just can set it's parameter in CCC. (I don't know how exactly. I have no AMD GPU) Just read this post http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2050914 and try to find same setting in CCC.
5. DX9 version requires a little more resources and driver decides to do not switch into power safe mode. DX11 requires a little less power and driver can decide to going into power safe mode which cause a performance issue. You can try to look at GPU states whit GPU-Z utility (Sensors tab).
(2015-09-17, 10:46)afedchin Wrote: Guys please try this version KodiSetup-20150917 (pdb)

@MadScientist,
Please check what color range issue was fixed.

@User-3023
Please check playback.

hi, here color range seems to be wrong compared to aug 16 from topic

when checking inside kodi test pattern, only on aug 16 version i see all circles on limited range as expected,
running 4k resolution, nvidia 960 on sony 65s9005b, only limited color range available so can only check limited,

when changing to full range screen gets lighter and washed out on aug 16 dx11 version, as supposed to be.
all other versions its vice verse here, full range in kodi gives a darker picture, but circles in test patterns dissappear on blinking, so something wrong i assume.
(2015-09-17, 10:46)afedchin Wrote: Guys please try this version KodiSetup-20150917 (pdb)

@MadScientist,

@User-3023
Please check playback.

Many thanks afedchin

Everything is spot on with this build. With limited range selected and DXVA2 enabled, the menus are the correct brightness and black\white calibration patterns are OK (and the same as DX9 builds).

Excellent work!

@alturismo: I'm not sure you can rely on Kodi's internal patterns here. I'm using files from Spears and Munsil and AVS-HD-709 disks
@MadScientist, i think color range in playback is ok when choosing limited range, Kodi GUI just not looking good, but thats no real dealbreaker ...
just wonder why the dx11 16 August is working fine with GUI in limited range, vice verse to all other builds i tested ... Wink
That's strange, I find GUI is fine with the above build
possible rebase for 15.2 RC2?

@MadScientist,

@User-3023
Please check playback.

Video starts to play, then freezes. I'm going to stay with the standard Isengard install until the hardware is upgraded. I've been looking at some later models using i3, i5 and i7 cpu integrated with later versions of the Intel Graphics.

Isengard rc1 & rc2 with DirectX work fine without any problems.
(2015-09-19, 19:56)alturismo Wrote: hi, here color range seems to be wrong compared to aug 16 from topic

when checking inside kodi test pattern, only on aug 16 version i see all circles on limited range as expected,
running 4k resolution, nvidia 960 on sony 65s9005b, only limited color range available so can only check limited,

when changing to full range screen gets lighter and washed out on aug 16 dx11 version, as supposed to be.
all other versions its vice verse here, full range in kodi gives a darker picture, but circles in test patterns dissappear on blinking, so something wrong i assume.
ver. Aug 16 has a bug with limited color range. so don't consider this version as a standard. It's normal what full range gives a darker picture because black lever with full range is 0 and with limited range is 16. So picture seems more darker because Confluence skin has a lot of dark elements. Disappearing periodically of circles in test patterns is normal because they are blinking. If doesn't see blinking circles at all it means what something wrong in your HW settings.

(2015-09-20, 16:47)MadScientist Wrote: Everything is spot on with this build. With limited range selected and DXVA2 enabled, the menus are the correct brightness and black\white calibration patterns are OK (and the same as DX9 builds).
Thanks for testing this.

(2015-09-20, 20:38)alturismo Wrote: @MadScientist, i think color range in playback is ok when choosing limited range, Kodi GUI just not looking good, but thats no real dealbreaker ...
just wonder why the dx11 16 August is working fine with GUI in limited range, vice verse to all other builds i tested ... Wink
Again v.Aug 16 works wrong. Thats all.

(2015-09-21, 10:12)freddy12 Wrote: possible rebase for 15.2 RC2?
It's possible but when 15.2 will be released. I've no time to rebase dx11 branch every day.

(2015-09-24, 04:54)User-3023 Wrote: Video starts to play, then freezes. I'm going to stay with the standard Isengard install until the hardware is upgraded. I've been looking at some later models using i3, i5 and i7 cpu integrated with later versions of the Intel Graphics.
Debug Log is welcome.
Installed KodiSetup-20150917-39c6a6b-dx11_Isengard.exe again, along side Isengard RC2 ... Seems to now work ok, no freezing video.

A few videos did freeze, but I think was due from a poor connection.

The videos hue appears to be tinted green?

debug log file: http://pastebin.com/36aGRFHm

@MadScientist,

@User-3023
Please check playback.

Will this DX11 version be incorporated into Jarvis alpha 3? If not, please let me know the likely release. Thanks
(2015-09-25, 08:21)MadScientist Wrote: Will this DX11 version be incorporated into Jarvis alpha 3? If not, please let me know the likely release. Thanks
Alpha3 or at the worst case Beta1 will have all fixes.
The installer download is offline, provides a 404, please fix link, thanks.

Edit: .pdb file is down as well!
Issue Report:
KodiSetup-20150917-39c6a6b-dx11_Isengard.exe (with new userdata folder)

• Hardware: Windows 8.1 64bit, NVIDIA GTX 980 (x 2), driver-version 355.82 , Display resolution 1920x1080p@60hz

• Debug Log: pastebin.com/z0HqGQ09

• Crash Log: N/A Didn't crash

• How to Reproduce: Start Kodi in Window mode.

• Notes:No symptoms when in Fullscreen. Issue occurs regardless if SLI is Enabled or Disabled.

Symptom #1:
In Window mode on Win8.1 Desktop, Kodi GUI canvas isn't drawing correctly (borders of display area are corrupted or cut off; especially during and after Window resizing.. causes Window position to jump around erratically)

Screenshot

Symptom #2:
Unlike any other Windows Desktop application, Kodi DX11 Window position changes dynamically when "resize" dragging any corner of Kodi app Window
Video
@kgonepostl
The first post was updated.

@MKANET
Seems you are using an app which changes windows GUI and perhaps it causes an issue with resize and as side-effect with rendering Kodi UI. Please remove the app and try to reproduce the issue.

P.S. I wasn't be able to reproduce this.
  • 40(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows DirectX 11 upgrade test thread6