WIP Windows DirectX 11 upgrade test thread
Interesting work!

I stumbled upon this thread and got curious because using the DirectX 11 API opens up the capability to use high bit depths with the right hardware. And while a lot of software (in particular the various decoders and filters) support this all HTPC software currently converts this back down to 8 bits per pixel which has the potential to introduce color banding especially when color space and color range conversions are thrown into the mix as well by either the software, the display driver or the display device's internal processing.

I downloaded the latest Kodi source where your work has been merged in to and with some minor alterations in the use of the DXGI_FORMAT constants in RenderSystemDX and D3DResource I was able to make it use the 10-bit-per-pixel integer and 16-bit-per-pixel float formats without apparent issue due to all the preparation that you have already done.

Would you be interested in investigating this further with me?

I have access to hardware that should support it all to do some debugging on. Additionally I believe that the more recent consumer geforce drivers also show a drop-down that allows a selection of 8bpp or 12bpp when connected to a compatible TV through HDMI.

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average

Messages In This Thread
New build 14/02/2015 - by afedchin - 2015-02-14, 15:16
RE: Windows DirectX 11 upgrade test thread - by F_B_W - 2015-10-28, 15:52

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows DirectX 11 upgrade test thread3.56