• 46(current)
WIP Windows DirectX 11 upgrade test thread
There was a full-range/limited-range bug that I helped testing a while back, but was fixed and worked fine until now. Was something overlooked in the DX11 code that relates to this? Seems to be, anyway. The old thread is here. Same symptoms. http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=184998
(2015-12-01, 11:21)bossanova808 Wrote: @a11599 - hmm, so I checked all the relevant refresh rates (24, 50 and 60) - all are set to YCbCr 4:4:4. Kodi set to full range - Ui is fine, but video levels are still definitely not ok.

This is, however, with Jarvis B2.

I have no such issues with Isengard (although I have not yet tried the DX11 version of that). have you tried Jarvis B2?

Do you game or just watch videos because
(2015-12-01, 11:21)bossanova808 Wrote: @a11599 - hmm, so I checked all the relevant refresh rates (24, 50 and 60) - all are set to YCbCr 4:4:4. Kodi set to full range - Ui is fine, but video levels are still definitely not ok.

This is, however, with Jarvis B2.

I have no such issues with Isengard (although I have not yet tried the DX11 version of that). have you tried Jarvis B2?

Do you game or just watch videos because

16-235, Limited, is correct for Blu-ray, OTA, DirecTV, Dish, etc. Your video display device should also be set to this range (Limited).

0-255, Full, is correct for computers (I do not game but would assume games to be 0-255). Once again, your video display device should also be set to this range (Full).

I never use full range and only use limited as I only watch video on my system and don't play games since video eg. blu ray are designed and processed in limited format.
Which is a bit confusing, as you would think I would then see a difference between blacks on the PC and blacks on the cable box, just like I see the difference between v15 and v16 here. But both inputs are using identical settings that I calibrated on the full-range PC input, and both inputs' pictures seem the same to me.
Here is some more info on how it works.

http://referencehometheater.com/2014/com...s-limited/
At the moment, the directx11 version (well Kodi 16) is broken (levels are wrong, i.e. elevated) with AMD drivers in YCbCr mode, which is the default and what it seemingly resets to on every update/install.

And RGB mode in the AMD drivers appears to be broken, as least with Kodi.

I haven't yet had a chance to go back to 15.2 dx11 to test that, although seeing above it seems that is ok. I wonder if what that particular gui switch is doing has changed from V15 to 16 perhaps??
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
To clarify in issue with color range please do the followings:
1) Instal only latest Jarvis build from here http://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/win32/
2) Describe as detailed as possible you setup. Video Card, TV/Projector model, you system video settings.
3) Desribe as detailed as possible where on you oppition color range is wrong (or right): GUI and/or when playing video. Describe your Video Acceleration setting (Render Method, DXVA Hardware acceleration)
4) Post Debug Log for each movie when you see an issue.
The download link in the first post seems to be down, I searched the last few pages but it seems to be a recent issue since no one else mentioned it, is there a new link we could get the installer and pdb file from?
(2015-12-10, 21:17)Calleja Wrote: The download link in the first post seems to be down, I searched the last few pages but it seems to be a recent issue since no one else mentioned it, is there a new link we could get the installer and pdb file from?
Why not the v16 beta?
@afedchin

Ok, as requested.

JarvisB3 from the link you provided.

HARDWARE:

Kodi on Windows 7 64 Bit with
AMD A6 APU HD6530D
Catalyst 15.11.1 (Have also tried both earlier and the new Crimson drivers, all behaviour seems the same)
Windows desktop - 1920 * 1080 @ 60Hz, 10bpc
Currently I am using YCbCr 4:4:4 as the pixel format, as if I use RGB modes I get intermittent but completely repeatable flickering (in Kodi only as far as I can see, haven't see this flickering in desktop anyway).

VISUAL OUTPUTS:

HDMI -> Denon Amp X2100
Denon -> HDMI to both:
Panasonic P50V10 50" Plasma (don't know ho much you know about these but I have the black levels resetter on this so the blacks are super deep and very easy to see if right/wrong)
Sony VPL-HW40ES Projector

Both display devices exhibit the same issues described below (i.e. the wrong levels, and the flickering if using RGB mode in the drivers).

Kodi settings:
Using Full Screen #1 mode
Render Method DXVA, Allow DXVA2 yes, HQ Scalers above 0%

(Results in all cases are repeatable with both TV and projector)

DRIVERS SET TO YCbCR 4:4:4

Kodi set to full range:
UI Correct
Videos Bright

Kodi set to limited range:
UI Bright
Videos Bright

Debug Log For This:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1088...-ycbcr.log

DRIVERS SET TO RGB LIMITED:

(intermittent flickering issues)

Kodi set to full range:
UI Correct
Videos Correct

UI Bright
Videos Correct

Debug Log For This:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1088...imited.log

DRIVERS SET TO RGB FULL

(intermittent flickering issues)

Kodi set to full range:
UI Dark
Videos Correct

UI Correct
Videos Correct

Debug Log For This:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1088...gbfull.log

In summary:

YCbCr - can not get the levels behaviour correct

RGB Limited - can get the levels behaviour correct but flickering issues - I presume this is the preferred setting but the flickering, though irregular, makes it unusable. I have thoroughly tested ports, cables, etc, and the issues occurs with two separate output devices.

RGB Full - can get the levels behaviour correct but flickering issues
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
hi, i use an amd a6 richtland, win 8.1 and kodi 15.2dx11 and have set my drivers to: YCbCR 4:4:4 (+limited color room). i dont have this flickering. to me all seems ok. but i would like to know what should be the "best setting" or the "right setting" in drivers? YCbCR 4:4:4 or rgb limited? whats the difference?
@Ed76 - i don't have flickering with YCbCr either, that's why I am using it.

Ideally I think RGB Limited (when using with a limited TV) - is probably right.
some time ago i read in another forum YCbCR 4:4:4 (+limited color room in catalyst) is the right setting (with limited tv). i do not remember exactly why (it should have something to do with color conversions). what say the experts here? afedchin :-) ?
No gpu use rgb so you should use rgb to avoid a conversion in windows.
For what I know best settings for kodi are:
set the gpu settings to rgb full 4:4:4
enable the limit range in kodi from settings
set the hdmi input from tv settings as "limited".
THis is the only way I found out you can avoid banding for 4:2:0 to 4:4:4 conversion and keeping the limited range color (of course the yCbCr to rgb is impossible to avoid since the gpu works with rgb)
  • 46(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows DirectX 11 upgrade test thread6