From MediaPortal and Windows to Kodi and Linux
Just like the subject says what I'm trying to do.

Some questions in here are probably obvious to many of you who are pretty active in the community.
For a beginner like me much is confusing, obviously there are many ways to do something but there are simpler or better ways than others.
Searching trough the community and the internets I find much info, some work and some don't. Some are very old and some are confusing and a few just wrong.

So lets start with what I've got in terms of hardware, move on to what I intend to use it for and how far my config have gotten.
My TV Server will run on virtual hardware (Hyper-V) and the software will be tvheadend on Ubuntu Server 14.04. The tuner right now is hdhomerun but will later be Sat>IP.
I will have two Kodi frontends running Openelec on Intel NUC DC3217IYE, I will control these using Microsoft MCE Remotes emulated trough Harmony 300i and Harmony 900, the ir reciever is (eHome RC6).
Both NUCs will be connected directly to my TVs using HDMI. One of the TVs is maybe four or five years old the one in my livingroom is a fairly new '55 LG TV.
Now, if any of these raise your eyebrowns or alarms going of please let me know what to change and what to correct, and what the problem is.
It might not be recommended to run Openelec on my hardware and you may recommend me to run Ubuntu other Linux or even Windows or something else, and if I need to get some other hardware for some reason please explain what and why.

Initial intended use, you may post cool stuff to do that I currently have no idea I can do Smile
I've been running MediaPortal for years, before that I actually used XBMC on the original XBOX, yes I'm that old...

Starting out I look for add-ons, but searching for add-ons gives me very little information and if I search for things that I would like I find nothing, then going on google I find a lot and then searching for the name of the plugin on Kodi I can find what I need, is there a way to full text search or something? Like if I search for Spotify I will actually find all plugins that plays Spotify without knowing the name of the add-on.
While on the subject of add-ons, i have two repositories added, Openelec and Kodi, are there more and am I missing out on the "best stuff"?

Live TV will go trough tvheadend, and this might not be the right place to talk about it but my guess is many of you use it. I have the server up and running and everything is fine so no problem there, however. In MediaPortal I have mpextended to view tv on my phone or trough a webbrowser at my GF place when needed. What is the best way to do this using the configuration I have intended? Should I move tvheadend and run that on one of the frontends on Openelec and try to get some remote stuff done that way or leave the tvheadend where it is and add something to Kodi, or is there some kind of add-on for tvheadend and that way get access to Live TV on other devices and away from home. The same thing goes for Movies and TV-Series. I sometimes work in other cities and it's really nice to have access to my stuff away from home.

Movies and TV-Series
I kind of understand how this is done, but I need to rename many of my files I guess? What is a good and current tool to do that with? Preferably on Windows since my files are all stored on a Windows machine. In Moving Pictures and TV-Series on MediaPortal I can select correct movie and stuff like that for things that are incorrectly identified or not identified at all, how to do that on Kodi? I asked a friend of mine and he told me to install Plex mediaserver on my fileserver and let Kodi be a client to it, is that the best choice?

I will have two Openelec frontends, how do I sync watchlist and things between them? On Mediaportal I have configured Trakt to keep track of what I have watched, unfortunately that does not cover picking up where I left off on one client to the next, just fully watched movies or episodes. I've seen some fairly old posts about this from back in 2012 and earlier, still the same way to do some sync to a db server or something?

Configuring a MCE Remote seem to bee somewhat confusing. There are many solutions to doing this but my guess is that there is a community default solution"? If so, point me to the right one please Smile
If I press guide button on the remote i expect EPG to show up but I got codec info. Pressing the sleep button I expect it to sleep but it goes power off.

Music, I have figured out how to do that, i probably will just stick with a folder list since many many many files are not correctly named at all and sorting trough this will take forever :/ Mostly I play my music trough Spotify, there seem to be some different clients for it, any of you might suggest the best one? What it need to do is basically play playlists but playlists based radio would also be nice.

In MediaPortal there is Onlinevideos. My one stop place for SVT Play, TV4 Play, Youtube and so on. What is and is there something like this for Kodi?

So what do I have right now?
Right now the tvheadend server is configured up and running. I need to get some EPG done and configure some stuff for recordings, but all in all it plays nicely and is fully functional. I have a testclient with Kodi on Windows and it runs fine, it's just on a computer where I work to watch some tv in a windowed version on Kodi. One of my NUCs is up and running on Openelec i have configured tvheadend add-on and it runs fine. I tried importing my Movies but that's when I realized filenames where very important Wink So, things that should work out of the box just work out of the box Smile

Picture quality.
Like I've said before I used (and still to some extent are) on Windows using MediaPortal. Picture quality is really good and I have defenetly not done any special configuration and calibration at all. There is a "Perfect playback guide" that you can run trough if you like, but I use the 5 min quick setup guide using LAV filters.
Picture quality on Kodi is in comparison very poor, both on Live TV, series and movies no matter if I use SD or HD content or if I'm on Linux or Windows. The picture is not "choppy" and I have enabled the match refreshrate to video, but the overall quality of the picture is far from as good. This probably is just a configuration setting and calibration, but how do I improve image quality?

Sorry for the long post, thankful for info Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
From MediaPortal and Windows to Kodi and Linux0