Today Kodi is a great piece of open source software for playing almost all kinds of media files. There are so many features we can use e.g. PVR for watching TV, BluRay support with MakeMKV or AnyDVD, watching online streams and so on. The list seems to be endless, but there is some feature I miss.
Today Kodi can't replace an complete AV-Receiver. Sure we can use a computer and it's sound card with a connected surround system, but we can't do Audio Digital Signal Processing (ADSP) with Kodi. If you follow Alwinus and mine thread about Adding ADSP to AddonManager, than you know that there is some development for ADSP. Sure it's far away to be finished and every week we improve its features.
For my Addon adsp.xconvolver I need some module, that allows to measure room impulse responses. With that module we can improve our room impulse responses and push ActiveAE to the next level of listening experience. That modul will allow us to use Digital Room Correction (DRC) insdide Kodi without external software.
Thats only one case for our ADSP-System with adsp.xconvolver, but more are possible such as:
- Room Simulator
- Head Related Transfer Functions (HRTF)
How will I achieve this / What will the project focus on
Through we already have a running ADSP-System in Kodi, my project will focus on implementing AESource in ActiveAE, Digital Room Correction functions into adsp.xconvolver and improving adsp.template.
Here is some signal flow graph, where you can see the AESource module:
Benefits / Goals
Measure impulse responses from our listening rooms and improve listening experience through Digital Room Correction.
For me the big picture is to replace my AV-Receiver with an HTPC and Kodi.
What does it touch in Kodi
- OS AudioAPI
- new ADSP-System
I have to learn:
- Knowledge of ActiveAE codebase
- Knowledge of OS AudioAPI to implement AESource
- C/C++, C#, Python and a little bit of Java programming
- Knowledge in Digital Signal Processing
- Knowledge of our ADSP-System and its Addon structure
I'm not sure if the schematic is correct, so please tell me the errors.
What do you think about my proposal?
Status: Student Passed
Here is the link to my GSoC documentation.
Here you can find the current source code for adsp.xconvolver repository.
- replaced "DRC" by "Digital Room Correction" to prevent confusion
- added link from wikipedia for Digital Room Correction
- added links for adsp.template and adsp.xconvolver
- 25.03.2014: changed title of this proposal , to make it clearer
- 29.09.2015: Add GSoC documentation, Updated Mentors