DVD ISO Playback issues on Kodibuntu 14.1
I am having an odd problem with DVD ISO playback that only occurs on Kodibuntu running on an older PC that I have.

IMPORTANT: The problem does NOT occur when I install Kodi on my 2009 iMac.

I have backup ISO images of my Star Wars DVD collection. I like using Kodi to play from the backup ISO rather than risk my DVD's getting scratched.

When I play Episodes IV, V or VI, I have two audio options for English audio:

1) English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround EX (aka: "English - AC3 5.1")
2) English 2.0 Dolby Surround (aka: "English - AC3 Stereo")

If I select option (1) then after the opening crawl I then see "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..." displayed again, but this time in Spanish.
After the crawl goes through in Spanish, it repeats in Spanish indefinitely.

However, if I select option (2) then the movie plays normally.

So my solution to this was to simply playback the DVD using option (2).

HOWEVER, Episodes I, II, and III ONLY have the "English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround EX" option (aka: "English - AC3 5.1").

When I play these movies I get the repeating Spanish version of the opening crawl.

Now while I can already here people saying that the prequels are not worth watching anyway, I'd still like to get this resolved.

Does anybody know if this is a hardware issue on my machine? Do I need a specific sound card on Linux to playback DVD's with these audio formats?

Please do not tell me to just rip the DVD and convert the movie to MP4 format. My wife likes the whole "DVD menu" feature, so I agreed to do pure ISO rips for any DVDs we have after we decided to go with XBMC after throwing away too many scratched DVDs. Further, the Star Wars series is something we cannot yet repurchase on iTunes in 1080p.

For reference, the machine is an old Dell Optiplex 360 with 2GB of RAM and an nVidia 256mb graphics card for 1080p support (note: I had the same problem when using the on-board graphics as well, but I had to run the display at 480p which made the Kodi home screen menu look janky -- so I bought a $12 video card on eBay to get 1080p).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DVD ISO Playback issues on Kodibuntu 14.10