Android AFTV - Kodi uses software decoding for h264, playback stutters
I guess this is the same problem that several other FireTV owners seem to have with Kodi: After a fresh reboot of the FireTV, Kodi plays HD videos just fine, but after a while playback of HD content starts to stutter.

The problem seems to be that Kodi falls back to software decoding. Codecinfo shows dc:ff-h264 and the logfile shows that opening mediacodec and libstagefright both failed (log here). When I play the same file after a reboot Kodi can usw mediacodec successfully (log here).

So a reboot does fix the problem temporarily, but it's not exactly a very convenient solution Wink
If you have both mediacodec and libstagefrifht selected then it will not use libstagefright.

Deselect mediacodec and use libstagefright only. Once you deselect mediacodec you may need to restart Kodi.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Are you using stock, unrooted, AFTV ?
Wait... So if Amazon Fire TV cannot (or barley) handle h.264, then there is no chance it can handle h.265?
(2015-02-27, 08:19)Koying Wrote: Are you using stock, unrooted, AFTV ?
Yes.
(2015-02-27, 09:47)sillylilwabbit Wrote: Wait... So if Amazon Fire TV cannot (or barley) handle h.264, then there is no chance it can handle h.265?

Nope. The Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 doesn't do h265 in h/w, nor does it do 4K.
(2015-02-27, 10:49)Eazee Wrote:
(2015-02-27, 08:19)Koying Wrote: Are you using stock, unrooted, AFTV ?
Yes.

Don't know, then. Looks like the AFTV VPU gets stuck at one point, and only a reboot does it.
When you get this, please try youtube. It might be related to reports of youtube/netflix not functioning at some point after using Kodi.

I never succeeded at reproducing myself, and it seems this was solved by a recent fw update.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AFTV - Kodi uses software decoding for h264, playback stutters0