• 5(current)
Proposal for small Forum Structure change
Sorry for not noticing the other report. as I say, it is no huge drama.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Now I'm seeing the issue, but I think it's more to do with sticky posts being a larger font or a different class.

Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
I like to add another suggestion which is to merge all the GSOC"year" subforums into only one "GSOC" forum.

Please consider having only one subforum for "GSOC" as right now now there are five subforums dedicated for just GSOC, with one subforum one for each year. Why not only have one? If there is a need to have dedicated forum?

http://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93

Arguments for only one subforum for it is that it is at least easier to find other idea and discussions from other years. Arguments for not having a dedicated would be less clutter and good if a project extends longer.
(2015-03-03, 14:33)RockerC Wrote: I like to add another suggestion which is to merge all the GSOC"year" subforums into only one "GSOC" forum.

Please consider having only one subforum for "GSOC" as right now now there are five subforums dedicated for just GSOC, with one subforum one for each year. Why not only have one? If there is a need to have dedicated forum?

http://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93

Arguments for only one subforum for it is that it is at least easier to find other idea and discussions from other years. Arguments for not having a dedicated would be less clutter and good if a project extends longer.

I'd vote against that as each year will hold content relevant to that year.

I'm liking the new layout...

...but can I put a pitch in for PsuedoTV Live to get a subforum wherever you feel appropriate. If someone is trying to get that up and running, comes here for help and is confronted with that behemoth of a thread, it could put them off forever!
(2015-03-02, 20:52)Kib Wrote: You do have moderator on a few forums I believe. Hmm interesting

Edit: It also explains why I didn't see anything, I always get that bar so an used to it.

I still seem to have moderator privileges when using 'View New Posts' and 'View Today's Posts'.
(2015-03-04, 00:24)Hitcher Wrote:
(2015-03-02, 20:52)Kib Wrote: You do have moderator on a few forums I believe. Hmm interesting

Edit: It also explains why I didn't see anything, I always get that bar so an used to it.

I still seem to have moderator privileges when using 'View New Posts' and 'View Today's Posts'.

Shh! So do I. I'm going to assume they are either there by error or realise that we're* not likely to abuse them. Both assumptions could be wrong.

[edit] *that you're less likely to abuse them and that I'm incompetent.

@Hitcher - you have mod rights for your skin forums and these seem to somehow trigger the inline mod functions in the search view. But you should only be able to select threads/posts from forums you actually can moderate
Kib, you're going to hate me. I have a further suggestion for the Add-on support area. I'll go through the basics before writing a detailed layout, just to see what you think.

The Problem
Please see Add-on Support -> Video Add-ons (the problem should be obvious).
It comes down to 170 pages of add-ons which makes it near impossible to find the correct one or browse in a constructive manner (I know, the Wiki exists).

The Solution
Split some add-on types (support forum only) into section - similar to the way the "General Support" sub-forum is handled.

A very rough idea of this is the following:

Idea 1
Video add-ons
- Official Repository (covers all included in the repo.)
(from here we split into major languages as most can be defined by language and/or country locks)
- English
- Spanish
- etc

Idea 2
Video add-ons
- Network Players (covers HBO, iPlayer, USTV, 4oD, USTVNow, YleAreena, Ruutu, etc.)
- On Demand (Pay) (covers Netflix, Amazon, etc.)
- On Demand (Free) (covers items that aren't channel networks and do not require payment to work)
- Music Videos (Vevo and numerous others)
- Other

My preference is Idea 2, it's not a massive change but, as with the recent forum changes, it makes browsing that section not feel like an endless list.

(2015-03-14, 03:33)Piers Wrote: Idea 2
Video add-ons
- Network Players (covers HBO, iPlayer, USTV, 4oD, USTVNow, YleAreena, Ruutu, etc.)
- On Demand (Free) (covers items that aren't channel networks and do not require payment to work)
- Other

My preference is Idea 2, it's not a massive change but, as with the recent forum changes, it makes browsing that section not feel like an endless list.

Out of curiosity, where would you put hybrids? There are admittedly not many, but I know, for example, the Roosterteeth addon contains both free content and content that's only playable if you become a registered site sponsor.
(2015-03-14, 21:37)natethomas Wrote:
(2015-03-14, 03:33)Piers Wrote: Idea 2
Video add-ons
- Other

Out of curiosity, where would you put hybrids? There are admittedly not many, but I know, for example, the Roosterteeth addon contains both free content and content that's only playable if you become a registered site sponsor.

The same could be said about the wonderful Amazon add-on - I tested it with a free account and it let me watch a few episodes. The idea with the above post is more to trigger a discussion about a possible structure change, you're right, however, add-ons such as Roosterteeth don't really fit in anywhere with my proposal. Although, I would personally it to 'On Demand (Pay)' since it allows payment for content. The 'On Demand (Free)' would only be for add-ons that don't have the option for service payment.

Here's another suggestion -

Make the Skin WIP forum for skinners only (or at least give us somewhere to share our work privately) so we don't have to put up with what amounts to abuse for not releasing them until we're good and ready.

I've already had my Fire TV thread locked because I've had enough of trying to explain myself when I shouldn't have to in a forum that is titled Work In Progress and now I get this as a result -

(2015-03-16, 21:03)TheLegendOfMart Wrote: What a surprise another skinner throwing their toys out of the pram because people are questioning where skins are.

I agree people shouldn't act entitled but why tease people with skins and then never release them or take months and months, its frustrating.

If you don't have anything ready for release in a short timeframe then don't tease them and please don't give me the "but I have a job" cop-out non-answer, if you don't have the time then don't make skins.

Awaits "you can always make your own skin" comments.

I love this community but I'm getting very close to keeping my work to myself.
(2015-03-16, 22:39)Hitcher Wrote: Here's another suggestion -

Make the Skin WIP forum for skinners only (or at least give us somewhere to share our work privately) so we don't have to put up with what amounts to abuse for not releasing them until we're good and ready.

I've already had my Fire TV thread locked because I've had enough of trying to explain myself when I shouldn't have to in a forum that is titled Work In Progress and now I get this as a result -

(2015-03-16, 21:03)TheLegendOfMart Wrote: What a surprise another skinner throwing their toys out of the pram because people are questioning where skins are.

I agree people shouldn't act entitled but why tease people with skins and then never release them or take months and months, its frustrating.

If you don't have anything ready for release in a short timeframe then don't tease them and please don't give me the "but I have a job" cop-out non-answer, if you don't have the time then don't make skins.

Awaits "you can always make your own skin" comments.

I love this community but I'm getting very close to keeping my work to myself.

Absolutely +1

In my opinion, the example you've quoted above is counter-productive and rude.

Absolutely agree.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
How about if we made the Skin WIP forum read-only? with only a Skinners group, moderators and Team members having write access. This allows anyone to view and be inspired by the work going which helps keep the open source spirit of developing in the open, but prevents that kind of crap.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Proposal for small Forum Structure change0