DTS Master HD
Hello,

here's a lot of to read and really thanks for the absolute great work.
But finding a simply answer ist not easy.

I am usind an MacMini Late 12 connected via HDMI to an Pio AVR.
Plex is running very good but doesent support DTS Master HD.

Is KODI supporting DTS Master HD on a MacMini?
Nobody supports DTS Master HD on mac osx.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Mac_FAQ#Audio_issu...o_playback

TrueHD can be decoded by kodi and transfered via LPCM to your avr if it supports 8 channel pcm. But there is no way to passthrough any hd audio formats (and there is also no way for decoding DTS HD formats and send them via 8channel pcm...).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Thx.
What about Windows? Got an 8.1 license here.
If i install win 8.1 and Kodi. Does ist work?
One question I could not find a definitive answer about: when decoding DTS-HD MA to LPCM, in 7.1 channels, is Kodi actually decoding the full DTS-HD MA or its core part?
Any way to be sure?
Thanks
atm only core afaik. DTS-HD MA 7.1 decode might come in future versions of ffmpeg and will be available to kodi then too.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
This sounds encouraging if you have a 2014 Mac.....

Quote:I've just bought a new 7.1 Amp, the Yamaha RXV677 from Richer Sounds. It handles DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 and Dolby TrueHD 7.1. Up until now I've not been able to try this sound format out as my current 2009 Mac Mini only sends audio through the Optical Out, so the best I can get is Dolby Digital 5.1 pass thru via S/PDIF. I was quite happy with this arrangement, until I get around to buying a blu-ray player.

However, I realised my work laptop is a 2014 MacBook Pro with HDMI out. Therefore out of curiosity I decided to download a couple of HD demos from demo-world.eu that have DTS-HD MA 7.1 audio tracks embedded in them. I tried opening them up in VLC media player (version 2.1.5) and hooked up my 2014 MacBook Pro via HDMI to my Amp. To my amazement it worked!! - I got glorious 7.1 DTS-MA into my Amp, and it sounded simply stunning!! In VLC I had two HDMI audio devices to choose from 'HDMI' and 'Encoded HDMI' (or something like that - I'll have to hook it up again to be sure).

When using straight HDMI output, my Amp read it as 'PCM Audio' but when using 'Encoded HDMI' it read it as 7.1 DTS Audio giving the sample rate and bit rate. I need to spend a bit more time testing this out - but it definitely works, and it definitely plays in surround from all my available speakers (I have a 5.1 setup, so can't test the other 2 surround channels).

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5003018?tstart=0

(2015-05-17, 18:25)Memphiz Wrote: atm only core afaik. DTS-HD MA 7.1 decode might come in future versions of ffmpeg and will be available to kodi then too.

Thank you for your answer.
When displaying info, Kodi shows “DTA-HD MA”, but is there a way to tell what it’s sending to the amp?
(2015-05-17, 19:55)wrxtasy Wrote: This sounds encouraging if you have a 2014 Mac.....

Quote:I've just bought a new 7.1 Amp, the Yamaha RXV677 from Richer Sounds. It handles DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 and Dolby TrueHD 7.1. Up until now I've not been able to try this sound format out as my current 2009 Mac Mini only sends audio through the Optical Out, so the best I can get is Dolby Digital 5.1 pass thru via S/PDIF. I was quite happy with this arrangement, until I get around to buying a blu-ray player.

However, I realised my work laptop is a 2014 MacBook Pro with HDMI out. Therefore out of curiosity I decided to download a couple of HD demos from demo-world.eu that have DTS-HD MA 7.1 audio tracks embedded in them. I tried opening them up in VLC media player (version 2.1.5) and hooked up my 2014 MacBook Pro via HDMI to my Amp. To my amazement it worked!! - I got glorious 7.1 DTS-MA into my Amp, and it sounded simply stunning!! In VLC I had two HDMI audio devices to choose from 'HDMI' and 'Encoded HDMI' (or something like that - I'll have to hook it up again to be sure).

When using straight HDMI output, my Amp read it as 'PCM Audio' but when using 'Encoded HDMI' it read it as 7.1 DTS Audio giving the sample rate and bit rate. I need to spend a bit more time testing this out - but it definitely works, and it definitely plays in surround from all my available speakers (I have a 5.1 setup, so can't test the other 2 surround channels).

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5003018?tstart=0
Just tried, and nope, doesn’t work, amp reports DTS 96/24 in 5.1, not DTS-HD MA as it does when on Windows.
(Mac Pro (late 2013) here)
So just the DTS core then. Apple sure knows how to confuse people with their marketing.

Straight from the Apple FAQ....
Quote:Which type of audio works with Macs using HDMI?

Apple supports 8-channel, 24-bit audio at 192kHz, Dolby Surround 5.1, and traditional stereo output.

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT204388

Yup, that’s why I’d love to know what gets decoded thru LPCM…
Its 5.1 lpcm atm - as said there is no dts hd 7.1 hd decoder atm.
Next version of FFmpeg will have full DTS-HD MA support so the ability to decode to 7.1 LPCM should come in Kodi v16.
DTS HD-MA (and Dolby TrueHD) decode to LPCM is fine on my macOS system, so does normal DTS (and AC3) on passthrough.

I would like to know if there is a way to force the DTS HD-MA decode when DTS HD-MA is available and still send DTS when DTS HD-MA not available.

in System>Audio>Passthrough I have only one tick for DTS which does not allow me to do so :

When tick is ON
- movie with DTS HD-MA : DTS sent to my A/V receiver
- movie with only DTS : DTS sent to my A/V receiver

When tick is OFF
- movie with DTS HD-MA : LPCM sent to my A/V receiver
- movie with only DTS : LPCM sent to my A/V receiver

Is it possible to have :
- movie with DTS HD-MA : LPCM sent to my A/V receiver
- movie with only DTS : DTS sent to my A/V receiver

If not, can you create an option to force decode on HD audios (DTS HD-MA and Dolby TrueHD/Atmos) and still have passthough on "regular" audio (DTS, AC3) ?
May i ask why you even wanna use passthrough in the first place?
(2017-04-07, 07:39)Memphiz Wrote: May i ask why you even wanna use passthrough in the first place?
Of courses you may ! The reason why is simply the fact I have a quality audio set (Marantz A/V receiver + Cabasse 5.1) and I want to use at it's full capacity.
I run macOS on an old (and rather cheap) NUC (hackintosh) and I seriously consider switching to Win10 just to have this feature as HD audio is supported on this OS.

I didn't notice a big difference when DTS is decoded by the NUC or by the A/V receiver, but I really like to see the type of audio on the screen of my A/V receiver ... that's it Blush

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DTS Master HD0