External Hard Disk
i have modchipped my xbox installed evox as my dashboard and have also installed xbox media center
since the xbox only has 8 gb harddisk, is it possible to stick an external harddisk via usb to a xbox usb adpapter into an xbox. I have read that if you stick a usb flash drive or your ipod it will format it to fatx, and treat it like a memory card with its own drive letter allocated to it , is it possible to do this to an external hardisk. reason being i want to put my media files on the external harddisk i find the idea of tampering with the internal hardisk, at the moment, worrying, as im still not all to experienced at this. if this is possible is there anything that i ned to know about like is there a limit to as to what the size of the harddisk should be, as i have an xecuter bios. and wot is 'compatible' with the xbox and wot r the pros and cons of doing this. i see that i will ned fatxplorer or xplorer 360 to view the contents of the hardisik once it has a fatx filesystem if at any time i ned to connect it to a pc to add more media files. and also if later in the future i decide to put in a larger hardisk into the xbox and do not require the external hardisk to be connected to the xbox and so i can use it on the pc , is it possible to reformat it to fat32 --->> just ned to clarify this.
thanks in advance.
Every1 seems to be talking about adding fat32/fat16 support to the xbox native applications like xbmc since the devs r unwilling to add this support due to a lot of work and little gain, but wot i think is y not just have fatx support on the pc, so let the xbox format the external harddisk to fatx and then reconnect the external hd to the pc via usb and use a app like fatxplorer/xplorer360 to add content to the hd and then hook it back to the xbox again, but does these apps have support for usb/ firewire as it only talks about ide harddisks in their readme files. Come on guys some 1 must know the answer to this!!!!

...and it seems the bios only allows 137gb max partition sizes, cant remember, so does this also effect the external harddisk? as a 120gb harddisk is more than sufficient for my needs

ps i no this is has been posted before but there has beeen no clear answer to this and to the questions i have asked here...
thanks in advance
bump

this threads been viewed 60 times so im sure alot of people want to know how to get this working cumon developers!!!! answer!!!
If you read the fat16/32 dev thread you would know that this very unlikely.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
im not talking about fat16/32 implementation into xbmc im talking about other apps that can be installed onto a pc that can access a fatx formatted external hardisk that is connnected via a usb. i have read that thread which is very unclear as to whether it can be done as there a people who claim that they have managed to do it whehter others have said that they couldnt get it to work. i just would like a clear answer to my questions stated above as a external hardisk surely must act like a memory card once formatted in fatxHuh
it may. its well known that usb memory sticks will get automatically formatted to fatx when connected to an xbox. i cannot comment on whether or not an external usb hard drive would work. why dont you try it and let us know?

and yes, there are some tools available which can mount a fatx partition and a fatx memory stick. check out the xbox-linux.org/wiki and xbox-scene.com. they are commonly refered to in tutorials about installing a softmod without a real xbox memory stick.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
hmm lol im only 14 and have no job so i ned to cough up sum cash to buy a external hd first i just wanted information to see whether this is possible so i know that i havent bought a hd for nothing.
ive been searching the forums and found that if an exernal hd is connected to the xbox it can be formatted to fatx in the ms dashboard once formatted and if i am to connect it to a pc running windows obviously it wont be able to read the harddisk due to a different filesystem. but i have found that xplorer 360 can write to memory cards and so can read fatx filesystems can i use this feature to copy media files over to the fatx formatted external hardisk that is connected to the pc via a usb and if this is possible i should be able to connect it back to the xbox and xbmc should read the media files on the hd. and thus eliminating the ned to implement fat16/32 into xbmc.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ss+storage
Butcher Wrote:memory units are now supported. usb hdds with fat-x format should also work, but that's untested.
mus are mounted on their default drive letters, which is f:-m: depending on port. if you have f: and g: as extra partitions on your hdd, you won't be able to use the ports on controller one for memory units.

it seems xbmc does support it, so my only questions remain is that is their any size limitations as i have a x2 bios and also is there an app that can be used on the pc to access fatx hd connected via usb to ur computer to read and write to itHuh
hXr.eXe Wrote:is that is their any size limitations
if I remember correctly then the limit is 4GB, but I'm not sure so please read through that USB topic-thread you linked to.

hXr.eXe Wrote:is there an app that can be used on the pc to access fatx hd connected via usb to ur computer to read and write to it?
I haven't tested it but I think XBox-Saves Manager support it, there are also some tools available on xbox-scene.com (do a search for "fatx").

PS! Why don't you read the existing topic-thread (that you yourself linked to) where I'm sure all of this has already been asked, answered and explained before?!
Just my 2 cents worth.

If you want to attach an external drive to your xbox the best way to do this is to use a nas device and connect to the lan port, several companies make external harddrive enclosures with usb & ethernet connectivity (just make sure it supports smb).

I have tested this myself with a linksys nslu2 (using latest firmware), you can even connect a 4 port hub to this device and allow for 4 external drives.
As the nslu2 supports fat32/ntsc discs and uses samba, when you want to change or update amy of your drives you just unplug it from the nslu2 and connect it to your pc/laptop via usb.

Easy!! No need to format with FatxSmile
Gamester17 Wrote:PS! Why don't you read the existing topic-thread (that you yourself linked to) where I'm sure all of this has already been asked, answered and explained before?!

i have several times and yes people have asked these questiosn but no 'straight to the point' answer has been given like you have, btw thank you you have clarified most of my questions.

@ zippy the reason why im doing this is to eliminate the requirement of a network so i have no interest in a NAS at the mo.

so much for hooking up a 120 gb external harddisk mite as well go for a 4gb usb flash stick then.
ty for your time. Smile
zippy101 suggested is still better, there are many NAS drives which enclosures are just as small as external USB drives and a few of them have both LAN (RJ-45) and USB 2.0 connection, ...then you couldn't have the size problem and you can hook that NAS drive up to your Xbox LAN port using a 1-meter cross-over network cable, thus not having to setup a 'real' network
hmm i think i probably need to do a bit more research into this before i decide what to do, the thing is that ive got a wireless bridge connected to my xbox on the lan port so i can use the xbox for xbox live and browsing the internet so the only way i can connect a nas is through the ethernet port on my router and that leads me back to the fact i dont realy want to stream media files over a wireless network but does eliminate the fact that i dont need my pc on to access the media files from xbmc.
well thanks for your time anyhow you guys have helped out quite a bit!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
External Hard Disk0