AFTV: Cannot Write to Windows SMB share
I suck with licenses Wink
What is exactly the issue of using gplv3 on android builds again?
linking against or directly using GPL3 code makes the whole program GPL3. Thats only possible if you use GPLv2+ on the main prog, as v2 and v3 are incompatible.
Since I'm in no way an expert on the matter, I have no idea if dyloading counts as linking as well.
Next obvious question is what's the issue on making the main prog GPLv2+? Wink
koying gplv3 forbids using the software in a set-top box without providing means for the user to root the box and change the software. Not sure how it would work if you install Kodi through google play.
Wow, you guys are on this, and your time and effort is appreciated. Self admittingly, this has morphed into an issue way above my head. I'm going to let the Kodi grown ups talk on this. Kudos Team Kodi.
(2015-03-06, 16:52)Paxxi Wrote: koying gplv3 forbids using the software in a set-top box without providing means for the user to root the box and change the software. Not sure how it would work if you install Kodi through google play.

Why do you need kodi to be possible to deploy to a set box that way?

If it is installed from play it is not distributed with the device.
I assume you refere to this
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#Tivoization
(2015-03-06, 16:52)Paxxi Wrote: koying gplv3 forbids using the software in a set-top box without providing means for the user to root the box and change the software. Not sure how it would work if you install Kodi through google play.
Well, we provide a package, not a set-top box. We don't care if that prevents 3rd parties to include Kodi in non-rooted firmwares. I'd say it's actually an added bonus and probably something we want.
What @vikjon0 describes surely doesn't apply to us...

That isn't quite accurate. You just have to be able to make changes to the software and run them on the box. Rooting is only necessary if the licensed software itself requires rooting to run, which Kodi doesn't on Android.
As discussed elsewhere, since Android appears to have become the preferred STB OS of choice, and Kodi merely sits on top of it, it appears our push away from the GPL3 license matters somewhat less anymore. People probably aren't going to create another Boxee Box using Kodi software.
Just an FYI for the sake of thoroughness, I wanted to note that Windows Server 2012 has the same issue. I'm using Win Server 2012 R2 as my backend with AFTVs and couldn't figure out why I was having SMB sharing problems until I read this thread. I found a MS technet article that stated Win Server 2012 is using the same, newer SMB 3.0 that Win 8 is. As noted in this thread, switching to NFS shares fixed my sharing issues.

But I just wanted to point that out for anyone updating the Kodi Wiki or reading this in the future.

edit:grammar
Current equipment in my "Kodi system", v17.1:
HTPC Win 10, i5 4690K 3.5 GHz, 8GB RAM, Nvida GTX 970, 500GB SSD
Nvidia Shield TV 16GB w/ Flirc and 64GB microSD card
1st gen Fire TV Stick, (for traveling)
Qnap 431+ NAS w/ 9TB
HDHomeRun Plus/Extend
Old DTV remotes, Yatse app and Logitech Harmony Smart Control
This should be fixed in nightly builds.
(2015-04-09, 20:07)wsnipex Wrote: This should be fixed in nightly builds.

Awesome. Thank you, and everyone at Team-Kodi who worked on this, for your quick attention and response to this issue.
Current equipment in my "Kodi system", v17.1:
HTPC Win 10, i5 4690K 3.5 GHz, 8GB RAM, Nvida GTX 970, 500GB SSD
Nvidia Shield TV 16GB w/ Flirc and 64GB microSD card
1st gen Fire TV Stick, (for traveling)
Qnap 431+ NAS w/ 9TB
HDHomeRun Plus/Extend
Old DTV remotes, Yatse app and Logitech Harmony Smart Control
(2015-03-05, 12:15)wsnipex Wrote: OE uses samba 3.6.25 vs our really old 3.0.17. The problem with newer samba is that it's GLPv3. Should read the Samba user guide more carefully

That's correct. Thanks for pointing out.
Sorry to bring this thread up again, but this problem bugs the hell out of me. I'm in the same situation: AFTV with Kodi 14.2, media is on a Win8.1 machine with SMB share. Since I can't write to the shares I can't use the library backup feature or artwork downloader.
Since wsnipex mentioned that this should be fixed in the nightlies, can we expect this to be fixed in Kodi 15 final?
Thanks in advance
... same here, AFTV, Windows 8.1 as media source and cannot export my libraries in order to migrate them to MySQL.
Any ETA on when to expect a fix on that? Or is there a beta build somewhere that already has it included? Big Grin

update: Ok, I rephrase: "is this part of the 15.x nightlys"?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AFTV: Cannot Write to Windows SMB share0