Project Idea: UPnP ContentDirectory implementation using OhNet
I'm not a student but this is a project idea I've actually looked into myself a year or so ago but never had the time to really work on and I'm be happy to mentor it if a student is interested.

OhNet is a cross-platform UPnP stack provided by the OpenHome project and contains basic interfaces/implementations for all objects and resources defined in most of the UPnP specifications with an addition of OpenHome specific stuff which improves playlist handling and other things not properly covered by any UPnP specification.
Kodi relies on the Platinum UPnP SDK which has very limited possibilities to extend the existing functionality. Furthermore any extensions fixes need to be coded into code not maintained by Team Kodi. Therefore moving to a different UPnP implementation that provides a similar feature set but can be easily extended would have a high benefit for Kodi.

The main goal is to develop a UPnP ContentDirectory implementation using the OhNet UPnP stack (see a0596372c6398e1bbf7fb0534ad21d510604d2f8 for a start) either inside or separate of Kodi that supports most of the features specified in the UPnP ContentDirectory specification. An additional goal would be to make it easily extensible (think UPnP profiles and vendor-specific properties) without having to touch the actual implementation.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Hello, my name is Robin and I study IT at Technical University of Liberec, Czech Republic. I am working (got assignment a week ago) on project about UPnP/DLNA and it's integration to intelligent homes. It's not a big project - just for 1 semester, but it should be a research for my Diploma thesis (2016), so it is about uderstanding of this protocol. My Diploma thesis supervisor wants me to write a DLNA server which would be easy to use and "cool" enough to integrate into systems used in intelligent houses.

I see this as an opportunity to understand this problematics and do something useful. I did my Bachelor's degree in Logistics so I do not think I am as much experienced programmer as other participants... What is the difficulty of this project? Is this a good choice for me as not so much experienced programmer?
Thanks for your interest. It's hard to assess the difficulty of this project because I have not looked very deep into OhNet. An advantage certainly is that there is a specification for UPnP ContentDirectory so you don't have to make stuff up on your own but rather use what is provided by OhNet to implement what is necessary to fulfill the UPnP ContentDirectory specification. From what I remember OhNet basically provides the skeleton for all the components specified/mentioned in the UPnP specifications but most of the logic has to be filled in / implemented.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Thank you for reply. I have looked into the OhNet and ContentDirectory specifications and I would like to work on this project. I will post a proposal soon.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Project Idea: UPnP ContentDirectory implementation using OhNet0