• 51(current)
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
When they say 7.1 passthrough, I assume they talk about EAC3/DD+, which *should* work when properly implemented in Kodi, not DTS-MA nor TrueHD.
They never mention HD audio, afaik.
Bit of a let down about the sound, everything else on this thing looks like it suits me great at the moment. Ordered one anyway, guess I can give up HD audio, just not sure how many of my files ONLY have an HD audio track and I don't know how to find out easily, I expect I'll find out when I'm impressing chicks with it and every movie I pick has no sound.
How to upload a picture?

It says:

Enables Surround Sound and High-Resolution Audio
Enjoy a home theater experience with rich Dolby 7.1 and 5.1 surround sound pass-through.
Listen to high-resolution audio up to 24-bit/192kHz over USB or HDMI.

.......Huh
High-resolution = 192k/24bits.
Dolby 7.1 = EAC3

Still no DTS-MA / TrueHD audio advertised...
Yep
(2015-06-24, 13:55)Koying Wrote: High-resolution = 192k/24bits.
Dolby 7.1 = EAC3

Still no DTS-MA / TrueHD audio advertised...

oh... OK...
XBOX ONE No Bitstream
PS4 No Bitstream
Nvidia Shield No Bit-stream

How can they release a product in 2015 without Bitstream supported,but a cheap Chinese Android Media Player does.
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
(2015-06-24, 14:57)movie78 Wrote: XBOX ONE No Bitstream
PS4 No Bitstream

How can they release a product in 2015 without Bitstream supported,but a cheap Chinese Android Media Player does.

Not sure if it even applies in this case but often when you see this kind of thing it's because cheap chinese products 'arn't required' to be official or meet quality standards
my old WD TV is passing through everything...
It's not about where the products are from I think.
Let's be fair...
We can all submit feedback on requests for kernel/firmware media player features to Nvidia here => https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...st-thread/

(2015-06-24, 14:57)movie78 Wrote: XBOX ONE No Bitstream
PS4 No Bitstream

You need to understand that all of those was primary designed be a game console first, so the added media player functionally is more as an afterthought.

While "cheap Chinese Android Media Player", WDTV, Ruko and similar media players was all primary designed to digital video players, not game consoles.

If the PS4, XboxOne, and Nvidia Shield would have been primary designed to be video player it would have been very different.

Also remember that this Nvidia Shield TV console is very much dependent on the limitations of the Google's ASOP Android OS, kernel, APIs, and firmware.
Dolby 7.1 surround can refer to both Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD formats. Now, we know that HD audio passthrough is not supported at this time. Since 7.1 LPCM is supported on SATV, Kodi does decode Dolby TrueHD (the stream in Atmos also) to 7.1 PCM. Dolby Digital Plus passthrough seems to be limited to the Netflix app. Even the native Android video player doesn't support Dolby Digital Plus passthrough. I posted about this issue on nVIDIA forums, but it hasn't caught anyone's attention : Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 Passthrough

With all that being said, one might argue why fuss about this? Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 content doesn't exist outside Dolby Demonstration Discs Wink Even Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 is limited to online streaming sources (Netflix, HBO Go, SlingTV On Demand and possibly StarZ Play). My personal opinion is, if something is advertised and also printed on the box, the device should meet those specifications. Otherwise, it is just false advertisement. For the lack of a proper media player app to test and confirm 7.1 passthrough, I am labeling it as being suspect. We will know for sure when E-AC-3 is implemented in Kodi.
My TV changes color scheme to warmer tone whenever I switch the input to the Shield, anybody know why? thanks.
I know this is not related to Kodi... I think there are more experts here.
(2015-06-24, 16:35)kenofstephen Wrote: My TV changes color scheme to warmer tone whenever I switch the input to the Shield, anybody know why? thanks.
Probably a setting or configuration on your television, maybe set for that HDMI port, but better ask on Nvidia's own forum https://forums.geforce.com/default/board/159/
(2015-06-24, 16:35)kenofstephen Wrote: My TV changes color scheme to warmer tone whenever I switch the input to the Shield, anybody know why? thanks.

my guess, its switching modes
If it happens when you always switch to SATV input, it is likely to be an incorrect black level setting for RGB mode on your TV that is being perceived as warmer tone. Does your TV have a specific picture mode associated with 24p?
  • 51(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)9