• 54(current)
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
(2015-06-30, 07:00)wesk05 Wrote: Well... it seems that the static noise that I was getting after playing a video with 7.1 LPCM is also unrelated to the volume mode. It is actually related to "Keep audio device alive" setting. If I have it on "Always" or a specific time, I get static on all DTS and Dolby tracks that I play after the LPCM track. If I leave that setting to "Off", I get no static. So, this static noise problem could be due to different reasons and could be AVR specific. If it matters, I do get this static noise problem on both Onkyo TX-NR929 and TX-NR808.

Yeah, it seems the issue is related, but does not affect everyone with different AVRs the same. I have tried every setting under the sun, but there's no true fix for mine. I can fix it temporarily, but then I'm back to static once the frame rate changes (like going from 24Hz video to UI then back to 24Hz video) or I shutdown then restart Kodi.

That's why I'm wondering, as I stated above, if there's another way to get pass-through working since the built in video player works fine with DTS/DD/PCM switching.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2015-06-30, 07:00)wesk05 Wrote:
(2015-06-30, 06:38)Tinwarble Wrote: Sorry, misunderstood what you meant. But that's not the issue, at least not on my end, especially since it's the same on every Android device I've owned, SATV, Ouya, FireTV, a MX2 box. And it's specific to just Kodi on Android.

Well... it seems that the static noise that I was getting after playing a video with 7.1 LPCM is also unrelated to the volume mode. It is actually related to "Keep audio device alive" setting. If I have it on "Always" or a specific time, I get static on all DTS and Dolby tracks that I play after the LPCM track. If I leave that setting to "Off", I get no static. So, this static noise problem could be due to different reasons and could be AVR specific. If it matters, I do get this static noise problem on both Onkyo TX-NR929 and TX-NR808.

I posted about a similar issue i had, the problem appeared to be the audio format of one of my videos, if i played it, everything seemed fine, but after i stopped it the audio didn't switch the format back and it kept the same setting for any other video causing static to come up, until i played a video on the stock youtube app (probably other apps changed it too), i don't remember if restarting Kodi helped.

But that was just with one video, it has never happened to me again.
(2015-06-30, 06:32)wesk05 Wrote:
(2015-06-30, 06:12)futrader Wrote: "optimized" and "1 minute"
Have you tried "Best Match" and "Off"?

Just tried that. Same result. Man, this is frustrating.
(2015-06-30, 04:18)futrader Wrote:
(2015-06-29, 09:30)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2015-06-29, 04:59)brendo87 Wrote: Any ideas on why my DTS or AC3 passthough is not working??
I have an emotiva UMC-200 which can handle most formats.

Netflix DD+ passthrough works correctly, however Kodi 15.2 with passthrough enabled, and AC3 + DTS compatible reciever checked.

Once a media file is opened, a Digital Static sound is heard. I have confirmed the file and HDMI port works perfectly on another player.

Basically it sounds like your having the same issue I stated here:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2037260

Kodi on Android doesn't like certain AVRs (that probably goes for pre-amps too). Mine does the same thing, but can be worked around by switching the decode mode on the AVR, but that's only a fix until I restart Kodi or the frame rate switches.

The only other work around is to turn off pass-through and let Kodi do the decoding and output multi-channel PCM.

Do we know which receivers don't play well with Android Kodi? I'm running Shield TV through an Onkyo TXNR-616 (2012 model). DD+ and DTS pass through work just fine with Kodi, but after playing a DTS or DTS-MA movie, PCM audio output is broken on both Kodi and Shield TV after stopping the movie. DD+ movies and shows play just fine after playing DTS. I've tired every decode setting on the Onkyo with the same result. The only way to fix the problem is to reboot either the Onkyo or the Shield TV. DTS doesn't have these issues on the Onkyo playing movies on my Roku3 (Emby) or my RasPi (Openelec). Any ideas?

Ok, this is definitely a bug with Kodi. I played a DTS file on SATV using a native player and didn't have issues with PCM audio breaking afterwards. If I upload logs, can someone take a look and see if they can spot anything?
So it looks like this device did not pass Kodi Hardware forum approval.
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
(2015-06-30, 22:10)movie78 Wrote: So it looks like this device did not pass Kodi Hardware forum approval.

I would not say that.

Its plenty good for me and a lot of other people. Maybe not so much for audiphiles but how many people on this forum really have surround sound? What percentage do you think?

I would certainly recommend it to be honest.
(2015-06-30, 22:10)movie78 Wrote: So it looks like this device did not pass Kodi Hardware forum approval.

It's one month old. We already were given a free codec in that time as well as promised they will add HD audio in an update. They also said they would be looking into the slightly off spec (for movies and tv) refresh rates. I don't mind paying for the audio codecs missing and VC1 (which already decodes fine in software). Those would make it effectively a chromebox+.

It already decodes TrueHD in software and I would imagine once Kodi 16 nightly come around we may have libdcadec merged for DTS HD* codecs. I have been happy enough with Nvidia's responses and seeming willingness to improve the product. The only question I have that no one answers is what kind of deinterlacing we have for 1080i H264 streams. Kodi only gives Bob as an option.
Quote:Kodi only gives Bob as an option.

That's what I've been using for ages and it's ok with me.

Does this box deinterlace with bob 59.94 hdhomerun and h.264 ac3?
(2015-06-30, 23:07)sebj Wrote:
Quote:Kodi only gives Bob as an option.

That's what I've been using for ages and it's ok with me.

Does this box deinterlace with bob 59.94 hdhomerun and h.264 ac3?

koying said with the MPEG2 update we also got the "good deinterlacing". I'm assuming that means some form of motion adaptive deinterlacing. I have no idea if that is being used with h264. I don't believe it is purely a bob, which is crap since it half's your resolution. It is hard for me to a->b compare between the shield and my chromebox since it takes the receiver/projector a bit of time to switch, but it looks comparable... I think.

There's no such thing. Ask 100 people and get a 100 answers.

There is going to be people who may never be happy with Kodi on Android, just like there are people that think that the only good Kodi device is a HTPC. It's about personal preference and what's acceptable.

As far as the Shield goes, if you can live with it's few short comings and you're willing to wait for certain feature to be added, either on Lollipop or when Android "M" is released, then it is a more than acceptable Kodi device.

Personally, I also have a Chromebox which I haven't used since getting the SATV.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2015-06-30, 23:32)Tinwarble Wrote:

There's no such thing. Ask 100 people and get a 100 answers.

There is going to be people who may never be happy with Kodi on Android, just like there are people that think that the only good Kodi device is a HTPC. It's about personal preference and what's acceptable.

As far as the Shield goes, if you can live with it's few short comings and you're willing to wait for certain feature to be added, either on Lollipop or when Android "M" is released, then it is a more than acceptable Kodi device.

Personally, I also have a Chromebox which I haven't used since getting the SATV.

For a Kodi user.

Are there any Difference between the Nvidia Sheild and the Google Nexus Player?
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
(2015-06-30, 07:24)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2015-06-30, 07:00)wesk05 Wrote: Well... it seems that the static noise that I was getting after playing a video with 7.1 LPCM is also unrelated to the volume mode. It is actually related to "Keep audio device alive" setting. If I have it on "Always" or a specific time, I get static on all DTS and Dolby tracks that I play after the LPCM track. If I leave that setting to "Off", I get no static. So, this static noise problem could be due to different reasons and could be AVR specific. If it matters, I do get this static noise problem on both Onkyo TX-NR929 and TX-NR808.

Yeah, it seems the issue is related, but does not affect everyone with different AVRs the same. I have tried every setting under the sun, but there's no true fix for mine. I can fix it temporarily, but then I'm back to static once the frame rate changes (like going from 24Hz video to UI then back to 24Hz video) or I shutdown then restart Kodi.

That's why I'm wondering, as I stated above, if there's another way to get pass-through working since the built in video player works fine with DTS/DD/PCM switching.

At least you can fix your issue temporarily, I too can play DD/DTS passthrough to receiver correctly using the stock 'Video Player', so it definitely seems like a Kodi AC3 passthrough dislike to my receiver. I guess it is a good thing that a lot of people have the same issue as it means that a fix could be possible.

I guess Plex will be a good test once they push out a build that supports passthrough.

Apart from the audio issue, I am loving the super fast Shield. It is exactly how a new smart TV should feel
(2015-07-01, 02:16)movie78 Wrote: For a Kodi user.

Yes.
+1. I went back to Shield, this time the 500GB box. Love the MPEG2 h/w support, and overall fast, fluid performance. Just need 23.976 and HD audio and this can replace Chromebox.

Also got a Nexus Player, and I'm pretty underwhelmed, even after installing the Android M developer preview. Basically to me, Shield Android TV > Fire TV box > Minix X8-H/Plus (or similar S812 box) > Nexus Player > Fire TV Stick as far as Kodi performance is concerned. Not counting HD audio and full 3D.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2015-07-01, 02:16)movie78 Wrote: For a Kodi user.

Just comparing Kodi between the two, not really. The short comings with Kodi on Android TV are Kodi specific and not to one specific device.

If you're asking which one you should buy simply for using Kodi, buy the Nexus Player. It's cheaper, has a better remote and will give you virtually the same Kodi experience as the SAD. If gaming and PC-style gaming is something you want as well, get the SAD. But for just Kodi, Netflix, Hulu, etc. the Nexus Player is fine. Yes, it's wifi only, but I'm streaming 1080p encodes up multiple floors in my home (wifi N 5ghz) with no buffering. YMMV. Ethernet via USB OTG is also an option.

If you have a serious home theater with a big screen/projector and surround sound, I'd recommend an HTPC running Kodi under Windows or (my preference) OpenELEC instead due to HD audio support and more video post processing options. But if you're just looking for something to hook up to a TV to use Kodi, the Nexus Player is perfect. I have three Nexus Players for that purpose and sent back the Shield Android TV I purchased because it wasn't better (or equal to, really) than my OpenELEC install of Kodi.
  • 54(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)9