NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
(2015-03-05, 17:29)essential Wrote:
(2015-03-05, 17:11)Tinwarble Wrote: Well, you're looking at it as a price competition, which it's not.

It's directly competing in the same "market" as AppleTV, Roku 3, FireTV, etc.. Being in the same market competition does not mean you have to be in the same price range. People who buy or want a Android box aren't looking for just a media player, or just a streamer or just a gaming device, they are looking for a "all in one" device.

You don't have to be in the same price range to be in direct competition with other devices. And you can have a higher markup if your device is better than all your competition. That's how the market place works.

Now, would it be nice if they offered different packages......Yes. But since they are marketing it (for now) as a "Gaming" device, then it's not likely; at this time anyway. But it probably doesn't matter because if it can do what they claim, anyone looking for an "all in one" Android box (and can afford it) will buy it.

I think they think they are trying to compete against the Roku/AppleTV/FireTV/Nexus and price will be a huge factor. That graph would show it's power vs the average gaming pc/xbox one/ps4 if that's where they wanted to be grouped. You don't present the new Range Rover which cost $80,000 and compare it to a Ford Focus and Honda Civic which cost $30,000 and appeal to a different market segment. The whole first segment of the GDC presentation talked about the Shield as a "smart tv device" which is one of their main focuses. I understand it's a premium price for a premium product, but I think the price difference is too large of a difference to be considered among that streaming market segment.

I'm just saying, at $199 with a controller ... I have no idea what broad market is going to buy it. Our niche market will, and others interested in the gaming aspect, but many of us already have next gen gaming systems or high power pc's for gaming already. I think, to get in homes, focusing on the streaming market is a good idea, I just don't think at the price anyone outside of a niche market is really going to buy it, especially since the average user won't even realize the power difference when using basic apps that are available on most of the devices.

Outside of our niche market, what broad group is looking for a "all-in-one" Android device?

Again, I think your missing the point, no, to use your analogy, you can't compare a Range Rover to a Ford Focus or a Honda Civic. But then they are designed to do different things.

Yes, they all are vehicles, but if you want something that you can go off road and still take the kids to school then you get the Range Rover, if all you need is something to get you back and forth to work and around town then you go for the Ford Focus or a Honda Civic. You wouldn't take a Focus to traverse the jungles of Africa or to drive through the Sahara.

And I think you're reading too much into that graph that they had. For one, it was showing the power of the Shield with the Grid against other devices and it was in reference to gaming. I mean, they also had an image up that compared it to a Xbox 360.

As for the "broad market", it's the same market that would by a FireTV or such device and wants a better experience (like having 4K Netflix streams) and to gamers and casual gamers. There is more than just a niche market for it.

(2015-03-05, 17:51)poofyhairguy Wrote: Nothing yet, but Chinese Android TV boxes are certainly coming just like we saw with normal Android and then eventually Android Wear. I am always looking at trends and the future, and less what is available today. Today if you call yourself a videophile you have a Chromebox or better in the livingroom, anything Android or Android TV isn't good enough.

That is kinda my point: the OS is holding back the potential of the Nvidia box. Who cares about HDMI 2.0 if you can't even get proper 24p playback?

And how do we know what can or can't be done yet or whether the OS is hold anything back? Just a few pages back someone said, Android TV doesn't support 24-bit/192kHz, but then the Shield does.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)

Messages In This Thread
RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - by Tinwarble - 2015-03-05, 19:49
RE: 64bit XBMC - by nickr - 2015-12-30, 12:08
RE: 64bit XBMC - by Dark_Slayer - 2015-12-30, 21:03
RE: 64bit XBMC - by nickr - 2015-12-30, 23:56
Wierd artifact appearing - by foghat - 2016-12-09, 03:28
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)9