• 23(current)
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
Unboxing and review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFZfCBXw6K4

This review says the 500GB drive is a 2.5" hybrid drive. They open up the Shield and even comment there is a lack of SATA ports so there is no adding your own 2.5 drive, which sucks. I'd rather buy a 16GB model and add a 128GB SSD or something.
(2015-05-28, 22:29)hdmkv Wrote: Great review Ganesh! Read the portion on local media playback with special interest. When you mention VC-1, did you get a chance to try both 1080p/23.976 (like 'Constantine' BD) and 1080i/29.970 (like the Eagles' Farewell I concert BD) via Kodi?

Besides HD audio, I'm wondering if there's a possibility if this box can ever support full 3D/MVC playback?

What about VidOn /Kodi with Bluray 3D Support.
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
I just Ordered the 16 GB Version, Just curious Does it include the audio remote or do I have to order it separately? Also I know it is probably to early... but directed to the users that had early access to this device should I attempt any type of root?
I believe it comes with one gaming control. The expensive remote cost extra. Would be nice if Harmony came out with a remote with a microphone in it.
The Remote is an extra $50 poluxproject while the box itself comes with a controller instead.
(2015-05-28, 22:45)Topken Wrote: The Remote is an extra $50 poluxproject while the box itself comes with a controller instead.

I wonder how many people want the gaming controller. I bet most of them will want the Pro model, where as those who want this box for Kodi/Netflix would have prefered the remote.
$50 for that remote is nuts. I'd think the Amazon Fire TV remote would work, even the voice commands.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
Keep in mind that the controller has voice search too.

Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2015-05-28, 23:02)Tinwarble Wrote: Keep in mind that the controller has voice search too.

http://shield.nvidia.com/sites/default/f...ry_4_0.jpg

That controller is going in a closet for me. Game controllers make for uncomfortable media controllers.
(2015-05-28, 23:04)drhill Wrote: That controller is going in a closet for me. Game controllers make for uncomfortable media controllers.

Just pointing out that if you want to go with a cheaper remote or Harmony, then you can always use controller for voice commands.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Surprised that even the Pro version doesn't include the remote.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
Is there a reviewer who has tried streaming games from a local PC yet?
I want to use this for GameStream and Kodi (when it can automatically switch between 24, 50 and 60 Hz) and Netflix.
(2015-05-28, 22:29)hdmkv Wrote: ...
When you mention VC-1, did you get a chance to try both 1080p/23.976 (like 'Constantine' BD) and 1080i/29.970 (like the Eagles' Farewell I concert BD) via Kodi?

Besides HD audio, I'm wondering if there's a possibility if this box can ever support full 3D/MVC playback?

Yes, I tried out all combinations - they all 'work', but the problem is that refresh rate is locked to 60 Hz even in Kodi (Maybe the dev has a special build with the working frame rate switching).

I can say that the CPU is powerful enough to do software decoding for 1080p / 1080i content. I am not sure if Kodi's internal software decoded uses the NEON engine - if it is not, enabling it could make the process even more efficient.

As for 3D/MVC - that boat has unfortunately sailed out long back - Vendors really don't want to spend software resources on the driver / firmware side to support what is essentially a 'dead' format. In the case of the SHIELD, it is a bit like Hi10p support - the hardware is there, but software support is not.

(2015-05-28, 22:31)drhill Wrote: ...One of the developers for Silicondust mentioned the hardware mpeg2 deinterlacing not working but he didn't respond to additional questions about what kind of deinterlacing and if it was only for the HDHomerun View app (ugly interface just like the Kodi app) or if it would help the Google Live Channels app (nice interface).

I'm not too concerned about HD audio as long as it can be properly software decoded to PCM audio and it doesn't affect software decoding of VC-1 and MPEG2. ...

It is dependent on who is paying the MPEG-2 decode license fee. From my discussion with NVIDIA, it looks like SiliconDust is paying, so the deinterlacing would only be supported in the HDHomerun View app. (this is my guess, the SiliconDust dev should feel free to correct me if I am wrong).

HD audio decoding to PCM - As far as I know, for DTS-HD MA, only core DTS track can be decoded via open source software. I believe TrueHD can be fully decoded to PCM with open source software. I am not sure what Kodi does on Android. Would love to hear from the devs on this one.
So has anyone run Kodi on this yet? How is it? Is it easy to side load onto the shield? The review on youtube didn't address any of this despite showing the Kodi app on the screen.
(2015-05-29, 00:37)Ganesh_AT Wrote:
(2015-05-28, 22:29)hdmkv Wrote: ...
When you mention VC-1, did you get a chance to try both 1080p/23.976 (like 'Constantine' BD) and 1080i/29.970 (like the Eagles' Farewell I concert BD) via Kodi?

Yes, I tried out all combinations - they all 'work', but the problem is that refresh rate is locked to 60 Hz even in Kodi (Maybe the dev has a special build with the working frame rate switching).

I can say that the CPU is powerful enough to do software decoding for 1080p / 1080i content. I am not sure if Kodi's internal software decoded uses the NEON engine - if it is not, enabling it could make the process even more efficient.

As for 3D/MVC - that boat has unfortunately sailed out long back - Vendors really don't want to spend software resources on the driver / firmware side to support what is essentially a 'dead' format. In the case of the SHIELD, it is a bit like Hi10p support - the hardware is there, but software support is not.

(2015-05-28, 22:31)drhill Wrote: ...One of the developers for Silicondust mentioned the hardware mpeg2 deinterlacing not working but he didn't respond to additional questions about what kind of deinterlacing and if it was only for the HDHomerun View app (ugly interface just like the Kodi app) or if it would help the Google Live Channels app (nice interface).

I'm not too concerned about HD audio as long as it can be properly software decoded to PCM audio and it doesn't affect software decoding of VC-1 and MPEG2. ...

It is dependent on who is paying the MPEG-2 decode license fee. From my discussion with NVIDIA, it looks like SiliconDust is paying, so the deinterlacing would only be supported in the HDHomerun View app. (this is my guess, the SiliconDust dev should feel free to correct me if I am wrong).

HD audio decoding to PCM - As far as I know, for DTS-HD MA, only core DTS track can be decoded via open source software. I believe TrueHD can be fully decoded to PCM with open source software. I am not sure what Kodi does on Android. Would love to hear from the devs on this one.

Actually there was an open source DTS-HD/MA decoder added to Kodi for RPi2 recently. I can't seem to find the thread anymore. Also, the Live Channels app actually uses the HDHomerun View app to source the channels from the HDHomerun device. I'm not sure if that means it will also leverage any deinterlacing or not though.

I disagree about 3d MVC being dead. Still lots of movies being released in 3d.... but vendors have always been cheap. I am hopeful the follow through with the codec pack and do so soon.
  • 23(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)9