NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
(2015-06-07, 14:44)noggin Wrote:
(2015-06-07, 14:29)SABERZAID Wrote:
(2015-06-07, 11:00)noggin Wrote: If you select hardware and play content with a codec that your box can't decode in hardware, it will revert to software decoding. So you should be fine leaving your Intel NUC with hardware decoding enabled. Normally the default settings are good. There are exceptions to this rule, Intel boxes can't hardware decode 1080i VC-1 but can decode 1080p VC-1 - so you need to deselect VC-1 VAAPI if you have interlaced VC-1 content - usually TV series or concert Blu-rays.

If you have an i3 Chromebox and 4K isn't an issue for you, I doubt the Shield offers much to you. The Chromebox will do HD Audio bitstreaming and proper 23.976/24.000/50/59.94/60.00 frame rate switching, whereas the Shield doesn't bitstream HD Audio nor does it appear to do full refresh rate switching?

If your H265 content is within the CPU decode parameters of the i3 in the Chromebox you will be fine. (The Celeron Chromebox has more limitations in this regard than the i3 Model)

thanks bro

you said here :

If your H265 content is within the CPU decode parameters of the i3 in the Chromebox you will be fine. (The Celeron Chromebox has more limitations in this regard than the i3 Model)

so shall i order the celeron ver instead of intel i3 ? for feature plan etc, and who's better in terms of performance etc ?

It all depends how important H265 content is to you. The Celeron Chromebox is great for non-HEVC content, and will play some with software decode, but the i3 model will do better with software decoding (i.e. cope with higher bitrate)

However I have not used a Chromebox i3 and can't comment on its relative value for money in comparison to other i3 boxes like a NUC etc.

I thought you already had an i3 Chromebox so must have been confused by one of your posts. I wasn't recommending buying the i3 Chromebox, just commenting that it might do relatively OK with software decode HEVC.

Personally I'd still not buy an Android box as my main HTPC because of the limitations that platform and the implementations on it seem to have.

yes i have chromebox with i3 and the new nuc device , and i want to buy another box for my other room , thats why i ask , the other room will watch movies, 3d via addons etc, so in this case what box is the best option , i3 or celeron ?

Messages In This Thread
RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - by SABERZAID - 2015-06-07, 14:49
RE: 64bit XBMC - by nickr - 2015-12-30, 12:08
RE: 64bit XBMC - by Dark_Slayer - 2015-12-30, 21:03
RE: 64bit XBMC - by nickr - 2015-12-30, 23:56
Wierd artifact appearing - by foghat - 2016-12-09, 03:28
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)9