NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
(2015-07-01, 20:50)iMilazzo Wrote: I am new with nVidia Shield Android TV (2 days in fact) but I am already frustrated.
I can't watch movies in 24p, I can't listen more than 48kHz audio files (FLAC, MKV, etc....).

Android had killed my dream (throw away my WDTV Live).
What is the point in create such huge device with such huge specifications if none of this can't me used?

My WDTV Live, old, 2.4Ghz with SMB weak protocol can't stream more than 20Mbits/s over wireless but....I can do everything else, I can set my video to 24p to any content or set to Auto to let WDTV decides. I can listen my Akira Hypersonic Edition (24bits 192kHz) and impress my friends and guests. My WDTV Live is old, slow, it has this little crashes when I need to turn off the power, but....I can do the all "Home Theater Best Practise".

What is the point in create a nVidia Shield Android TV with this MIMO 5Ghz, with a huge processor if I can't use his huge specs?

It's like Hodor (from Game of Thrones), he is big, he is strong, but have no brain, almost useless to real battles, only useful to carry "little things"...

I am disappointed.

and now I have this question: Who is the upgrade for WDTV Live ?

Thanks
Ivan

Well, I can tell you from someone who came from WDTV Lives and who has had every version except for the Plus and the newest one (which is just a SMP without Netfilx) that WDTV's have been far from perfect. I even have the short lived Play, which pretty much everyone hated.

When they were launched they didn't do all the things they do now, even the latest Gen 3 models didn't pass-through HD audio and it took 1-2 yrs. before they even got that feature. As well, there is still a mp4 bug that, as the last I heard, wasn't fixed.

So yes, the WDTV's can do a lot of things that the Shield currently can't, but it took a long time for them to get to where they are. So have a little patience, Android "M" which should get a final release around Aug or Sept. (and which Nvidia said they will be updating too) will bring better video and audio support. Also, some issues are just specific to Kodi on Android and have nothing to do with the Shields capabilities.

It takes time to get these things implemented on new devices, those of us who were early adopters of WDTV's had to wait a long time, as well as deal with a lot of bugs, before they worked as they do now.

As for the NP, it's probably a perfectly decent device, but it's really just Google's test bed device. It will most likely never go beyond any standard Android TV features and as far as I know neither Google nor Asus is working with Team Kodi as is Nvidia, which has taken interest in making the SATV a good Kodi device.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)

Messages In This Thread
RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - by Tinwarble - 2015-07-01, 22:01
RE: 64bit XBMC - by nickr - 2015-12-30, 12:08
RE: 64bit XBMC - by Dark_Slayer - 2015-12-30, 21:03
RE: 64bit XBMC - by nickr - 2015-12-30, 23:56
Wierd artifact appearing - by foghat - 2016-12-09, 03:28
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)9