NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
The only question marks I've heard about Shield picture quality have been with regard to deinterlacing of natively interlaced content. AIUI it does a crude Bob - not a software YADIF 2x or any hardware acceleration. This will be visible as reduced vertical resolution.

If you're in the UK with a source of DVB-T2/S2 live TV the BBC News Channel in HD is a good quick-and-dirty deinterlacing test. If the ticker is combing you aren't deinterlacing properly. If the ticker is not as fluid as you'd normally see it (but there is no combing) then chances are you are doing a half-deinterlace (i.e. converting to 25p not 50p). If you see the motion is a bit jerky and irregular, chances are you are watching 50Hz at 60Hz. If the static BBC News logo permanently on the screen looks a bit blocky, chances are you are being Bob deinterlaced rather than anything better. (None of this is particularly relevant to the online streams of the BBC News Channel by the way)

I've not really seen much discussion of the other picture quality issue - 16-235->0-255 scaling which can introduce banding.

Messages In This Thread
RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - by noggin - 2015-11-25, 17:53
RE: 64bit XBMC - by nickr - 2015-12-30, 12:08
RE: 64bit XBMC - by Dark_Slayer - 2015-12-30, 21:03
RE: 64bit XBMC - by nickr - 2015-12-30, 23:56
Wierd artifact appearing - by foghat - 2016-12-09, 03:28
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)9