• 155(current)
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
Are your 3D videos straight rips of actual discs? If so = full 3D. If they're 3D MKV's off the Internet = likely HSBS or HTAB.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2016-02-01, 23:10)hdmkv Wrote: Are your 3D videos straight rips of actual discs? If so = full 3D. If they're 3D MKV's off the Internet = likely HSBS or HTAB.

They're mkvs off of the internet or from video add-ons on Kodi itself.
Then, any media player is fine... if files are named properly, then they should trigger your 3D display to show in 3D mode.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
I am moving from Raspberry PI running Openelec to SATV and currently Jarvis RC2. I would appreciate any reference or advise for the following:

1) Is there a way to configure CEC behavior on SATV similarly to Raspberry PI, e.g. change TV input when shutting down Kodi. On raspi there is System -> Settings -> System -> Input Devices -> Peripherals which enables detailed configuration. On SATV the Peripherals are greyed out for me.

2) I am using shield controller with out of the box mapping. Is there an easy way for mapping similarly to an old xbox/xbmc style, when Analog Triggers were used for fast scrolling, Left Trigger for scan forward and back, etc.

3) Advanced Wake On Lan Notifications - only the initial launch notification is displayed, the ping/success are not. I believe I noticed somewhere it's not working on Android, any confirmation would help.

Thanks a lot
Hi

I have a question to the resoluton.

When I install from Play Store the Isengard Kodi Shows to me a resoltion of 3840x2160@60Hz

So when I update to Jarvis I will only get 1920x1080@60Hz

You can also see that in the whole desktop of kodi....

Did not find a setting to change that....

Mike
I'm pretty sure that's actually a new feature of Jarvis. It renders the UI in FullHD but the movies will be in 4K. Because rendering the UI at 4K would take too much CPU time for some skins.

I did play around with my Shield for a couple of days but I really don't understand why it's being recommended so often. Yes it can play back HEVC 10-bit but still not all UHD Demo Movies I could find. Most of them have the .ts extension - Kodi refuses to play these.

And even with the latest Jarvis RC2 Pass-through build, pass-through is not performing good enough for production use. There is always some distorted sound when fast forwarding or pausing / stopping the movie. And half of my movies won't even play with sound at all. If I use the official Isengard 15.2 release, which should at least feature DTS pass-through, I have only crackling sounds when enabling it.

So hooray, I can watch all content but in stereo only. So in the future I can decide between a good picture (Shield) or good sound (any Linux / Intel box). Sad
(2016-02-03, 00:02)falc410 Wrote: And even with the latest Jarvis RC2 Pass-through build, pass-through is not performing good enough for production use. There is always some distorted sound when fast forwarding or pausing / stopping the movie. And half of my movies won't even play with sound at all. If I use the official Isengard 15.2 release, which should at least feature DTS pass-through, I have only crackling sounds when enabling it.

Because Kodi has never had any "official" support for pass-through on Android and that it worked at all has been accidental. For some people it works, for others it doesn't or doesn't work properly, but it's purely equipment specific.

If you want pass-through then you need to use the Experimental build from here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252852 or wait for it to be fixed in v17, but you can see how that is going here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=257190
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I'm a total newb who is just looking for a high quality box which can stream but also play my downloaded movies ect. Any suggestions would help!
1) Can Kodi not play AVC-1 encoded files? Quite a few of my blu rays (from my collection) are ripped in this format. When I try to play them, they just display a light purple screen. This was not the case with XBMC on my home PC.

Is it a Kodi issue or a Shield issue?

Is there any workaround?

2) I've tried and tried but I cannot get my projector to recognize any 3D files, played either from video add-ons, from my HD, or from Youtube. The files I'm trying to play from my HD are downloads (typically around 1.5 GB) of mostly side-by-side content and they're named using the proper file naming (name.3D.SBS.mkv). It seems the projector doesn't recognize them as being in 3D. I can play blu rays directly from my blu ray player and the projector recognizes them immediately and goes into 3D mode. The projector is the JVC RS400. Anyone know what's going on?
(2016-02-03, 05:04)slateef Wrote: 1) Can Kodi not play AVC-1 encoded files? Quite a few of my blu rays (from my collection) are ripped in this format. When I try to play them, they just display a light purple screen. This was not the case with XBMC on my home PC.
about wich KODI we are talking about? Latest nightlys or old outdated google store stuff?
Quote:2) I've tried and tried but I cannot get my projector to recognize any 3D files, played either from video add-ons, from my HD, or from Youtube. The files I'm trying to play from my HD are downloads (typically around 1.5 GB) of mostly side-by-side content and they're named using the proper file naming (name.3D.SBS.mkv). It seems the projector doesn't recognize them as being in 3D. I can play blu rays directly from my blu ray player and the projector recognizes them immediately and goes into 3D mode. The projector is the JVC RS400. Anyone know what's going on?
You should in meantime not proper mark the 3D files as 3D since the shield have some issues about that. If KODI thinks the files are plain 2D files, you can decode the both halfs of the picture by setting the TV or projector by hand.
(2016-02-03, 00:02)falc410 Wrote: I'm pretty sure that's actually a new feature of Jarvis. It renders the UI in FullHD but the movies will be in 4K. Because rendering the UI at 4K would take too much CPU time for some skins.

I did play around with my Shield for a couple of days but I really don't understand why it's being recommended so often. Yes it can play back HEVC 10-bit but still not all UHD Demo Movies I could find. Most of them have the .ts extension - Kodi refuses to play these.

And even with the latest Jarvis RC2 Pass-through build, pass-through is not performing good enough for production use. There is always some distorted sound when fast forwarding or pausing / stopping the movie. And half of my movies won't even play with sound at all. If I use the official Isengard 15.2 release, which should at least feature DTS pass-through, I have only crackling sounds when enabling it.

So hooray, I can watch all content but in stereo only. So in the future I can decide between a good picture (Shield) or good sound (any Linux / Intel box). Sad

The crackling on DTS is because the Shield volume has been lowered. The Shield volume needs to be maxed for it to pass thru.
Thanks for the hint. I'll give it a try tonight but I serioulsy doubt that the Shield is a viable Kodi solution until Nvidia releases Version 3 (Android 6) and Kodi v17.
I was hoping to at least use it as a console, but then I found out there is only crap available on the Play Store. Guess the only reason for its existence is then a SNES Emulator since all Smart TVs nowadays come with Android TV as well. I'd rather use Steam Link or how it is called, then Geforce Now.

I have high hopes for the future though, just not sure if it will happen in this hardware generation or if we will have to wait an updated Shield. Right now I think an Intel Braswell Box is better for Kodi.
(2016-02-03, 11:21)falc410 Wrote: Thanks for the hint. I'll give it a try tonight but I serioulsy doubt that the Shield is a viable Kodi solution until Nvidia releases Version 3 (Android 6) and Kodi v17.
I was hoping to at least use it as a console, but then I found out there is only crap available on the Play Store. Guess the only reason for its existence is then a SNES Emulator since all Smart TVs nowadays come with Android TV as well. I'd rather use Steam Link or how it is called, then Geforce Now.

I have high hopes for the future though, just not sure if it will happen in this hardware generation or if we will have to wait an updated Shield. Right now I think an Intel Braswell Box is better for Kodi.

Thats a bit harsh on Nvidia and all the people working feverishly for Android development for Kodi. The shield is widely regarded as the best Android player and it is being dedicatedly supported from various corners. I dont think it will take very long for v 17 to come out. And besides Kodi, the impressive hardware supports 4K Netflix which may not be a feature on your list but still should be enough from questioning its existence.

By the way, how is it that ALL SMART TVs come with Android TV? I am curious to know. Can you please let me know which Samsung model has built in Android TV?
(2016-02-03, 18:10)ozkhan1 Wrote: I dont think it will take very long for v 17 to come out.

the Audio passthrough code from fritsch is in the source tree and therefore in the next nightly. the release version of KODI v17 needs some time, even v16 isn't ready yet. (RC2)
(2016-02-03, 09:35)querty1000 Wrote:
(2016-02-03, 05:04)slateef Wrote: 1) Can Kodi not play AVC-1 encoded files? Quite a few of my blu rays (from my collection) are ripped in this format. When I try to play them, they just display a light purple screen. This was not the case with XBMC on my home PC.
about wich KODI we are talking about? Latest nightlys or old outdated google store stuff?
Quote:2) I've tried and tried but I cannot get my projector to recognize any 3D files, played either from video add-ons, from my HD, or from Youtube. The files I'm trying to play from my HD are downloads (typically around 1.5 GB) of mostly side-by-side content and they're named using the proper file naming (name.3D.SBS.mkv). It seems the projector doesn't recognize them as being in 3D. I can play blu rays directly from my blu ray player and the projector recognizes them immediately and goes into 3D mode. The projector is the JVC RS400. Anyone know what's going on?
You should in meantime not proper mark the 3D files as 3D since the shield have some issues about that. If KODI thinks the files are plain 2D files, you can decode the both halfs of the picture by setting the TV or projector by hand.

I'm using the original kodi that I downloaded to the box from the android store. I'm assuming that's what you mean that it's outdated. Excuse my ignorance, but how can I install a better/updated version? A guide would be much appreciated. Also, can any of the updated versions play this type of file?

Thanks!
  • 155(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)9