NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
(2016-05-19, 19:34)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2016-05-19, 14:06)drhill Wrote: I'd be fine with that if they would just come out and say it publicly. It is probable the most requested video feature on their boards and has been for a bunch of updates request threads. I wish they would also clean up their TrueHD implementation so that it could work in ExoPlayer instead of getting massive underruns.

Now if only Google would update AndroidTV to have as nice of a voice and notification integration as AppleTV as well as better HDMI CEC support. Ugh, I hate when I have to compliment Apple.

Edit: Looks like the new Android TV Mi Box will support MVC (but not mpeg2/vc1) http://www.mi.com/en/mibox/#specs

Like most large company's Nvidia is not going to come out and say what they aren't going to support. Not that it's right, that's just the way it works.

As for TrueHD, that's on Google. Nvidia hacked in TrueHD support since Android doesn't support it, but that should change with "N" which supposedly will also support IEC. Nvidia may backport that, though I have no direct info that they will, to Marshmallow, then it will be up to Google to properly support in in Exoplayer. Though Exoplayer only really matters in Plex, and we don't care about that app here. Wink

And voice and notification integration is on the app developers. Google provides the tools to integrate, but it still takes the app devs to implement it in their apps, Netflix, for example, has been slow to do that. But there is more coming in that area down the line.

ExoPlayer matters to me. I wrote my own Plex client that uses ExoPlayer for which I've had submitted code be accepted to get VC1 and PCM to work (PCM 8/24 bit is converted to 16 bit as PCM Float encoding only does two channels because Google). I also added PGS subs but didn't submit that as it was in my app not ExoPlayer though I'd be fine cleaning it up if they wanted me to add it. I decode audio using ffmpeg when passthrough and system decoding isn't available. Right now I'm just doing a second pass of cleaning up some of my ugly code. I'm much happier with it then I ever was with Kodi/Plex as both had issues or quirks. Even my wife is ok with it, which was surprising. I'll probably even add PIP support whenever N comes out.

The only thing I have missing is VC1 in the Nexus Player (could do ffmpeg, but their decoder is single threaded and the NP isn't up to snuff for that) and TrueHD passthrough. I've taken a few stabs at different times but the best I got was choppy sounds with buffer underruns. Looking at Koying's changes it seems like pauses need to be added and I don't know if that would fly in ExoPlayer. Everything else works without a hitch when playing any track.

Actually voice and notification integration isn't on app developers. If you watch Apple's demo of their system it is quite nice ( Confusedhudder for complimenting apple: ) and nothing like what Google provided for TV.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 64bit XBMC - by nickr - 2015-12-30, 12:08
RE: 64bit XBMC - by Dark_Slayer - 2015-12-30, 21:03
RE: 64bit XBMC - by nickr - 2015-12-30, 23:56
RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - by drhill - 2016-05-19, 19:49
Wierd artifact appearing - by foghat - 2016-12-09, 03:28
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)9