• 212(current)
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
(2016-12-02, 09:40)xoding Wrote: Is there a way to manually update SPMC? because mine still not updating. I've try to sideload it, but the shield won't allow me to install it. My SPMC sometime just hang/freeze when i play 1080p x265 10bit video, i was hoping the update can fix this.

How did you try to sideload it? What version are you on now?
(2016-12-03, 23:31)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2016-12-03, 23:06)Dan50 Wrote: Is this a good time to buy a nvidia shiel box? I mean, shouldn't be a new version coming?

It's as good of a time as any. Nobody knows if a new Shield coming or not, there is speculation that there might be due to a FCC filing, but that does not necessarily mean that there will be a new model.

At the earliest it would be announced at CES 2017 (in Jan), but even so there is no telling when a new model would be released. They could announce it in Jan. but not release it until June or July.
The lack of new inventory leads me to guess that it'll launch sooner rather than later.

Dispatched from Mojo's Artisan Toast & Beard-Fluffing Emporium, Temescal Alley
(2016-12-05, 07:05)Hiphopopotamus Wrote:
(2016-12-02, 09:40)xoding Wrote: Is there a way to manually update SPMC? because mine still not updating. I've try to sideload it, but the shield won't allow me to install it. My SPMC sometime just hang/freeze when i play 1080p x265 10bit video, i was hoping the update can fix this.

How did you try to sideload it? What version are you on now?

Pretty much the same like whenever you want to sideload any apps, download the apk files and try to install it on the shield. My spmc still on 16.4.2 version. Since the latest software update from Nvidia, my spmc is having a lot of trouble. Sometime its freezing, stuttering, lagging, and audio drop. The worse that happen before is spmc force my shield tv to reboot, its never happen with any app before only happen with spmc. Its been real pain to use, right now Plex work so much better. hell, even Kodi Krypton is working so much better than Spmc. I hope @Koying fix this, thats why i really want to update my spmc.
Does KODI on NVIDIA shiled decodes 4K HDR or will be ?

If I play:
Mad Max Fury Road (2015) 2160p UltraHD BluRay HEVC x265 (30mbps Bitrate) 2CH AAC

Will it be decoded as 4K / HDR content ?
No, as that video file isn't HDR. Some HDR BT2020 caps are surfacing now, but I hear they're dark (crushed blacks) and exhibit some dithering/banding.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
HDR really at the moment, especially for those using cheap Kodi media players is a Con, because:
  • You cannot self Rip HDR10 UltraHD Blurays. Ones that have all the correctly encoded HDR10 metadata due to uncracked copy protection.
  • HDR10 content is useless - unless you have a certified Ultra HD Premium display to actually take advantage of HDR to watch video content properly.
  • Limited, properly encoded HDR10 content to begin with.
The HDR buzzword currently is nothing more than marketing spin and Bullshit with cheap Kodi media players. The Wank factor is very high. Especially with these supposed internet HDR re-encodes.

At least with an officially licenced Android TV OS platform like the nVIDIA Shield you can watch properly encoded 4K HDR10 Netflix & Amazon streaming content.

Can I stream Netflix in Dolby Vision or HDR ?

And then to complicate matters your media player & AVR has to support HDMI2.0a as well & HDCP2.2 for protected content UltraHD streaming.

What is HDR: The SHIELD Team Has You Covered

Ultra-HD Blu-ray/HDR10 capture is not all that difficult if you have some knowledge about HDR10 and the right hardware. It is time consuming and you do need to invest ~$1500 if you want close to original capture. That is all I will say Smile
And, all I will say is it doesn't seem worth the trouble, whatever your source is Wink. Have a feeling UHD BD won't get cracked, and streaming HDR is our future... like it or not (I'm in the latter camp, and may cave in at some point).
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
(2016-12-05, 19:11)xoding Wrote: Since the latest software update from Nvidia, my spmc is having a lot of trouble. Sometime its freezing, stuttering, lagging, and audio drop.

If I had those issues, I would do a full system reset and set it all up again. You can make backups of your SPMC settings, but with your issues, I would do a 100% clean setup again.
The one advantage to UltraHD streaming is HEVC encoding and smaller file sizes and less bandwidth required.

You can sign up to a Netflix UltraHD plan and if you have to correct equiptment, even UltraHD-4K Netflix is possible on a relatively slower internet connection.
I'm even seeing superior quality 1080p streaming with some titles on Netflix due to the higher compression HEVC encoding.
Looks like the Netflix engineers have done their HEVC encoding homework.

(2016-12-06, 02:16)hdmkv Wrote: And, all I will say is it doesn't seem worth the trouble, whatever your source is Wink.
I will not disagree Smile

(2016-12-06, 02:24)wrxtasy Wrote: The one advantage to UltraHD streaming is HEVC encoding and smaller file sizes and less bandwidth required.

You can sign up to a Netflix UltraHD plan and if you have to correct equiptment, even UltraHD-4K Netflix is possible on a relatively slower internet connection.
I'm even seeing superior quality 1080p streaming with some titles on Netflix due to the higher compression HEVC encoding.
Looks like the Netflix engineers have done their HEVC encoding homework.
Yes, Netflix claims that HEVC streams use 50% less bandwidth esp. at higher resolutions. Netflix has done lot of research on encoding. They do what they call as "per-title encode optimization". Their techblog is very informative.

I am not sure whether all 1080p content now streams in HEVC. If you see bitrates of 5.16 and 6.96Mbps for 1080p, then it is a HEVC stream.
(2016-12-06, 02:43)wesk05 Wrote: Yes, Netflix claims that HEVC streams use 50% less bandwidth esp. at higher resolutions. Netflix has done lot of research on encoding. They do what they call as "per-title encode optimisation". Their techblog is very informative.
I agree. The blog certainly make for some very interesting reading even if a bunch of the geek speak goes straight over my head.

With HEVC encoded UltraHD Netflix I believe there is an intermittent resolution used as well between 1080p and 2160p - that being 2560×1440p aka 2.5K

Netflix Adaptive streaming and 2.5K HDR

So If i want to watch movies in HDR right now it will be inly possible with UHD BD and play it on XBOX ONE S?

Are there any riped UHD movies i could test on my UHD TV what player would be able to play it on Nvidia Shield Android TV?

PS. I have KS8000 which has HDR and display covering it's gammit , so i think i should be fine.
(2016-12-06, 07:07)macmus Wrote: So If i want to watch movies in HDR right now it will be inly possible with UHD BD and play it on XBOX ONE S?
Yes and also Netflix UHD HDR

Quote:Are there any ripped UHD movies i could test on my UHD TV what player would be able to play it on Nvidia Shield Android TV?
(2016-12-06, 02:03)wrxtasy Wrote: You cannot self Rip HDR10 UltraHD Blurays. Ones that have all the correctly encoded HDR10 metadata due to uncracked copy protection.
Lots of HDR UHD samples here:

http://demo-uhd3d.com/categorie.php?tag=hdr

(2016-12-06, 08:02)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2016-12-06, 07:07)macmus Wrote: So If i want to watch movies in HDR right now it will be inly possible with UHD BD and play it on XBOX ONE S?
Yes and also Netflix UHD HDR
Huh There are 3 stand alone Ultra-HD Blu-ray players: Samsung UBD-K8500, Panasonic DMP-UB900 and Philips BDP7501. There are two upcoming ones: Sony UBP-X1000ES and Oppo UDP-203.
  • 212(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)9