NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
(2016-12-06, 14:13)hansolo Wrote: Somehow I disagree. There are no simple remuxes like for standard bluray which preserves original quality. Any decode/recode using splitter will alter quality and preserving HDR metadata is no trivial task.
Best encoding profiles on HEVC is for many an experimental task, and a single person can't simulate a work like Netflix does in this specific task. Preserving something close to original content (not capture!) costs more that ~$1500.

If you read my post carefully, you will notice that I am talking about HDR10 (and not just HDR). Preserving HDR10 metadata (the current implementation) is actually a trivial task. You may have to read a bit more on HDR10. You can't compare what Netflix is doing and an individual will be doing. For Netflix, they have to find the best encoding parameters because for their service, delivery bandwidth matters. For personal storage, it is not that crucial. You can go with a lower compression ratio/bits-per-pixel and preserve quality. I never mentioned that decode-reencode will get you the original quality of the source. It is always going to be slightly different, but from a visual perception point of view, you should be able to get close to the original.

(2016-12-06, 15:57)da-anda Wrote: for $1500 I can buy a lot of UHD blurays - at least the movies worth buying
I was talking about how you can play those $1500 Ultra-HD Blu-rays in Kodi (after all this is a Kodi forum, right) Smile

Messages In This Thread
RE: 64bit XBMC - by nickr - 2015-12-30, 12:08
RE: 64bit XBMC - by Dark_Slayer - 2015-12-30, 21:03
RE: 64bit XBMC - by nickr - 2015-12-30, 23:56
RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - by wesk05 - 2016-12-06, 21:10
Wierd artifact appearing - by foghat - 2016-12-09, 03:28
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)9