Can add-ons contain malware?
If I install a repository like superrepo and then install some add-ons from there, am I putting my device at risk of containing malware/virus etc?

I am worried about becoming part of a botnet or having my passwords sniffed etc.
they certainly can yes. They can contain anything from weird code sniffing your computer to infected .zip files.

The XBMC/Kodi repo contains add-ons that are inspected to not have these kind of things.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2015-03-04, 12:13)Martijn Wrote: they certainly can yes. They can contain anything from weird code sniffing your computer to infected .zip files.

The XBMC/Kodi repo contains add-ons that are inspected to not have these kind of things.
I didn't realise that Undecided
I've just instated that 3rd party addon for google play music and Picassa bit worried now I just presumed they would be encrypted
use an antivirus may help you.
(2015-03-04, 12:36)peppe_sr Wrote: use an antivirus may help you.
On Kodi??
Didn't know there was one
Python addons can do anything with your system - so don't trust any random addon and in doubt download, unzip and review the addon.

@Steve_uk - Addons discussed and developed in our forums are usually save to use. I'm using the GMusic addon myself and checked it's code. Besides the fact that the password is not stored encrypted (a feature Kodi unfortunately lacks) all seems to be fine.
And there is no antivirus in Kodi - your OS has to provide one if you want one
(2015-03-04, 13:21)da-anda Wrote: Python addons can do anything with your system - so don't trust any random addon and in doubt download, unzip and review the addon.

@Steve_uk - Addons discussed and developed in our forums are usually save to use. I'm using the GMusic addon myself and checked it's code. Besides the fact that the password is not stored encrypted (a feature Kodi unfortunately lacks) all seems to be fine.
And there is no antivirus in Kodi - your OS has to provide one if you want one
Thanks for the reply glad the Gmusic one is OK.
I got the Picassa one from the official repo so I guess I'm good to go now Smile
Cheers
In general we advise common sense. Be aware of what you install.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Let me add that when you delete any dubious repo or add-on, you may need to search all your drives and files for any remnants of it. Once, I had an add-on that kept updating itself from the XBMC backup fileTongue

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can add-ons contain malware?0