Acceleration (VAAPI) not initialising?
you can shortly move your .kodi out of the way and test from a clean profile.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thanks - I ran it with the same .kodi (minus the TVxx.db) and I get the same results on the local file.

Scenario 1) playing TrueHD file from local disk. Audio stutter (consistent with entries that say 'CDVDPlayerAudio:: Dropping packet of 20 ms'). Significant multi second audio dropout at time 19:41:50. Log file at http://paste.ubuntu.com/10579046/

Actually - it seems worse on the nightly, much more major stutters consistent with "CAESinkALSA - snd_pcm_writei(-32) Broken pipe - trying to recover" messages.

Using a default (minimum configuration) .kodi file seems to fix the issue on v15, but I guess that since there's no addons installed that would be expected?
Verify with a clean kodi and a v14 release. From what you describe it's an addon / settings foobar causing this.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Clean kodi 14.1 doesn't exhibit the problem.

I've had a look, but can't work out how to determine which addon might be causing the problem.
Then it only helps to install / uninstall one by one, sadly.
Clean install with no addons and only the advancedsettings.xml file exhibits the problem. <edit> i'm double checking this </edit> <second edit> ignore this </secondedit>
I've deleted about half of the addons I have and it's not changed anything. It'll take me a while to work through the rest one by one. I'll post when I have more info.
Can you check:

Deinterlacing: Auto
Deinterlacing-Method: Auto
Scaling: Bilinear

Save for all movies?
I had the scaling as auto and deinterlacing as BOB, but changing to these settings doesn't remedy the problem.
Hi, my apologies - it must've been a late night when I was testing the vanilla (no addons) version. I forgot to set 'adjust display refresh rate to match video' and 'A/V sync method' to audio clock. Retesting today with these set on the vanilla install I get the same results as on my configured version. I've tried variations on the 'A/V sync method' setting, all exhibit the same behaviour or worse in playback.

I guess that eliminates the addons (although there are a few installed by default that I can't remove).
A/V sync method to audio clock and Sync Playback to Display absolutely makes no sense.

How do you think that would work: Syncing to the display_but_ using the audio clock?

If you want to use Passthrough Audio, just disable "Sync Playback to Display" completely, only keep Adjust Refreshrate to match video.
Sorry - i'd just assumed (bad choice - I know :-) that you'd need to have the playback synced to the display (i've always had that set - since Frodo) even if the refresh rate was set to match the source. Nothing i'd read elsewhere suggested that disabling this would be an option (especially in 24p content - all the forum threads talk about various settings in that area but never about disabling it completely).

I upgraded to the latest 01.org (intel-linux-graphics-installer 1.0.8) stack yesterday and that cleared the short stuttering but left the 'Dropping packet of 20 ms' messages in the log.

Removing the 'sync playback to display' has cleared those messages and also seems to have cleared the 'CAESinkALSA - snd_pcm_writei(-32) Broken pipe' messages and major dropout.

I'll give this a few more tests today but I think it's solved.

Would it make sense for me to raise a feature request to disable the 'Sync Playback to Display' when 'Adjust Refreshrate to match video' and passthrough audio are set so that others don't get mixed up this way?
We have already removed the "Audio Clock" - in master only "Sync Playback to Display is left" - which automatically syncs to Video Clock. With passthrough in use - one should just disable it. If Video Clock exactly matches to refreshrate it does not harm, though.
If passthrough is in use wouldn't making the player automatically disable it make sense?
Nope. It's more complex and user wants to have the last word :-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Acceleration (VAAPI) not initialising?1