ACCEPTED: NVIDIA GameStream
Hey guys, sorry to be so quiet, but its nearing the end of the GSoC coding period. I've finally brought this project to a usable state, with a few things that I'll knead the kinks out over the week. Until I get analog joysticks working and work out a better settings page, I probably can't package it properly yet. The video, audio, and input all work, but it can get laggy depending on your connection to the server. You also have to manually specify the address of the machine running GameStream, as well as having to choose the first game.

While it does run, there are a few things that could be improved on, mostly in terms of the user interface. One thing that I have in plan for the future, but probably won't be implemented in time by the end of the week, is having the app listing integrate with the menu. Also having the application being able to scan for the server would be nice functionality. I also haven't gotten a chance to test the addon out with Windows or osx, but most of the addon is cross-platform, aside from having to search for the libraries.

If any of you guys are inclined to try it out, and you're running Linux, the build instructions are on the project github page. It's a bit rough getting things set up, but it works. It depends on a specific version of retroplayer that hasn't been merged in yet that does some of the video decoding. I plan on making a small demo video, so if you can't try it out, you can still see it in action.
(2015-08-15, 22:26)BAMvsGAME Wrote: will definitely be keeping track of this, would be a great addition! hope all goes well with development.

We will know soon. Smile
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=222384
(2015-08-18, 14:53)Gjeep Wrote:
(2015-08-15, 22:26)BAMvsGAME Wrote: will definitely be keeping track of this, would be a great addition! hope all goes well with development.

We will know soon. Smile
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=222384

The post literally above yours actually answered the question. Meanwhile, I wouldn't put a ton of faith in that timeline. While the coding involved at this point sounds like it should work great for Google, it may yet be a while before it actually gets merged into Kodi or set in a usable state among all platforms.
Will it be possible to install it via kodi addon manager?
some day yes, but it will require the latest and greatest Kodi version then (which includes the require changes in the core -> retro player)
(2015-08-18, 07:56)acmiyaguchi Wrote: You also have to manually specify the address of the machine running GameStream...

I actually think this is not to bad. If you happen to get it automated it still would be nice to have a way of setting it manually.

Why? Pretty easy...
When having the streaming-server and client connected directly via eth while both still are connected to the wifi-network (for actual internet), I'd of course
want the games to be streamed via the direct gigabit eth-connection rather than wifi (for obvious reasons).

However e.g. steam ALWAYS prefers to use the wireless connection (which for now I only can avoid by blocking certain requests in the windows firewall which is the game-server. <- Ugly hack)
I expect similar behavior with nvidias game-streaming when connections are established automatically.

But when setting the address manually this shouldn't be a problem (I think/hope) and would therefore be a very nice addition rather than a "annoying" task to do.
Really interesting. Compiling right now. I hope to get rid of steam in home streaming
Code is here

https://github.com/acmiyaguchi/game.moonlight
Did this ever get to the pairing screen or past the pairing screen?
Anthony got pairing to work. I'm working on integrating his work into RetroPlayer, but my main linux box is down so I'm waiting for a new mobo to ship.

Meanwhile, on OSX, I got all depends to build, but the main add-on fails to compile because OpenSSL >= 1.0 is required (my OSX install has OpenSSL 0.9.8zg)
uhm, we have a newish openssl in depends..
Will this be developed further (I ask because I see the last commit on GitHub dated August 21st)? I'm currently on a server-client situation, both Windows 8.1 machines. The server doubles up as a gaming machine but it's not in the living room. Having a GTX 980 in there I'd love for this to work.

A couple of questions:

1) Does this solution require the server to be unlocked and with the monitor turned on? I've found this to be true for Steam streaming, which pretty much killed it for me.

2) I read that Nvidia will be bringing 5.1 audio streaming to GameStream. Are there plans to integrate their new version with this?

Thanks and keep up the good work. Smile
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2015-10-08, 13:16)garbear Wrote: Anthony got pairing to work. I'm working on integrating his work into RetroPlayer, but my main linux box is down so I'm waiting for a new mobo to ship.

Cool. I read the snippet from the live blog where you talked about this at devcon. It would be interesting to scrape every game and catalog them, but I know that puts forward several challenges. I was ecstatic at the thought of a simple game icon labeled gamestream or moonlight where you just launch your entire game stream library and choose from the catalog. It's all rdp-esque at that point, so cataloging individual titles may never be possible

(2015-10-21, 13:22)ashlar Wrote: A couple of questions:

1) Does this solution require the server to be unlocked and with the monitor turned on? I've found this to be true for Steam streaming, which pretty much killed it for me

Not sure about audio and not entirely sure with regards to this particular add on (core). However, moonlight itself on Android doesn't require a monitor to be powered on. Several games that you can "manually add" will require a keyboard and mouse remain plugged into the server though. Most of the newer steam games with controller support don't need this, but older ones will error out thinking you have no way of controlling the game even though the mouse and keyboard aren't even used
Me and Dodslaser are working on Moonlight for OSMC so far we got most of the ideas working using repo and a kodi addon

https://github.com/dodslaser/script.moonlight-embedded
https://github.com/dodslaser/moonlight-embedded

not sure if its useable for other distros the initial test was made for rpi 2 we are gonna make it work for rpi1 and 2 and vero using OSMC
thanks for the links. moonlight-embedded uses libgamestream, which is basically a C version of amiyaguchi's gamestream project. I was actually having difficulty porting the crypto stuff to OSX, so this is perfect. libgamestream has all the code I need to get this working.

Not sure how close OSMC follows kodi's release cycle, but I'm aiming to merge gamestream support for version 17. Seeing as how the 17 merge window is opening in a few months, we could be shipping gamestream support within the next half year. Hopefully this will mean one less script for you guys to maintain, as built-in support should offer a better experience than switching to an external application.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ACCEPTED: NVIDIA GameStream2