Series recordings and comskip on raspbian or Openelec
Hi guys

Killer features for me for PVR viewing is series recordings through the XBMC interface, and commercial detection.

Is there a way to get both of these under raspbian or openelec with an RPI2?

I have tvh running on an openelec install, but it doesn't seem to do very smart series recording. ie; I would like to ignore duplicates, or reruns for example, and that doesn't seem to be possible. [And IIRC none of that is even available through the XBMC interface but I could be mistaken]

I'm also experimenting with mythtv on raspbian, and that does do better series recording, but their commflagging doesn't seem to work too great and crashes on many runs. I'm in the process of trying to get comskip compiled in that environment to replace commflag with comskip.

thanks for any thoughts
IIRC, there's a modified add-on for Kodi that implements some form of series recording (it's in this forum somewhere, though I don't know if it was ever proposed as a formal pull request to the official addon).

There have also been a number of recent (last couple of days) changes to the tvheadend duplicate handling (https://github.com/tvheadend/tvheadend/pull/604) that will work their way through to the tvh backend available through OE. This is out of sync with what's available in the Kodi front end, I suspect, so perhaps there's some work there to get that to catch up - but otherwise, I think it's lurching towards what you're after...

Commercial detection at the moment really need a post-processing script, something like Comskip run against the output file once it's finished recording. I've never had much success with this on any platform, output or backend ... it only really works well if your broadcaster uses very distinct markers, e.g. a DOG/logo that disappears and re-appears at precisely the right time. Some folks have more success than others, though, so don't take my experience as gospel.
(2015-03-13, 23:27)Prof Yaffle Wrote: IIRC, there's a modified add-on for Kodi that implements some form of series recording (it's in this forum somewhere, though I don't know if it was ever proposed as a formal pull request to the official addon).

There have also been a number of recent (last couple of days) changes to the tvheadend duplicate handling (https://github.com/tvheadend/tvheadend/pull/604) that will work their way through to the tvh backend available through OE. This is out of sync with what's available in the Kodi front end, I suspect, so perhaps there's some work there to get that to catch up - but otherwise, I think it's lurching towards what you're after...

Commercial detection at the moment really need a post-processing script, something like Comskip run against the output file once it's finished recording. I've never had much success with this on any platform, output or backend ... it only really works well if your broadcaster uses very distinct markers, e.g. a DOG/logo that disappears and re-appears at precisely the right time. Some folks have more success than others, though, so don't take my experience as gospel.

Thanks for weighing in PY. Incidently I do have *excellent* results with comskip under Windows, but I need this rpi2 solution to be self contained. I'm excited to hear tvh may be shuffling towards my goal. Leaving aside the problem of compiling/running/launching comskip, if I had comskip files available with the recordings, does tvh currently know how to do anything with them? And if so, does that functionality translate to the xbmc addon?

thx
(2015-03-13, 23:37)bluenote Wrote:
(2015-03-13, 23:27)Prof Yaffle Wrote: IIRC, there's a modified add-on for Kodi that implements some form of series recording (it's in this forum somewhere, though I don't know if it was ever proposed as a formal pull request to the official addon).

Thanks for weighing in PY. Incidently I do have *excellent* results with comskip under Windows, but I need this rpi2 solution to be self contained. I'm excited to hear tvh may be shuffling towards my goal. Leaving aside the problem of compiling/running/launching comskip, if I had comskip files available with the recordings, does tvh currently know how to do anything with them? And if so, does that functionality translate to the xbmc addon?

thx
Sorry for stealing the thread but. Do you think you could gice some help on how you got comskip setup on windows?
(2015-03-13, 23:59)freddy12 Wrote:
(2015-03-13, 23:37)bluenote Wrote:

thx
Sorry for stealing the thread but. Do you think you could gice some help on how you got comskip setup on windows?

I give some basic information here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=204186 go ahead and ask your questions there
(2015-03-13, 23:37)bluenote Wrote: Leaving aside the problem of compiling/running/launching comskip, if I had comskip files available with the recordings, does tvh currently know how to do anything with them? And if so, does that functionality translate to the xbmc addon?

I don't know that tvh knows anything about the cut files (EDLs, whatever) because it doesn't really do any playback - that's the job of the client. Kodi will certainly use them if you're playing through file mode - for historical reasons, for example, I don't use the Live TV playback, I've instead got a source mapped to my recordings share and then access this through favourites, and that would almost certainly work with cut files.

Does the addon use them... interesting question. "I doubt it" would be my first response, but it depends on how it hands the stream over to Kodi... my suspicion is that Kodi can't see the source location, so knows nothing of any other files stored alongside the source media: it simply gets and plays a HTSP (or whatever) stream.

Re: comskip, there did seem to be some move to porting the newest comskip code over to the Linux version, but it's not an insignificant task. If that happens, you might get good results on that as well as the Windows version. Setting up a post-recording script in tvh to kick that off would then be very straightforward.[/i]
(2015-03-14, 11:34)Prof Yaffle Wrote: I don't know that tvh knows anything about the cut files (EDLs, whatever) because it doesn't really do any playback - that's the job of the client.
It doesn't do any playback, but it does serve the recordings.
In my opinion it would be best if tvheadend itselt managed this. Then whatever front-end you're using to watch the recordings, be it Kodi, VLC, browser or some mobile app, the client does not need to know anything about that. TVH could just serve the stream with commercials removed and that's it. As far as the client is concerned, the commercials were never there. And how would the client get access to these files anyway?
I don't disagree - the only way that this could work is for the serving part of the client-server conversation to look for and process the cut files, as the client clearly has no knowledge of anything on 'the other side', any more than your browser can see into the depths of YouTube's vaults.

However, I'm simply stating that this isn't how it works AFAIK. I'd have to check, but I don't recall tvh having this capability.

As I implied above, it's easy to replicate in Files mode, though - just set a path to your recordings, add it to your favourites, and it's a click or two on the home screen. Kodi will now see that share, see the .EDL file, process it and all is good. Ideal? Probably not. Workable? Probably.

By all means, pop over to the tvheadend web site and raise a feature request, as this would create a client-independent way of squashing adverts. Cue the debate about whether that's a client function or a server one, though (what if you *want* the adverts, and the server will no longer give you that option? Because, y'know, they're worth it?).
I myself won't be pushing it one way or the other, as I don't really have the need (few clicks with the remote don't bother me much). That doesn't mean I don't see the benefit and I believe if there's any movement in getting it done, the effort should be towards tvheadend, to fix it for all frontends in one go instead of implementing same functionality 10 times over.
PS. Your last paragraph is exactly what I tried to hint at Wink
A form of series recording is implemented in the modified version of the TVH addon in this thread: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=217127

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Series recordings and comskip on raspbian or Openelec0