Win Is it possible to get Atmos or DTS:X without a receiver using a PC?
I only watch media on my PC, I don't need any bells or whistles.
I have the most basic surround setup:
5.1 3.5mm surround setup < PC > 4k HDR TV
It works great with Kodi and an Xbox controller, but I've been dreaming of trying Atmos or DTS:X, but the way I see it the only option is to shell out at least 600 euros on an AVR and then to replace all my speakers by getting another 7 + sub that would works with the receiver so another 800 euros or such.
Then who knows if I the receiver would even get the atmos or dts:x to passthrough from my PC, maybe I'd need to get an android box and a NAS.
It just seem like too much of an investment for what theoretically should just work with me plugging in another 2 speakers to my PC.
Maybe there's something I am missing?
Atmos and DTS-X can't be decoded to discrete channels the way it works for all other surround formats, as far as I know.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
You definitely need a AVR but you may not need to replace the speakers. Whether you can get Atmos/DTS-X out of your PC will depend if your GPU provides a HDMI output with HBR audio support.
€600 is a bit steep - you can get Dolby Atmos/DTS:x AVRs in the UK for £399 https://www.richersounds.com/onkyo-txsr393-black.html  Onkyo had some issues - not sure where they stand in terms of support at the moment.

However - as others have said - Dolby Atmos/DTS:x decoding and processing is really AVR territory - as it isn't based on a 1:1 mapping between audio channels and speakers in the way previous audio compression standards were.  There isn't - AFAIK - a licensed route to decode and output for surround + height speakers via a PC route.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is it possible to get Atmos or DTS:X without a receiver using a PC?0