• 139(current)
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio
(2016-01-09, 20:05)noggin Wrote: Think the only possible issue you may have with any 3D solution is possibly 3D subtitles (Avatar?) - as this still appears to be a WIP on all Kodi platforms? (Subtitles are rendered in 2D - so can cause depth issues on some content?)

Is this a problem on Pi? There is a setting "stereoscopic depth of 3D subtitles" which as far as I know works.
(2016-01-09, 20:08)Shasarak Wrote:
(2016-01-09, 20:05)noggin Wrote: Think the only possible issue you may have with any 3D solution is possibly 3D subtitles (Avatar?) - as this still appears to be a WIP on all Kodi platforms? (Subtitles are rendered in 2D - so can cause depth issues on some content?)
Hmm. Subtitles are quite a big deal for me. I'm partially deaf, so I usually have them switched on all the time.

I may be wrong about this.
Wink 
(2016-01-09, 19:24)noggin Wrote:
(2016-01-09, 19:06)dylantje Wrote: mmmm

What is the best hardware to run Kodi?? [ i want to buy one/... ]
I want a very fast system AND stable system.......

What is the best OS?
Linux or Android?
Or are there no different?

You need to give us a better idea what you want to use Kodi for, and whether you need other stuff like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video etc.
Different platforms have different strengths and weaknesses.

What material will you be playing?
What sources ?
Do you need Live TV ?
Do you need to run a TV backend ?

Do you need HD Audio?
Do you need 3D?

I want it all...Cool
Only something in the future,....Undecided
Only when i buy niw a god hardware box.. [ i am future proof.. for a wile ]Rofl
Perhaps you can give me
Plantimun
Gold
Zilver
Bronze
Options?
(2016-01-09, 20:36)dylantje Wrote:
(2016-01-09, 19:24)noggin Wrote:
(2016-01-09, 19:06)dylantje Wrote: mmmm

What is the best hardware to run Kodi?? [ i want to buy one/... ]
I want a very fast system AND stable system.......

What is the best OS?
Linux or Android?
Or are there no different?

You need to give us a better idea what you want to use Kodi for, and whether you need other stuff like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video etc.
Different platforms have different strengths and weaknesses.

What material will you be playing?
What sources ?
Do you need Live TV ?
Do you need to run a TV backend ?

Do you need HD Audio?
Do you need 3D?

I want it all...Cool
Only something in the future,....Undecided
Only when i buy niw a god hardware box.. [ i am future proof.. for a wile ]Rofl
Perhaps you can give me
Plantimun
Gold
Zilver
Bronze
Options?

Sorry mate - you'll need to put in some of the work... Much easier to get advice for a single application rather than provide advice for every application... This is a self-help forum to a large degree.

I'd start by reading the first post in this thread - and then asking questions if you have any that have been thrown up by that.

There are great boxes if all you want is H264 1080p and stereo sound, but there are different great boxes if you want 3D MVC and HD Audio, or want 1080i MPEG2 Live TV etc.
Subs in all media players being discussed here isn't an issue unless you're watching a 3D movie in 2D mode... opeters has said some subs (in HiMedia Q5, Zidoo X6, etc.) get blocked behind objects in various 3D planes. Haven't tested myself.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Any box that does full 3d, hd audio, and 4k ready?

Disregard I see himedia box in OP Should do the job
Just for sharing and nothing to do with KODI ....
I need just a few things and no 4K since I can't afford a 4K projector atm.

-1 3D Playback with 3D PGS subtitles
-2 HD Audio (ATMOS)
-3 Correct Frame-rate
-4 Capable of SMB Network playback
-5 Remote controllable via network (home automation)
-6 IOS app to select and start a Movie
-7 KODI Interface preferred

Yesterday a FW came out for the VTEN that added subtitle depth in both 3D ISO and MVC 3D. I asked and they made it happen.
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showth...?tid=72890
I bought the unit and tested it today and it just works great for me. Until a fully working KODI Mediaplayer is available I am using this VTEN in my Home Cinema.
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER
INTEL DN2820FYKH NUC 2D/3D WINDOWS
ACER HD9500BD / MARANTZ SR7009 ATMOS 7.1.4

(2016-01-09, 22:14)hdmkv Wrote: Subs in all media players being discussed here isn't an issue unless you're watching a 3D movie in 2D mode... opeters has said some subs (in HiMedia Q5, Zidoo X6, etc.) get blocked behind objects in various 3D planes. Haven't tested myself.
I thought the point opeters was making was that when watching 3D MVC content IN 3D, the subtitles were being rendered as 2D subtitles i.e. the additional depth information that accompanies the PGS subs to place them at the correct depth within each scene was being ignored and they were all being rendered at a fixed depth (which could place them behind the scene element they are overlaying and break the 3D effect)
(2016-01-10, 00:55)noggin Wrote:
(2016-01-09, 22:14)hdmkv Wrote: Subs in all media players being discussed here isn't an issue unless you're watching a 3D movie in 2D mode... opeters has said some subs (in HiMedia Q5, Zidoo X6, etc.) get blocked behind objects in various 3D planes. Haven't tested myself.
I thought the point opeters was making was that when watching 3D MVC content IN 3D, the subtitles were being rendered as 2D subtitles i.e. the additional depth information that accompanies the PGS subs to place them at the correct depth within each scene was being ignored and they were all being rendered at a fixed depth (which could place them behind the scene element they are overlaying and break the 3D effect)

In fact they were not displayed in 3D but in 2D on Plane level 0 which means the subs were behind the scene most of the time.

Quoted from the VTEN forum:

As I replied to another user, the bd subtitles are actually png streams, following the same left eye/right eye rules as the video streams. The mvc stream contains the depth information stored as 3d-planes. The depth varies from negative to positive, where 0 is flat, negative behind the screen and positive in front of the screen. There are several 3d-planes, depending on the number of languages muxed into the bd video.
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER
INTEL DN2820FYKH NUC 2D/3D WINDOWS
ACER HD9500BD / MARANTZ SR7009 ATMOS 7.1.4

All I can say is when I've watched any of my 3D ISO's with forced subs on a 3D display ('Avatar', 'Captain America 2', 'The Martian' off the top of my head), or those w/subs throughout ('The Taking of Tiger Mountain' for example), I could read the subs just fine, whether HiMedia Q5 or RPi2.
My HT
(2016-01-10, 01:24)hdmkv Wrote: All I can say is when I've watched any of my 3D ISO's with forced subs on a 3D display ('Avatar', 'Captain America 2', 'The Martian' off the top of my head), or those w/subs throughout ('The Taking of Tiger Mountain' for example), I could read the subs just fine, whether HiMedia Q5 or RPi2.

Yep - I don't think legibility is at issue - it's whether they aesthetically match in stereographic terms (i.e. whether they are at the right depth, scene-by-scene, to not look out of place). I don't watch enough 3D content to judge, and being a native English speaker, and only owning 3D content in English, subtitles aren't a major issue for me. (Avatar is not a film I particularly want to watch repeatedly...)
I hear you... it could be an issue for some I guess (so far, I've only read opeters make points about it, but good for him).

(2016-01-07, 14:45)wrxtasy Wrote: Man this 3D stuff is doing my head in, I might just drink beer this evening and stop keyboard punching! Wink

@hdmkv, so build #3, does this give you an actual proper 3D picture at all if you switch your TV to whatever mode it needs or do you still get the top/bottom output with a Horizontal split thru the middle. If the line is there, that is what I see on my normal 2D TV as well.

Built #4 was a bit of a mish mash mongrel.

Yes good idea I will throw build #3 Noggins way as well as he has 3D gear, in fact here is the Link for it for those with a Core.
OpenELEC 6.0.0 Isengard Final 3D MVC v3 .tar HERE
Hi there, just got around to checking on this. Please see your WeTek Core thread here.
My HT
Quote:Sorry mate - you'll need to put in some of the work... Much easier to get advice for a single application rather than provide advice for every application... This is a self-help forum to a large degree.

Ok i will try

Thanks.

Only please the different between linux and android?
Linux = pure Kodi only experience (no Netflix)
Android = Kodi as an app, with Netflix and other apps/games possible

Not any real new info., but Futeko has added a new forum section for HiMedia's highly anticipated next-gen Q5/Q10.
My HT
Yep - and a Linux distro like OpenElec which is optimised for Kodi can mean that the video drivers, audio drivers etc. are fully integrated with Kodi (so stuff like deinterlacing, refresh rate, HD audio etc.) can be implemented more robustly and easily than on Android, where Kodi is just an app that has to run on an OS implemented by a third party and over which you have no control.
  • 139(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio17