• 259(current)
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio
does the NUC6CAYH fall under generation 6?
Edit: It seems like. I could try to get a refund as I am not happy with the unit.
Hi All,

Hope you don't mind a whats the best option question, I currently use OpenElec with an old AMD Opteron, Geforce 960 and 8GB RAM allocated (Is virtualised). However I don't have MVC 3D support or 4K 10bit HEVC decode with this configuration.

I have a spare copy of Vista Pro 32bit in the cupboard and was wondering if moving to Windows might be a better plan. I have read the newest recommendations post from Brazen1 but don't understand if the Alfedchin build works with Nvidia hardware decode or not. Also is this special build capable of 10bit HEVC decode with HDMI 1.4 output? (ie. 4K/24 8Bit No HDR)
(2018-04-04, 19:55)BoKKeR Wrote: NUC6CAYH
No 3D MVC unfortunately.
(2018-04-04, 23:57)Krobar Wrote: I have read the newest recommendations post from Brazen1 but don't understand if the Alfedchin build works with Nvidia hardware decode or not.
For nVidia, try downloading this file (libmfx32) and extracting to the installation folder (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi\).
What crawled up your butt?

I posted my question looking for information based on this thread and all the other information I've gleamed from around the internet about 3D and 4K. I figured this was the place to find the answer to the questions I couldn't find elsewhere.

You replied with a remark about joining the dark side. No further information provided.

Now you are ranting on about who knows what and Intel reps and other nonsense because I didn't find your response provided and useful information but rather a poor attempt at Star Wars humor?

Is 4K HDR and MVC 3D possible through Kodi, and Kodi alone, with Intel based CPU graphics and if not is there a video card option that does work and what specs would that card be?

If you can't offer useful information then why bother posting at all?
(2018-04-06, 21:25)K0D1User1138 Wrote: What crawled up your butt?

I posted my question looking for information based on this thread and all the other information I've gleamed from around the internet about 3D and 4K. I figured this was the place to find the answer to the questions I couldn't find elsewhere.

You replied with a remark about joining the dark side. No further information provided.

Now you are ranting on about who knows what and Intel reps and other nonsense because I didn't find your response provided and useful information but rather a poor attempt at Star Wars humor?

Is 4K HDR and MVC 3D possible through Kodi, and Kodi alone, with Intel based CPU graphics and if not is there a video card option that does work and what specs would that card be?

If you can't offer useful information then why bother posting at all?
I think a Geforce 1030 can do 4K, HDR and 3d under Windows 10 has all then eeded hardware/driver support. The issue is in finding a Kodi build which can do MVC 3D playback AND 4K natively, the 3D MVC build is only for Kodi 17 and the developer who maintained the MVC fork got upset and stopped updating it.

There are various solutions that call on PowerDVD or another player to play MVC content but this just seems clunky (IMHO)
(2018-04-06, 21:47)Krobar Wrote:
(2018-04-06, 21:25)K0D1User1138 Wrote: Is 4K HDR and MVC 3D possible through Kodi, and Kodi alone, with Intel based CPU graphics and if not is there a video card option that does work and what specs would that card be?
I think a Geforce 1030 can do 4K, HDR and 3d under Windows 10 has all then eeded hardware/driver support. The issue is in finding a Kodi build which can do MVC 3D playback AND 4K natively, the 3D MVC build is only for Kodi 17 and the developer who maintained the MVC fork got upset and stopped updating it.

There are various solutions that call on PowerDVD or another player to play MVC content but this just seems clunky (IMHO) 
 Thank you for some useful information. I hadn't realized the only dev who worked on the MVC fork had another hissy fit. I thought this was a place for grown-ups to work together towards a common goal.

Doe that fork not do 4K? I'm not interested in updating Kodi every few weeks. I want a system that works (which I sort of have at the moment) and not mess with it constantly. I understand the desire to build and build and build but for me once it's working and working well you need to really wow me to make a further change.
(2018-04-07, 02:27)K0D1User1138 Wrote:
(2018-04-06, 21:47)Krobar Wrote:
(2018-04-06, 21:25)K0D1User1138 Wrote: Is 4K HDR and MVC 3D possible through Kodi, and Kodi alone, with Intel based CPU graphics and if not is there a video card option that does work and what specs would that card be?

Thank you for some useful information. I hadn't realized the only dev who worked on the MVC fork had another hissy fit. I thought this was a place for grown-ups to work together towards a common goal.

Doe that fork not do 4K? I'm not interested in updating Kodi every few weeks. I want a system that works (which I sort of have at the moment) and not mess with it constantly. I understand the desire to build and build and build but for me once it's working and working well you need to really wow me to make a further change.  
Not sure about the fork support for 4K or HDR support in general, I don't think any current Kodi build does HDR but NVidia 10XX on Windows can with other apps. For some reason Netflix insist on 3GB video RAM for 4K support so you may need a 10XX card with 4GB+ VRAM in certain scenarios.

Hardware wise Intel broke MVC support in newer hardware so newer hardware can do 10K/60 but not MVC, older hardware can do max 10K/30 but can do MVC.

To me it seems if using Windows then Nvidia has full hardware/driver support but software isn't there yet. Also, next gen TVs will likely make 12bit RGB available and at least for Linux it looks likely they will skip the current YCbCr 10bit implementation and go 12bit RGB as its easier to work with since nearly all Kodi Linux build do overlay and mixing in RGB (Not sure about Windows).
So it sounds like 4K still isn't there and might not be for some time. Like I said before 4K projectors, (real 4K) are still few and far between and thus far no 4K demo has wowed me. Mostly looks like blown out colors to make your brain think what it's seeing is better. I'm only interested in a 4K TV after I've upgraded everything else and only because I'd then have content my 1080p TVs would not be able to display. And I don't waste my time with Netflix or other streaming paid services.

If I was to build a new HTPC now with MVC being the key you are saying the 8th gen CPUs won't work? That is interesting news and changes a lot of what I thought was possible.

Again I appreciate the helpful information.
(2018-04-07, 20:23)K0D1User1138 Wrote: If I was to build a new HTPC now with MVC being the key you are saying the 8th gen CPUs won't work?
Not with integrated graphics. If you where to use a separate dedicated GPU, the CPU wouldn't be a problem.
Looks promising Hades Canyon with HDR and 3D MVC over HDMI 2.0 Smile

NoTechi
(2018-04-10, 08:27)NoTechi Wrote: Looks promising Hades Canyon with HDR and 3D MVC over HDMI 2.0 Smile

NoTechi
 Great news, I wished he could have shown some 3D MVC video demo
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
But GPU options aren't solely Kodi dependent and still requires only specific architecture?

This is why things are so confusing. There are many questions but tricky to figure out the answers. Again I'm in no rush but when I do spend more money I want it to be the last time for the best option (hahaha).
(2018-04-10, 16:53)movie78 Wrote:
(2018-04-10, 08:27)NoTechi Wrote: Looks promising Hades Canyon with HDR and 3D MVC over HDMI 2.0 Smile

NoTechi
Great new, I wished he could have shown some 3D MVC video demo 
Great news indeed.
Hades Canyon though is using a Radeon card and really expensive (Apparently no hardware VP9 support either) so this only really confirms that 3D MVC is working for AMD, I see no change in the issues with MVC and newer intel IGPs.
Well actually that confirms 3D mvc and 4k HDR is working over HDMI 2.0 on this NUC which was not possible on former NUCs afaik.
I still did not decided to go for it but with this confirmation it gets more attractive.

NoTechi
  • 259(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio17