• 34(current)
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio
(2015-06-07, 21:27)noggin Wrote: And then we have Rec 2020 to cope with... ... ... ... <Runs away screaming>
Rec.2020 on consumer displays may happen only in 2020!! DCI-P3 will be the best bet for the next several years.
(2015-06-07, 21:40)wesk05 Wrote: This is why we have display calibration!
Though display calibration doesn't really help with low bit-depth plasmas with insufficient sub-fields that relied on dithering to attempt to deliver something that looked like 8 bits... (Plasmas never got a foot hold in broadcast picture monitoring situations for a reason, though they were used for source previews)
(2015-06-07, 23:45)noggin Wrote:
Though display calibration doesn't really help with low bit-depth plasmas with insufficient sub-fields that relied on dithering to attempt to deliver something that looked like 8 bits... (Plasmas never got a foot hold in broadcast picture monitoring situations for a reason, though they were used for source previews)
There are several colorists in broadcast and Hollywood who grade on Panasonic BT300, VT25, VT65 plasmas.
I changed the pixel encoding format to YCbCr in Pi 2 configuration and checked the output again. It didn't fare very well. The primaries and secondaries had dEs above 4. Red-4.3, Green-8.6, Blue-1.5, Cyan-10.2, Magenta-3.8,Yellow-4.5. There were errors in almost all the colors in the standard color checker. It looks like it is best to leave the encoding to RGB Limited.
(2015-06-07, 19:05)wesk05 Wrote:
(2015-06-07, 09:46)ars92 Wrote: Just want to confirm, you HAVE to use vidon xbmc and pay the yearly subscription to have hd audio passthrough on the minix x8h or can you just load up the latest kodi from the official website and it will work?
You have to use VidOn XBMC/Kodi and have the Pro subscription for HD audio passthrough on Minix boxes. There is no system level support for HD audio passthrough.
Yep thats what i thought. As i knew minix just didn't support hd audio on xbmc natively.
HT System - Denon X1500-H, 4x RP-500M for FR,FL,SR,SL, RP-404C for Center, 2x RP-500SA for Top Middle, SVS PB-2000. Harmony 665, LG OLED CX 65, Samsung PN51H5000 Plasma
(2015-06-04, 18:46)wesk05 Wrote: Amlogic S8xx has had 23.976(5) support for almost a year now. They got the AV sync and AVR compatibility problems sorted out only a few months ago.

Yes, you are right. Amlogic has already support 23.976Hz for a long time, but recently they just added the HDMI frame rate auto-switch.
(2015-06-08, 00:59)wesk05 Wrote:
(2015-06-07, 23:45)noggin Wrote:
There are several colorists in broadcast and Hollywood who grade on Panasonic BT300, VT25, VT65 plasmas.

Yes - though they are probably not using them alone, and grading is a very specific job. It's not a pure 'picture monitoring' function.
(2015-06-08, 01:08)wesk05 Wrote: I changed the pixel encoding format to YCbCr in Pi 2 configuration and checked the output again. It didn't fare very well. The primaries and secondaries had dEs above 4. Red-4.3, Green-8.6, Blue-1.5, Cyan-10.2, Magenta-3.8,Yellow-4.5. There were errors in almost all the colors in the standard color checker. It looks like it is best to leave the encoding to RGB Limited.

Yes - presumably because you are adding another matrix operation?

If you stay with RGB Limited you are going :

YCrCb 16-235->RGB 0-255->RGB 16-235 (So one matrix and one scale)

If you use YCrCb Limited you are going :

YCrCb 16-235->RGB 0-255->YCrCb 16-235 (So two matrix operations)

I'd expect scaling to be done more cleanly than a matrix operation - particularly if is it done in the 8 bit domain. (You also then only have one operation that needs to be 601 or 709 compliant?)
(2015-06-08, 07:05)noggin Wrote: Yes - though they are probably not using them alone, and grading is a very specific job. It's not a pure 'picture monitoring' function.
Certainly not! Sony BVM/PVM, FSI monitors will always be preferred. My point was it is not rare to find plasmas in studios.

(2015-06-08, 07:10)noggin Wrote: Yes - presumably because you are adding another matrix operation?
I'd expect scaling to be done more cleanly than a matrix operation - particularly if is it done in the 8 bit domain. (You also then only have one operation that needs to be 601 or 709 compliant?)
Do you know whether the conversion is taking place in the hardware (GPU) or is it Kodi internal processing? I ask this because Amlogic SoCs have the perfect output. Amlogic uses YCbCr 4:4:4 as the native output (and there is no easy option to change it).

I think we are probably going off-topic now Smile
(2015-06-09, 18:27)wesk05 Wrote:
(2015-06-08, 07:05)noggin Wrote: Yes - though they are probably not using them alone, and grading is a very specific job. It's not a pure 'picture monitoring' function.
Certainly not! Sony BVM/PVM, FSI monitors will always be preferred. My point was it is not rare to find plasmas in studios.

Or Dolby monitors. I've never seen a plasma in use in a broadcast finishing or online suite for anything other than client monitoring though - but take your word for it. See a lot of PVM and BVM OLEDs these days.

Quote:
(2015-06-08, 07:10)noggin Wrote: Yes - presumably because you are adding another matrix operation?
Do you know whether the conversion is taking place in the hardware (GPU) or is it Kodi internal processing? I ask this because Amlogic SoCs have the perfect output. Amlogic uses YCbCr 4:4:4 as the native output (and there is no easy option to change it).

I think we are probably going off-topic now Smile

No - but would be interesting to know. I noticed that my ODroid C1 (S805 Amlogic based) outputs YCrCb but my Pi 2 outputs RGB - both 16-235 levelspace.
You can add himedia M3 player to the list too
Its the same as Q5 with differences.
- 3d iso plays at correct full 3d 1920x1080, so no half resolution bug there
- gui is 720p Sad in kodi though

also trakt addon doesnt work on M3, i assume its the same with Q5
Hello. This is a very helpful chart. Thank you.

Regarding boot time for Minix X8-H, mine consistently runs 35 seconds. This is with ethernet and two Logitech USB devices attached (keyboard and webcam).

Regading Atmos support from Minix, I know there is a comment further down in the chart that support is only there with a separate VidOn subscription. But I think this note should be further up on the "Supports Atmos" line, where is just says "Yes" now. I had some mail with Minix this week, hoping that they could say that they plan to support Atmos passthrough. They did not give me hope: "this is not a feature that we intend to add". Maybe this comment was just for my "pre-Plus" X8-H. Don't know. As an otherwise happy and loyal Minix customer, I'd be willing to spring for new boxes. But I may eventually go with HiMedia.

In the meantime, although my receiver does not register, for example, the HDMI feed of Gravity as Atmos, it does still sound very good. And all 11 speakers are putting out sound. It is just not quite as convincing as when I hook up my i5 laptop instead. Then the AVR registers Atmos. And it sounds like it.
- with Minix X8-H you have full kodi experience
- with himedia q5/m3 you have half kodi experience( addon not work well, must be use external player ),but you have Full 3d, Audio HD and better picture quality.

choose your priority than choose your box.
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
So this where the bus stop for 3D Frame packed playback hardware.
There has not been any new device or any improvement from the already existing ones.
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
Sadly, 3D doesn't get much love these days, and the top 2 choices in my chart on p1 both have issues. I need to update it. HiMedia's Q5 has reports of noticeable ghosting and audio synch from several users on Futeko forum (I haven't had a chance to verify myself). The bigger issue is that HiMedia engineers say they don't notice any ghosting issues. With RPi2, still no ISO support, and even with using MVC MKV's, I'm getting dropped frames with titles ('Avatar', 'Sin City 2', etc.) I've been testing with on Kodi 15 and now 16 builds. This was via wired SMB, so planning to try NFS and overclocking my Pi2 to see if I can get reliability.

So, HiMedia M3/Q5/Q10 is probably still the best choice for 3D, despite the ghosting issue for now.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
  • 34(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio17