Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio
I've gone from ISO to MKV to ISO back to MKV Smile. The need changed depending on which media player I was using (from initial HiMedia HD900B to PCH A-400 to Mede8er X3D to HiMedia Q5 to now RPi2). Now, I'm primarily using RPi2, but when I rip new 3D discs, I do both movie-only ISO and MVC MKV rips (to avoid any potential conversion needs in future). I keep the MVC MKV's on my NAS, while the ISO's on separate external drives. Yes, I could re-rip the original discs in the future, but it's a hassle.

For right now, I'd give the edge to RPi2 (I need to update the chart in post #1). Why? No ghosting issues with 3D and no random audio drop-outs. HiMedia M3/Q5/Q10 have the edge in ability to bitstream HD audio, including ATMOS. RPi2 can do 5.1, 6.1 and 7.1 LPCM (decoding HD audio). You don't lose any quality, but you do lose the extended ATMOS and soon DTS:X mapping.

Benefits to MVC MKV's on RPi2 are no seamless branching hiccups if you do full disc rips (Disney titles are notorious for this), easy movie-only rips (via MakeMKV), and smaller footprint (filesize) vs. ISO's. Benefits to 3D ISO's, whether full disc rip or movie-only (I use tsMuxeR) are wider acceptance (almost all players that do full 3D, except RPi2). Mede8er supports both (may be the only player to).
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater

Messages In This Thread
RE: Player Choices with Kodi + 3D ISO + HD Audio - by hdmkv - 2015-08-27, 13:52
Himedia Q5 Pro - by wild nine - 2016-07-16, 01:15
Kodi coming to Xbox One - by woodpost - 2017-02-09, 01:00
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio17