Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio
(2016-04-14, 21:32)hdmkv Wrote: 3D MVC is not new in Kodi, as it has has been available natively on Raspberry Pi for a while. On Windows, yes, very new, but we already have a large selection of compatible Intel h/w. Re: Kodi for the A/V expert, not just since last year. Chromebox has been a serious option since 2014, and prior to it, there were several HTPC options w/HD audio.

Re: illegal add-ons or streaming, it isn't just Kodi. Plex has it, as do other media center apps. There are Android apps, and even iOS apps, that have nothing to do with Kodi that have it. So, it is a misconception, a frickin' massive one, that Kodi = pirated streaming. I'd be totally fine if Kodi got rid of video add-ons for good, similar to what MrMC has done to get Apple approval.

As I said less then a year first raspi milhouse build with 3d was 10 or so months ago first bluray 3d movie release 2010. So by all accounts 3d is something pretty new to any kodi release. As for the chromebox while a nice option no 3d. So from an AV expert standpoint what box would I put in a clients house that does it all. Chrombox with openelc does HD audio but no 3d. Rasppi does 3d but no HD audio. And yes there was several options with HD audio but you usually needed very specific GPU cards and I think at one point even certain AVR's did not work and then you were running external players for bluray films and such. As I said unless you visit the KODI forums every day to see what is new and what is working and what not from the outside it seems like a giant mess with no good solutions.

As I knew someone would point out the jukebox interface as it seems to be the go to when flaws are pointed out. Lets say I am showing my setup off to a couple of friends they want to check out a 3D movie so I fire up my rasppi and they see the interface and like it we check out a couple movies then they say is this with Atmos and I say no hold on I shut off the pi switch inputs fire up the chromebox they see that interface again and I start a non 3d movie this time with ATMOS. Then they ask why did you need to use a different setup. What part of the jukebox interface makes up for that. Being most of you in this thread live and breathe KODI you have no problem knowing what each boxes limitations are nor seem to have problems running multiple boxes.

I am a plex user and spend time on the forums over there while there is illegal add-ons the majority of plex users use it for the multi device and remote playback functions. Its not a hit on KODI that it had a bit of an identity crisis it has a well designed skinable interface. It had a well designed playback engine but no hardware that brought it all together in a perfect package. You have the hardcore a/v people wanting 3d/bitstream/frame sync the options with kodi were limited if you wanted it all in one. The android boxes tried to bridge the gaps but usually brought more headaches then good. So they looked at other solutions. Then you have the "netflix generation" who dont really care about quality and found the illegal add-ons that can be added to KODI they became the majority user painting the picture of how people see KODI today as they are the biggest voice out there. If the intel hardware finally allows 3D with HD audio and perfect frame rates it has finally achieved a goal I think where people would take a second look at it and you would bring back more hardcore A/V users that can then add their voice out there showing that its not just all about the add-ons.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Kodi Player Options with MVC/frame-packed 3D & HD Audio - by halfelite - 2016-04-15, 02:29
Himedia Q5 Pro - by wild nine - 2016-07-16, 01:15
Kodi coming to Xbox One - by woodpost - 2017-02-09, 01:00
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio17