• 241(current)
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio
Sad article about 3D TV on BBC. Hoping 3D at home lives on where it has the best 'wow' factor... front projection! For that matter, one could argue this would be the space to really appreciate 4K as well. Even on my 65" 4K TV, unless I'm sitting a few feet away, it's really hard to discern the difference between 1080p and it.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
(2017-01-28, 23:48)hdmkv Wrote: Sad article about 3D TV on BBC. Hoping 3D at home lives on where it has the best 'wow' factor... front projection! For that matter, one could argue this would be the space to really appreciate 4K as well. Even on my 65" 4K TV, unless I'm sitting a few feet away, it's really hard to discern the difference between 1080p and it.
If people could have only enjoyed the 3D "experience" that has come (way to late) when watching it on a Passive 4K Oled TV, then maybe it was a whole different ballgame. But sins the 3D possibility was put on every sh!t quality TV that was brought on the market, it never got the enjoyment that could have been. All 3D TV criticizers that did take up my invitation to come and take a look, made a U-turn on there opinion, no one excepted. Not all criticizers took up my invitation though, they just shut up after my guests had shared there experience Wink
Kodi 19.1 Android/Google(TV) [ Shield TV Pro [64b] / Mi Box S [32b] / Mi Projector / Fire 4k TV stick / CC with Google TV ]
Kodi 19 [3D MVC build] Shuttle DH270 [Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 graphics - W10-1903]
(2017-01-28, 19:38)the_jaguar Wrote:
(2017-01-28, 18:39)Nekromantik Wrote:
(2017-01-28, 15:31)Roger79 Wrote: What about the New 7th generation NUCs? I'm considering the NUC7i5BNH. Looks great with 4K support. The only thing I'm not sure of is if these boxes support HDR and Dolby Vision. I'm not even sure if these technologies are related to hardware or software.

it SHOULD support HDR as it has HDMI 2.0a but Dolby Vision is hardware addition.
Windows dont support HDR at the mo but Dev Preview coming up adds support.

If you look at the specs for Kaby Lake, they mention that it supports both HDR and DV, but it's left to the manufacturers to implement them. What does "implement" mean? I know that DV requires a hardware chip for it to work, but when Intel says that Kaby Lake supports it, does it mean that the chip has hardware support for it?

According to Matt McRae, CTO of Vizio (i.e. a Dolby Vision-compliant TV manufacturer), there is no specific Dolby Vision hardware chip, and "Dolby Vision is a format + processing/mapping software".
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/465-high-d...st50302361

Dolby Vision compatible demo game based on Amazon Lumberyard game engine running on a standard Windows PC without any specific Dolby Vision hardware chip > standard NVidia Titan X graphics card without any specific Dolby Vision hardware chip >> HDMI >> Dolby Vision compatible Vizio R TV

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=295362&page=2
Universal audio/video receiver (Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, etc.) is achieved.
Universal HDR TV (HDR10, Dolby Vision, HEVC HLG HDR, VP9-HLG / VP9-PQ YouTube HDR, Dynamic HDR) is required.

Push for universal HDR TV!
(2017-01-28, 18:39)Nekromantik Wrote:
(2017-01-28, 15:31)Roger79 Wrote: What about the New 7th generation NUCs? I'm considering the NUC7i5BNH. Looks great with 4K support. The only thing I'm not sure of is if these boxes support HDR and Dolby Vision. I'm not even sure if these technologies are related to hardware or software.

it SHOULD support HDR as it has HDMI 2.0a but Dolby Vision is hardware addition.
Did you find that within the specifications, that 2.0 >a< output on the Kaby Lake NUC's? Could you show me? I must have looked over that somehow.
Kodi 19.1 Android/Google(TV) [ Shield TV Pro [64b] / Mi Box S [32b] / Mi Projector / Fire 4k TV stick / CC with Google TV ]
Kodi 19 [3D MVC build] Shuttle DH270 [Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 graphics - W10-1903]
(2017-01-29, 15:58)DanBa Wrote:
(2017-01-28, 19:38)the_jaguar Wrote:
(2017-01-28, 18:39)Nekromantik Wrote: it SHOULD support HDR as it has HDMI 2.0a but Dolby Vision is hardware addition.

If you look at the specs for Kaby Lake, they mention that it supports both HDR and DV, but it's left to the manufacturers to implement them. What does "implement" mean? I know that DV requires a hardware chip for it to work, but when Intel says that Kaby Lake supports it, does it mean that the chip has hardware support for it?

According to Matt McRae, CTO of Vizio (i.e. a Dolby Vision-compliant TV manufacturer), there is no specific Dolby Vision hardware chip, and "Dolby Vision is a format + processing/mapping software".
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/465-high-d...st50302361

Dolby Vision compatible demo game based on Amazon Lumberyard game engine running on a standard Windows PC without any specific Dolby Vision hardware chip > standard NVidia Titan X graphics card without any specific Dolby Vision hardware chip >> HDMI >> Dolby Vision compatible Vizio R TV

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=295362&page=2

Yes but isn't it the case that the DV software is hardware intensive and as such can not just be retrospectively be added to products that don't have the processing power or needs to be run on products that have either loads of processing power to spare or extra hardware to process the software.
(2017-01-29, 15:25)p750mmx Wrote:
(2017-01-28, 23:48)hdmkv Wrote: Sad article about 3D TV on BBC. Hoping 3D at home lives on where it has the best 'wow' factor... front projection! For that matter, one could argue this would be the space to really appreciate 4K as well. Even on my 65" 4K TV, unless I'm sitting a few feet away, it's really hard to discern the difference between 1080p and it.
If people could have only enjoyed the 3D "experience" that has come (way to late) when watching it on a Passive 4K Oled TV, then maybe it was a whole different ballgame. But sins the 3D possibility was put on every sh!t quality TV that was brought on the market, it never got the enjoyment that could have been. All 3D TV criticizers that did take up my invitation to come and take a look, made a U-turn on there opinion, no one excepted. Not all criticizers took up my invitation though, they just shut up after my guests had shared there experience Wink

3D was doomed from the start. The very first TV's had so much crosstalk and so so quality. I mean it took 5+ years for a good 3d TV. Then you had movie makers making movies and adding 3d for no reason. Yes movies like Avatar, Life of PI, the 3D element added to the story more gave it a bit more depth. Then you have movies like Thor that 3D did nothing to add to the story and if anything hurt the story as there was the long drawn out scene when in non 3d you know it was only there for the 3d wow factor.
I just updated my 10 year old projector with a new 3D ready projector, so sorry to hear this about 3D. I've only seen one 3D movie and really enjoyed it. I'm just getting started with it and it appears to be on its death bed now. I know 3D has been around a while but most people just can't immediately jump on all new technologies and then when you save for it, they've moved on to something else.
Anyway I guess I can enjoy whats already out there in 3D. I'm not all that excited about 4k. 1080p is really good on a new projector and I think 4k will show a minimal improvement unless sitting real close. Now I'm not an expert and just basing my thoughts on some things I have read. I don't think I've ever seen a side by side comparison between 1080p and 4K. But I think 3D is very interesting.
My question is I have read about the 3D MVC build but that it is a fork and cannot be merged into the main line Kodi code. So can you use one HTPC for 2 builds and choose one on startup depending on whether you prefer watching 2D or 3D and are all your movies in one library or do they have to be in 2 separate libraries. How is the best way to organize your movies? Or do you need two separate HTPC's with Kodi, one for 2D and one for 3D if you have MVC files? I'm really in the dark here with regard to setup. Any advise will be much appreciated. Thanks.
Also do you think a NUC with windows10 is the best setup for 3D MVC playback with Kodi. Or might something else do a better job? Thanks.
(2017-02-02, 09:08)tfulks Wrote: I just updated my 10 year old projector with a new 3D ready projector, so sorry to hear this about 3D.
All the Doom and Gloom is about the death of 3D TV Set manufacturing, you would expect 3D Blurays releases to continue if it costs nothing extra to burn them to a Disc. Although that remains to be seen what the future holds ...

You are actually watching 3D the way it should be enjoyed. On a Big Projector screen, with as much visual immersion as you can get to block out anything else that is distracting Smile

(2017-02-02, 09:08)tfulks Wrote: My question is I have read about the 3D MVC build but that it is a fork and cannot be merged into the main line Kodi code. So can you use one HTPC for 2 builds and choose one on startup depending on whether you prefer watching 2D or 3D and are all your movies in one library or do they have to be in 2 separate libraries. How is the best way to organize your movies? Or do you need two separate HTPC's with Kodi, one for 2D and one for 3D if you have MVC files? I'm really in the dark here with regard to setup. Any advise will be much appreciated. Thanks.
Also do you think a NUC with windows10 is the best setup for 3D MVC playback with Kodi. Or might something else do a better job? Thanks.

Download the MVC build and run it in portable mode as and when you need it:
http://kodi.wiki/view/Windows_FAQ#Portable
(2017-02-02, 09:48)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2017-02-02, 09:08)tfulks Wrote: I just updated my 10 year old projector with a new 3D ready projector, so sorry to hear this about 3D.
All the Doom and Gloom is about the death of 3D TV Set manufacturing, you would expect 3D Blurays releases to continue if it costs nothing extra to burn them to a Disc.

I think mastering still costs $$
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
3D Blu-ray's are still being released, with A-list titles like 'Doctor Strange' and 'Moana' due out this month and March, respectively. There's obviously still a sizable enough market out there for studios. I've imported 3D discs only released in Europe (Amazon UK, FR, DE) or India (via an eBay seller), where there seem to be more demand.

Like I said before, and @wrxtasy echoed, 3D is best enjoyed on a big screen anyway... as @tfulks has opted to. Hopefully, 3D PJ's, along w/the established base of 3D displays out there, will keep 3D Blu-ray's alive. It looks like Optoma's upcoming 4K 'budget' PJ will include 3D, something I hope other major PJ manufacturers also do (BenQ, Epson, etc.).

If 3D discs do die, I plan on enjoying my collection for as long as possible Smile. Have nearly 300 titles now, since the format's introduction.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
I love when the journalist say I LOVE 3D
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
what do you guys think of the conversion kits for making active 3D PJ's into passive ones? I have heard mixed opinions, so wondering if you folks have any thoughts/experience here? I would much rather prefer a passive 3D experience (similar to my LG OLED65E6P)..
(2017-02-02, 18:27)the_jaguar Wrote: what do you guys think of the conversion kits for making active 3D PJ's into passive ones? I have heard mixed opinions, so wondering if you folks have any thoughts/experience here? I would much rather prefer a passive 3D experience (similar to my LG OLED65E6P)..

Why passive over active?
(2017-02-03, 09:53)T800 Wrote:
(2017-02-02, 18:27)the_jaguar Wrote: what do you guys think of the conversion kits for making active 3D PJ's into passive ones? I have heard mixed opinions, so wondering if you folks have any thoughts/experience here? I would much rather prefer a passive 3D experience (similar to my LG OLED65E6P)..

Why passive over active?
- less flickering
- better brightness and contrast
- really better pop outs
- better 3D deep

if the conversation kit will do it also, i don't know.
  • 241(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio17