ACCEPTED: On-the-Fly Transcoding
(2015-03-17, 19:43)RockerC Wrote:
(2015-03-17, 13:44)Montellese Wrote: Transcoding could also be done through our normal webserver which tools like the Chorus webinterface use to play video in the browser. IMO that would be the easier initial approach than a fully working UPnP profile system.
You might be right, and that could also lead to cool place-shifting functionality as suggested here http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=56561

That could enable not only web interfaces but also Android and iOS remote apps such as Yatse to also act media player clients to Kodi as well.

Yup. I think this on its own would make a great project. Just create a transcoding system which provides APIs (through JSONRPC or WebServer), which is cleanly encapsulated enough so it possibly could be reused by python addons etc and core.
Could consider support for a client to propose multiple stuff it supports and the transcode system picks the least harsh to produce. For example sometimes only a demuxing is needed (For example uPnP were we could demux in subtitles) in a transcode and sometimes a full re coding is needed, were the latter takes much much more power.

I think aiming for the above have a far higher successrate and would give the community lots to work on, and it would be the final puzzle needed for headless kodi. By experience its not good to bite more off than you can chew, its easy to envision a very big project and its very sad not to have time to finish it Smile

If there is time there are a number of possible next steps.
1) A number of NAS supports hardware transcoding, for example Synology DS214play, adding support for that would be very useful
2) Adding it to UPnP, and possibly doing it with profiles as suggested.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."

Messages In This Thread
ACCEPTED: On-the-Fly Transcoding - by mANm - 2015-03-16, 22:37
RE: Proposal - On-the-Fly Transcoding - by topfs2 - 2015-03-17, 23:21
RE: ACCEPTED: On-the-Fly Transcoding - by zag - 2015-07-04, 18:22
RE: ACCEPTED: On-the-Fly Transcoding - by zag - 2015-09-01, 23:51
RE: ACCEPTED: On-the-Fly Transcoding - by zag - 2015-09-22, 10:27
RE: ACCEPTED: On-the-Fly Transcoding - by zag - 2015-09-22, 11:30
RE: ACCEPTED: On-the-Fly Transcoding - by zag - 2015-09-22, 14:05
RE: ACCEPTED: On-the-Fly Transcoding - by zag - 2015-10-22, 10:57
RE: ACCEPTED: On-the-Fly Transcoding - by zag - 2016-03-03, 11:09
RE: ACCEPTED: On-the-Fly Transcoding - by zag - 2016-03-03, 14:36
RE: ACCEPTED: On-the-Fly Transcoding - by bry - 2016-08-22, 03:37

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ACCEPTED: On-the-Fly Transcoding1
This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.