• 7(current)
ACCEPTED: On-the-Fly Transcoding
I took much longer than 5 mins to review your proposal and offered suggestions, i.e. drop the fixation on a tablet Smile
sure you got to see that attration of having a tablet the will eventuall evolve into a complete controller for all UPnP and DLNA devices

Kodi on any TV or on the tablet, link up the speakers and so on.

Its not too hard for us guys to do because we know about all the other things out there but other people are not tech savvy and dont want a new hobby, they just want to plug and play
(2015-10-26, 19:35)MrMC Wrote: I took much longer than 5 mins to review your proposal and offered suggestions, i.e. drop the fixation on a tablet Smile
Agreed, and tablets or smartphones can still be used for remote control from a variety of mobile operating systems ... Just let a more competent box do the heavy lifting

Even if you make clever use of some of ARMs video capture encoders you're still not going to get multiple streams, etc
so you saying im just best waiting and crossing my fingers that kodi will one day have a transcoding solution built in ?

Surely I could drum up an app so the tablet controls the dongle, like a remote desktop so you can see it on screen
(2015-10-27, 12:19)69thelememt Wrote: so you saying im just best waiting and crossing my fingers that kodi will one day have a transcoding solution built in ?

Surely I could drum up an app so the tablet controls the dongle, like a remote desktop so you can see it on screen

If you've got dev skills, the thing we could most use help on to speed up the day of transcoding is this: http://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=240
I'm not sure if the battery of a tablet will last very long if it has to transcode 2 streams in parallel (in case you would manage to get it working) as GPU and CPU will be maxed out for the entire duration. Next issue might be the WIFI connection of the tablet - will it be stable enough and have the required speed everywhere in your house to stream a high bitrate bluray and send the transcoded stream? Also, who would like to have a clunky dongle attatched to his tablet that does the transcoding? I'd rather have some random box hidden in my home do the heavy lifting - ideally a powerful NAS that also holds my media. The complete package of box and tablet could still be plug and play.
(2015-10-27, 18:54)da-anda Wrote: I'm not sure if the battery of a tablet will last very long if it has to transcode 2 streams in parallel (in case you would manage to get it working) as GPU and CPU will be maxed out for the entire duration. Next issue might be the WIFI connection of the tablet - will it be stable enough and have the required speed everywhere in your house to stream a high bitrate bluray and send the transcoded stream? Also, who would like to have a clunky dongle attatched to his tablet that does the transcoding? I'd rather have some random box hidden in my home do the heavy lifting - ideally a powerful NAS that also holds my media. The complete package of box and tablet could still be plug and play.

thanks for the input

Transcoding is out the window too much to go at

The dongle would be plugged in hidden behind the TV

First we had kodi installed on the tablet and was streaming with UPnP/DLNA to this dongle, it works great for most films and TV shows in perfect quality. BUT some live TV feeds and addons will not work due to the file type, it will not play on TV's

The second idea was to have kodi installed on the TV dongle itself and to send the it (reverse to the above idea) to the tablet instead. Problem with this is, by default you need to turn on your TV do everything there and to set up streaming to the tablet. Not very user friendly

So what im thinking now is I need a remote desktop app to control the dongle from the tablet that goes through UPnP. Unfortunately there is nothing out there that is user friendly out of the box.

Shame really, having kodi on a PC is great, but we wanted to make a 'center hub' set up on this tablet or (any android device really) so you can have multiple installations of kodi on PC, tablet, TV all running and working together so you can watch and restart movies on different sources from the same place and everything else that comes with MySQL plus all the other DLNA features like adding speakers and so on. But with TV's not playing all formats we need at to have the installation of kodi there at the TV end.

I know there will be a solution for this but i think people are misunderstanding what im going for and not wishing to help. There are solutions for a lot of these things but nothing that ties them all together and nothing that can be done at the push of a button.
Hello,

Regarding the real transcoding project before the thread hijack, how hard is it to implement in a x86 kodi installation, understanding there are limitations?

Is it a kind of plug-in?

I've been tinkering with the idea, trying the vlc http interface and even going as far as trying plex (but couldn't stand the need to register to access MY server), but could not get it to work.

So i'm full of hope regarding this! :-)
hi, what is the current status of the project? When can we try some alpha/betas?
(2016-03-03, 02:06)3000 Wrote: hi, what is the current status of the project? When can we try some alpha/betas?

Code was submitted but never merged into mainline
thank you. That's very sad to hear.
(2016-03-03, 13:21)3000 Wrote: thank you. That's very sad to hear.

Don't be sad, its still progress Wink

Code is here: https://github.com/MarkMuth/xbmc/commits/gsoc2015-2

It only takes one interested developer to run with it and improve it to the point of a Pull Request to Kodi .
yeah, you're absolutely right about that. I really hope someone with knowledge will take it further. It would enable endless possibilities.
Anyone? I am willing to donate for this... Smile
when will Kodi allow transcoding and play outside network? I just want to uninstall Plex....
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ACCEPTED: On-the-Fly Transcoding1