Proposal: Retroplayer HUD touchscreen controller for android
Hello,
My name is Pantelis and I am a 2nd year Computer Science student from Greece. I really enjoy retro gaming and I use Kodi almost everyday, so I believe that this is the perfect project for me to tackle.

Quote:Name: Pantelis Tamtakos

forum/e-mail: Dantegr / [email protected]

Summary: Since Kodi is availble on android devices, I would like to make the necessary additions to the code in order to provide a HUD touchscreen controller similar to the picture bellow.

How will I achieve this: I will achieve this by creating a seperate hud controller addon that will inherite from the already existing controller libraries from libretro in order to match the specific touchscreen coordinates to the buttons of the buttons of the actuall controller. I also plan to create a menu subcategory that will allow the user to pick from some already predifined button position setups according to his needs.

What will the project focus on: The project will focus on touch screen configurations in order to make it responsive, regardless of the screen size and aspect ratio. Also attention will be given to include all the controller of the emulated devices currently supported by retroplayer. And finally the creation of a user friendly menu.

Benefits: All android Kodi users,who enjoy retro gaming, should be benefited from this project.

Goals:
  • Get familiar with libretro controler library in order to map the controler buttons
  • Create a seperate android activity that will act as the contoller HUD and implement it
  • Make several overload constructors in order to support all the controlers needed.
  • Toy around with the XML layout of the android activity in order to make it responsive to many devices
  • Test it on several devices (Phones,Tablets, etc.)

What does it touch in Kodi: Not much Propably since it is an overload addon that will already read from the existing code.

Requirements: C,C++,Android,Java,XML

Possible mentors: Garbear
Would be great if you could think of a platform agnostic approach here instead of making it android specific.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2015-03-18, 14:13)Memphiz Wrote: Would be great if you could think of a platform agnostic approach here instead of making it android specific.
damn apple fanboys Tongue
Apart from doing this platform independent I'm not sure if an android activity overlay would be the proper approach anyway. We rely on Kodi being the main activity that receives all the input and we handle touch input events ourselves (which could use some improvements on Android).
That also means that we already have a platform agnostic way to access and handle touch input so this might be possible to achieve with one or more controls of our guilib.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Da-anda - nahh also think about windows Tablets Big Grin
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I see! Since Kodi's guilib allows the handling of touch inputs events, a platform agnostic approach would be more beneficial.
Maybe by implementing a redesign of the already existing playbar overlay when the Retroplayer module is being active.

Also,since I would be taking a close look to the guilib of Kodi, and specifically to the part that handles touch input events,I would be glad to push some Android specific improvements there (I wouldn't mind to do that for more touch devices,but I am afraid that my knowledge is limited to the Android Platform only). Smile
(2015-03-18, 16:24)Dantegr Wrote: Also,since I would be taking a close look to the guilib of Kodi, and specifically to the part that handles touch input events,I would be glad to push some Android specific improvements there (I wouldn't mind to do that for more touch devices,but I am afraid that my knowledge is limited to the Android Platform only). Smile

Well the issues I mentioned are android specific because back when I wrote the whole android touch handling documentation on native event handling was very scarce so I made some wrong assumptions and they have never been fixed since.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Hi. What is happening to this feature?
It is a great idea.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Proposal: Retroplayer HUD touchscreen controller for android0