Win HOW TO - Configure Kodi DSPlayer with LAV Filters, XySubFilter & madVR
(2015-07-16, 09:12)meles Wrote:
(2015-07-16, 08:20)Ceremony Wrote: Meles: You cannot use 64bit software within 32bit kodi.
As for your audio issue:
I am not even sure why you are trying to do 32bit 96kHz. Most hardware does not support 32bit, only 24bit. 96kHz is way above our hearing levels and will only be detrimental to the audio quality, as most speakers, headphones and whatnot cannot reliably produce vibrations above 20kHz and instead result in intermodulation (= false reproduction of the sound by introducing "noise" at lower frequencies). You can read up on it here: http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

So do not force 32bit nor 96kHz. Stick to 48kHz and 24bit. Also try directsound or waveout instead of WASAPI.
Thx for the advice. Its late and I just want to update that I've finally cobbled together something that works. I believe that the standard output with LAV audio may be doing high def it just does not show with the dsplayer. When configuring the lav filters I would advise everyone to check the box at the bottom so they show as tray icons. Its very handy to have these in place as you can hover, right click, and left click to get access to information (depends on the icon.)

I won't get into detail until tomorrow, but you hit the nail on the head. In reclock with Kodi I have to set on directsound and waveout. With MPC-HC I can leave both on Wasapi.... Might as well do the detail now... I read up on how to do LAV with MPC-HC and added splitter, splitter source, and audio decoder to the external filters (prefer and block to switch back and forth). The sound on the high def was phenomenal with LAV easily besting Kodi default audio engine and crushing FFDshow raw audio (again mind you we are talking two channel analog on my part.) The FFDshow audio still is the champ in this setup for DD5.1 with an amazingly natural sound, so I plan to use MPC-HC long term to play a lot dd5.1 stuff or maybe I'll figure out how to do this with profiles/presets in Kodi once I am sure (is this possible experts?). Lav audio is very respectable on DD5.1 and arguably superior in a lot of sonic areas, but FFDshow is almost magic with DD5.1 in the midrange and more analog like, amazingly good.

Last I wrote the blasted lavsource was absent and still is so I tried to pull in the above lav filters into Kodi.. My main media rule has:
Source filter: lav_splitter_source
Splitter filter: lav_spliiter
video filter: ffdshow_raw_video_filter
audio filter: lav_audio_decoder
subs filter: xysubfilter

I won't bet my life on it, but the lav video filter in the mix resulted in very choppy performance. I've not exhaustivly tested this and this could have been my laptop thrashing over something unrelated, so I'll need to try LAV video again. The ffdshow raw video filter with madver, reclock, etc. looks exceptional and is a close match with LAV if not identical. Again, only for Kodi DSPlayer did I have to take reclock off wasapi. The above are all different names from the setup headlining this thread except for the subsfilter. I am not a programmer and have no idea of the difference if any. I am just amazed with a few quick tries I was able to get this setup into Kodi.
You have not specified a video decoder at all, so it will probably be handled by the system. RAW filters expect uncompressed data, such as NV12/YV12 or RGB24 for video or PCM for audio.
If you have issues with LAV video decoding, disable or change the hardware acceleration options within the configuration dialogue. Maybe its buggy on your card/igpu or the selected option is simply unavailable.
As for quality, LAV is doing a fine job decoding video for me.

Also LAV outputs PCM by default, unless you enabled bitstreaming, which is not compatible with reclock. Do not turn it on!

(2015-07-16, 09:12)meles Wrote: Thanks much for the article link. Noise is a big deal as is unnecessary signal path and extra gain stages or most anything in the signal path. My main speakers are five ways with a super tweeter up to 40000 hz. I can turn it off with very little impact in the "audible range", but it sure sounds different. I suspect that this is because frequencies outside of the range of human hearing are still part of the original sound and their abscence affects what we hear. I'd never thougth of a trade off with noise and so I am eager to read your link, thank you again.
If you can hear the difference, then your speakers are clearly not capable of 20kHz+ sounds (or at least one of it isn't. A human ear cannot hear above 20kHz. Most people cannot even hear past 18kHz and tends to drop as you get older. Personally, I can barely get up to 19.5kHz and at that, point its as good as silent. My Headphones do go up to 26kHz and I was unable to hear anything at all between 20kHz and 26kHz. going past the 26kHz threshold, I started hearing things again, as the headphones were unable to reproduce these sounds.

Also, most movies do not offer "higher quality" audio above 48kHz/24bit, so I'm not even sure what you are trying to do with that configuration. Hopefully not listing to Neil Young Bullshit-HiFi tracks xD

As always, to verify, do a blind test, otherwise, you will be biased.

P.S. to everyone else: Stick to 48kHz/24bit. There is no gain or point, only loss and issues if you go above this.

Messages In This Thread
RE: HOW TO - Configure Kodi DSPlayer with LAV Filters, XySubFilter & madVR - by Ceremony - 2015-07-16, 12:49
9korpus - by edivrecar17 - 2015-10-05, 03:49
Audio delayed after pause - by JeffA - 2016-01-10, 20:28
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Configure Kodi DSPlayer with LAV Filters, XySubFilter & madVR7