• 16(current)
Win HOW TO - Configure Kodi DSPlayer with LAV Filters, XySubFilter & madVR
(2015-10-28, 00:04)HTPC-ASR Wrote:
(2015-10-27, 23:21)Warner306 Wrote:
(2015-10-27, 22:52)HTPC-ASR Wrote: Not always, it's important?!

This should correct the issue where the display rate and composition rate are different. Or you could use windowed mode with windows overlay enabled.

Both of these settings are found in the madVR control panel.

Now i put thi setting...

it's correct?

I think so. I'm sure if you have disable desktop composition or not. I've never used overlay mode. Check your rendering stats to confirm. The display rate and composition rate should be very close or match.
(2015-10-28, 00:17)Warner306 Wrote: I think so. I'm sure if you have disable desktop composition or not. I've never used overlay mode. Check your rendering stats to confirm. The display rate and composition rate should be very close or match.

Nada...

also with

i have
Ohhhhhhhhh!! Maybe i solve it..

i set this

and now i have this

Smile what do you think?
looks fine.
overlay should be fine too. it doesn't use aero to display frames so the desktop composition doesn't matter for overlay.
(2015-10-28, 10:33)huhn Wrote: looks fine.
overlay should be fine too. it doesn't use aero to display frames so the desktop composition doesn't matter for overlay.

YEAH!! Cool

Thank you!!! Nod

Do you see any other issue?

I would work to reduce film grain but maybe it's impossible...
(2015-10-28, 11:48)HTPC-ASR Wrote:
(2015-10-28, 10:33)huhn Wrote: looks fine.

YEAH!! Cool

Thank you!!! Nod

Do you see any other issue?

I would work to reduce film grain but maybe it's impossible...

You could turn off image sharpening (Image Enhancements, Upscaling Refinement). It can amplify grain.
Help! When I set DSplayer with Madvr, the movies play in slow motion. Picture look awesome, but it doesn't play smooth. But when I change back to the default player in kodi, it plays just fine. What did I do wrong? By the way I have Intel Nuc i5 5th gen. with Windows 10
(2015-10-29, 05:52)hugh6881 Wrote: Help! When I set DSplayer with Madvr, the movies play in slow motion. Picture look awesome, but it doesn't play smooth. But when I change back to the default player in kodi, it plays just fine. What did I do wrong? By the way I have Intel Nuc i5 5th gen. with Windows 10

The NUC uses integrated graphics, so you won't get much further than the default madVR settings. You could also try setting image upscaling to "DXVA," which also offers pretty good quality at a low cost.

Please read the madVR sections for help on settings. It is the whole point of this post.
10 bit output is a complicated mess.

Quote:An 8-bit (Rec. 709) source cannot be expanded to a new gamut.

you can do stuff like this but it's not a good idea. expending just result in totally wrong colors.

madVR supports BT 2020 output but no TV can came close to BT 2020 and the TV doesn't know this is a BT 2020 picture and it always expecting a BT 709 image from the PC (and this is maybe totally wrong in a just 2 years). but madVR can map BT 709 gamut to BT 2020 and 10 bit output get's useful for this but yeah like said earlier there is no sane way to make use of this.

to make things even more complicated UBD doesn't use a normal gamma curve it uses PQ so it is kind of even more useless to do stuff like this. PQ isn't supported in madVR and there is currently no way to tell your TV this is PQ gamma not gamma 2.2 yet.

but if you are a calibrator with a meter and you calibrated your device in native gamut you can use of the extra gamut of your screen using a 3D LUT and make use of it with the handful of BT 2020 source with gamma 2.2.

Quote:Typically, TVs supporting UHD resolutions also support output bit depths of 10-bits or more, but this is not always the case. Many olders TVs are also native 10 bit panels. To confirm 10-bit output is received, the following test protocol can be undertaken.

nearly all TVs support 12 bit INPUT nearly no UHD TV has a 10 BIT display. the 10 bit UHD screens are the flagships with HDR support (you really need 10 bit for HDR). there is no consumer grade 12 bit display. older post from ~2008-2010 like to talk about 12 bit displays but that's about internal processing and this is mixed up a lot too. but what so ever most UHD screens don't have a 10 bit panel but this doesn't matter anyway most can't deal with the UBD spec anyway.

Quote:Be careful when selecting 10-bit output with an 8-bit panel. Additional dithering will be added to the image by the GPU at output, reducing image quality. It is always a safe bet to set madVR to 8-bits if the panel bit-depth is unknown.

because 12 bit input is very common on TVs this isn't the case with most TVs the TV is dithering/rounding.

for nearly all PC monitors the GPU has to dither/round to 8 bit because most don't support 10 bit input.

but yeah I don't see a way to get this topic 100% correct there are a lot of "IF" and it would be half a book or something like that to make this topic 100% correct.

is "only deinterlace pixel in the middle of the frame" the setting from processing -> deinterlacing "only look at pixels in the center (good for broadcasts, bad for anime)"

http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q760...jjtyew.png

if yes it should be renamed it does something different for IVTC. deinterlacing is not effected by it. only deinterlacing the middle of a screen is totally pointless ^^.
(2015-10-29, 08:17)Warner306 Wrote:
(2015-10-29, 05:52)hugh6881 Wrote: Help! When I set DSplayer with Madvr, the movies play in slow motion. Picture look awesome, but it doesn't play smooth. But when I change back to the default player in kodi, it plays just fine. What did I do wrong? By the way I have Intel Nuc i5 5th gen. with Windows 10

The NUC uses integrated graphics, so you won't get much further than the default madVR settings. You could also try setting image upscaling to "DXVA," which also offers pretty good quality at a low cost.

Please read the madVR sections for help on settings. It is the whole point of this post.

I Change it to DXVA and It made a big different. But motion is still not as smooth...But a lot better. Is this because of the integrated Graphic?
(2015-10-29, 15:00)hugh6881 Wrote:
(2015-10-29, 08:17)Warner306 Wrote:

I Change it to DXVA and It made a big different. But motion is still not as smooth...But a lot better. Is this because of the integrated Graphic?

yes most likely.

press control+J and make a screenshoot so we have some numbers to work with.
Quote:If your HTPC is a dedicated Kodi machine, an alternative approach is possible.

Alternative Color Space Configuration:

(madVR) TV levels (16-235) -> (Kodi) Use limited color range (16-235) -> (GPU) Full Range RGB 0-255 -> (TV) Output as RGB 16-235

In this configuration, the signal remains 16-235 until it reaches the TV avoiding any conversion by the GPU. This is the most pure path, which preserves the original levels and minimizes added dithering. However, other computer applications will appear over-saturated as a result unless they are also configured to use 16-235 levels. Kodi must be configured under System -> Video output to use a limited color range to match madVR.

I do have a Kodi dedicated machine but I'm a bit cofused with this stated above. It shows the gpu as being set to Full Range RGB 0-255 but then in the description text below that, it says the signal remains 16-235 until it reaches the TV avoiding any conversion by the gpu.

Is this a typo? Because that path seems to illustrate the path being 16-235 until it reaches the gpu which then is converted to 0-255 and then the TV outputs it at 16-235.

Should that say (GPU) Limited Range RGB 16-235 instead?

I'm confused over this. Or should I just set them exactly as listed above.

TIA!
this is not a typo. 0-255 only means the GPU doesn't touch the image it doesn't know if it is limited or not. it always treat the input range as full range because that's how a PC works.

but this setup should only be used if full range isn't possible on the TV and you don't use anything else than kodi/madVR on it.
(2015-10-29, 17:40)huhn Wrote: this is not a typo. 0-255 only means the GPU doesn't touch the image it doesn't know if it is limited or not. it always treat the input range as full range because that's how a PC works.

but this setup should only be used if full range isn't possible on the TV and you don't use anything else than kodi/madVR on it.

Oh ok, I see. Let me run this by you then.

I have a HTPC (nVidia 680GTX 4GB) with Windows 10. This HTPC is used only for Kodi and playing bluray rips. It is connected to a JVC X500R projector. The projector has options for Auto, Full or Limited.

How should I setup Kodi, Windows, GPU and projector? Full, Limited?
set everything to full range RGB.

and verify it with the black clipping test: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-displa...ation.html

if you can't see anything below 17 everything is setup correctly.
  • 16(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Configure Kodi DSPlayer with LAV Filters, XySubFilter & madVR7