• 36(current)
Win HOW TO - Configure Kodi DSPlayer with LAV Filters, XySubFilter & madVR
If you need to send video to the display only, HDMI would be the way to go. If you want to send HD audio to a receiver, you would have to use the DisplayPort with an appropriate adaptor. DisplayPort has more bandwidth than HDMI. I don't know if you can send the video via DisplayPort, however, if you want hdr passthrough.
Well I kind of have it working. If I turn off hdr in Windows, when I boot back up Windows turns hdr back on. Nightmare.

If hdr is on in Windows, I can get a 1080p24 movie playing but it is has hdr on the resolution information. Colours are correct though. 2160p24 hdr is displayed correctly.

If I turn hdr off in windows. The 1080p24 picture is correct with no hdr. But the 2160p24 picture which states it is hdr is not actually displaying hdr.
It really isn't a nightmare.  I suppose one wrong adjustment somewhere could create one though.  In your display, make sure HDR is turned ON for the input HDMI port from your video card.  Also, which driver version are you using?  I'm assuming nVidia and if so, you want v.385.28.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Hdr is on. I'm using the latest driver from nvidia. I'll reload the one you recommend. Cheers.
(2018-07-02, 10:08)Garry74 Wrote: Well I kind of have it working. If I turn off hdr in Windows, when I boot back up Windows turns hdr back on. Nightmare.

If hdr is on in Windows, I can get a 1080p24 movie playing but it is has hdr on the resolution information. Colours are correct though. 2160p24 hdr is displayed correctly.

If I turn hdr off in windows. The 1080p24 picture is correct with no hdr. But the 2160p24 picture which states it is hdr is not actually displaying hdr.
Can you take a screenshot of the OSD (Ctrl + J) with Windows OS HDR turned off while playing an HDR video? It should state what is being played and whether that file has the correct hdr metadata.
Ok will do.
OK, no need for the screenshots as I seem to have it working. A few quirks to iron out though.

So in the end:
  1. I had a setting wrong in MadVR for the colour. I had it set to Bt 2020, rather than Rec 709. 
  2. Windows decided to behave itself regarding switching HDR on, when I wanted it off.
  3. I had to reinstall the Nvidia drivers.
  4. I had the refresh resolution set in the wrong place. Setting it in MadVR worked for me.
  5. Using an adaptor for the DVI port, worked a treat for the sound.
  6. My TV had overscan set on.
  7. My TV has two modes for HDMI. I needed it on mode 1, I had it on mode 2. Which was causing problems with the HDR.
So thanks for all your help guys. Looking at the above it should have been so simple.

Now all I need to do is get the sweet spot of 23.976Hz as mine is currently way off. Skipping frames really annoy me.

Any advice? Custom resolutions?
Is your display native 60Hz or 120Hz?  60Hz you'll need to use 'smooth motion' with 3:2 pulldown.  120Hz, best to match refresh rates' and avoid pulldown.  From there, calm down madVR settings until frames are stable (1 drop every 4mins is acceptable imo)
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Native 60hz. So where do I set smooth motion and 3:2 pull down?

MadVR reports a drop every 4 minutes at the moment, lol. I want it better than that. Hate frame drops.
(2018-07-02, 22:34)Garry74 Wrote: Native 60hz. So where do I set smooth motion and 3:2 pull down?

MadVR reports a drop every 4 minutes at the moment, lol. I want it better than that. Hate frame drops.
If it was native 60 Hz, you wouldn't have an option to switch to 23.976 Hz.

I'm not sure if I want to introduce you to custom resolutions after all of the trouble you've had. Until madVR introduced this measurement, most people were unaware of any frame drops or repeats while using any other Windows media player. If you do use a custom resolution, you may be stuck with 8-bit output. The dithering in madVR is very good, so I wouldn't let 8-bit dithered output turn me off. You are unlikely to see any difference. The warning about custom resolutions relates to how incompatible they are with certain equipment and how certain drivers won't behave, or break the custom resolution when the driver is updated.

There are two tutorials. The first one is a simple explanation of the process. The second is more in-depth.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2721280

http://madvr.com/crt/CustomResTutorial.html
Lol I'm not sure I should be introduced to them either.

Not at that point yet though. Turned on the htpc this morning to make sure all was well and it's not.

Hdr movies do not play with hdr if they are the first movie I play. If I play a 1080p movie then play a hdr all is well.

Kodi will sometimes drop back into Windows when I stop a movie.

Stuttering playback for the first few seconds.

Also very slow boot up compared to just Kodi 17.6. This is probably normal though.
(2018-07-03, 08:40)Garry74 Wrote: Lol I'm not sure I should be introduced to them either.

Not at that point yet though. Turned on the htpc this morning to make sure all was well and it's not.

Hdr movies do not play with hdr if they are the first movie I play. If I play a 1080p movie then play a hdr all is well.

Kodi will sometimes drop back into Windows when I stop a movie.

Stuttering playback for the first few seconds.

Also very slow boot up compared to just Kodi 17.6. This is probably normal though.
Those all sound like problems with DSPlayer. You might want to consider using MPC-BE or MPC-HC as an external player just for your HDR movies. brazen's guide takes this route, using the official Kodi builds. You seem to have the most issues with DSPlayer that I have ever come across.
Yeh, that sounds about right for me.

I've changed the settings so kodi does the display refresh. Seems to have helped. I've also set Dxva to copy back. Seems more stable.
Just as I wrote that I stopped a film and kodi went to the desktop, lol
Does the DSPlayer Krypton version not support external player? I am trying to use PowerDVD to play 3D movies and everything else via DSPlayer but it does not work. Even with the settings in playercorefactory.xml, it keeps playing the file with DsPlayer.
  • 36(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Configure Kodi DSPlayer with LAV Filters, XySubFilter & madVR7