• 39(current)
Win HOW TO - Configure Kodi DSPlayer with LAV Filters, XySubFilter & madVR
You could create a debug log with madVR, but it creates a complex mess that I can't translate well enough to provide you with any help.

Are you using XySubFilter with both DSPlayer and MPC-HC? I would guess it is the subtitle filter if the subtitle is failing to load, but it could be a problem with madVR. Are you able to select the PGS subtitle manually during playback?

Did you update or change any settings in LAV Splitter? And did you recheck your settings in XySubFilter?

As a test, can you try installing the newest XySubFilter and adding it as an "Extra external filter" in DSPlayer: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168282.

If that doesn't work, you might have to post a debug log at the madVR bugtracker.
(2018-11-23, 00:32)Warner306 Wrote: You could create a debug log with madVR, but it creates a complex mess that I can't translate well enough to provide you with any help.

Are you using XySubFilter with both DSPlayer and MPC-HC? I would guess it is the subtitle filter if the subtitle is failing to load, but it could be a problem with madVR. Are you able to select the PGS subtitle manually during playback?

Did you update or change any settings in LAV Splitter? And did you recheck your settings in XySubFilter?

As a test, can you try installing the newest XySubFilter and adding it as an "Extra external filter" in DSPlayer: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168282.

If that doesn't work, you might have to post a debug log at the madVR bugtracker.
 Thank you for your reply and help. I haven't changed anything in MPC-HC, so I assume it's using the same subfilter as DSPlayer. I can't select subtitles manually, but I can load external subtitles. I made no changed to LAV Splitter or XySubFilter. It's hard for me to check XySubFilter settings as, since I first installed DSPlayer, part of the options screen is cut off and the mouse is invisible when over the options window.

As for adding a newer subfilter in DSPlayer, is there a guide somewhere on how to do that?
Is the PGS subtitle listed in this screen during playback (under audio settings):

If it isn't listed, I would think the subtitle isn't loaded with the video. Has the same rip worked in the past? It could be the subtitle is not flagged correctly, wasn't ripped properly or it is the wrong subtitle track.

You need to to recheck your settings in LAV Splitter and XySubFilter. There is a DPI scaling issue with DSPlayer with these control panels. That's why you are seeing some of the text as cut-off. Set the display scaling in Windows to 100% and that text should come back. You can also adjust each setting by remote in DSPlayer by scrolling through the list of settings below the property page, but the property page is easier to use.

To use the newest version of XySubFilter, all you have to do is install it in Windows and add it as an "Extra external filter" in DSPlayer. It should be automatically used as the subtitle filter once selected from the extra filters menu.
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear enough. I can see and select the subtitles through the menu, but they just don't display. I know that they work on these specific rips because I've used them before. Thank you for the tip about scaling, I shall double check my settings and if needed, try an extra filter.

edit - I updated the LAVFilters and XySubFilter by replacing the files in the dsplayer folder and running the install .bats. I also checked the settings and they're all good. Now subtitles work ok on MPC-HC, but they're still not working in Kodi DSPlayer. I tried adding extra external filters, but when bringing up the O menu, it still said it was using the (i) XySubfilter, I assume that means it's internal.
If you replaced XySubFilter with the new XySubFilter in the DSPlayer directory, that should also use the newest version. You aren't supposed to run the install.bat, just copy and paste the install files. If you installed XySubFilter externally, you may have selected the wrong version from the list when adding it as an extra external filter or installed the 32-bit or 64-bit build incorrectly.

MPC-HC is not using XySubFilter by default, so it sounds like an issue with XySubFilter + DSPlayer. I would try and confirm you have the newest version of XySubFilter installed by looking at the version number at the bottom of the property page in DSPlayer. Ensure the overwrite of the existing XySubFilter went smoothly.

The next step is to try is to install xy-VSFilter and add it as an Extra external filter: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168282.

Is it only UHD rips that have this issue?
Ok, I'll give all that a try, thank you. No, both 1080p and 2160p remuxes have problems. Encodes work just fine, but from what I can see, they use different subtitle formats.

Remux subtitle (not working):

Text #1
ID : 5
Format : PGS
Muxing mode : zlib
Codec ID : S_HDMV/PGS
Codec ID/Info : Picture based subtitle format used on BDs/HD-DVDs
Title : Foreign Parts
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : Yes

Encode subtitle (working):

Text #1
ID : 4
Format : UTF-8
Codec ID : S_TEXT/UTF8
Codec ID/Info : UTF-8 Plain Text
Title : Forced
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : Yes

edit - I checked the version of XySubFilter and it is the latest. I have a folder for xy-VSFilter in the DSPlayer folder that I updated the same way as the other two filters, when I did those, including the install .bat. If I wasn't supposed to do that, is that why it is still displaying (i)xYSubFilter as the one in use when playing files? Even with xy-VSFilter selected as an External extra? From the external extra menu I tried both the Internal xy-VSFilter and the xy-VSFilter (auto) option, DSPlayer still appears to be using XySubFilter when checking the O menu during playback.
I just tried Avatar (1080p) and Close Encounters of the Third Kind (UHD), and I have working PGS subtitles, so I am confused about what has happened to your system.

The only upgrades I've made are to LAV Filters 0.73.1 and the newest version of madVR, which is actually the newest test build.

To try a completely external subtitle filter like xy-VSFilter, you need to first install it externally. I would install it into the Downloads folder, run the install.bat as an Administrator and then add it as a filter in DSPlayer. I'm not sure if xy-VSFilter Auto is the correct name, but the filter should appear at the bottom of the list. If this doesn't work, try adding it manually under Filters Management before adding it as an Extra external filter.

The only other thing I can suggest in the interim is to try a Portable Installation. I don't know how anything could become corrupt in the DSPlayer database, but a Portable Installation would rule out any kind of error located in the installation files. You would have to copy one file on your media server to a new folder, share it and add it as a source as a test. Use Load from active madVR profile as the way to handle madVR settings.
Ok, thank you for the help and suggestions. I'll try a few things out and see what happens.
I just reinstalled Windows on the HTPC, it's been on my to do list for a while. I also figured it would be good to troubleshoot from a fresh system. I'm running Kodi DSP 17.6 x64, I've updated both the LAV Filters and the XySubFilter to the latest (I didn't run the install .bat this time!). I configured everything with the guides here, so the settings are all good. PGS subtitles are still not displaying. However, I shall go over all of your suggestions again. I'll update my progress either way in-case it's helpful to other people in the future.
I would add trying XySubFilter with MPC-HC on the list of things to try. Maybe madVR should be blamed in this case?
Also, try installing the most recent madVR test build and see if it makes any difference: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digita...st57075684

Extract the zip file and copy and paste the files into the madVR installation folder. Overwrite the existing files to complete.
I just tested it and it works fine in MPC-HC, so it's safe to say it's not madVR. I keep trying to add external filters in Kodi but when I look at the filters during playback, it's still using the internal XySubFilter. I know they're installed properly as both XySubFilter (which I installed separately for testing in MPC-HC) and xy-VSFilter are selectable and work in MPC-HC. Do I need to make custom rules to change from internal filters?

The test build didn't make any difference.
I forgot to ask which build of DSPlayer you are using. I am on the 64-bit build. I wonder if the difference might come down to the version of DSPlayer.

If you want to take another crack at trying xy-VSFilter, try these files: 

Install into C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\dsplayer\

Overwrite any existing files.

You need to set Filters management to Media rules and Filters configuration

When I tested this, I think I was getting worse performance in madVR with xy-VSFilter compared to XySubFilter, but this is just meant as a test.

If you want to go back the DSPlayer version of XySubFilter, you can use this file: 

The new version of XySubFilter hasn't been tested with DSPlayer, so it might be worth reverting to the original version.
I too am using the latest x64 build. I think my problem with the external filters is I didn't realise I had to change the filter management settings. I shall refer back to the guide and give it another crack. Thanks again for your continuing help.
hello everyone,I ask for advice,I would like to use kodi dspplayer,I already use madvr with mpc-hc,but which version do you recommend for kodi dsplayer? 32 bit or 64? and the LAV filters and XySubFilter 32 or 64? My OS windows 10,thanks,bye.
  • 39(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Configure Kodi DSPlayer with LAV Filters, XySubFilter & madVR7