Tvheadend issue after upgrade from xbmc to kodi
Having upgraded from xbmc 13 (xbmcbuntu) to kodi 14.2 tvheadend no longer functions.

I have tried reinstalling kodi-pvr-tvheadend-hts but to no avail. It installs but does not appear to be starting hence Live-TV has no connection.

Can someone point me to the correct method to install tvheadend and have it start at boot up.

Thanks in anticipation.
Update and correction.

Tvheadend is installed and appears to be running and is enabled in addons but Live TV comes up with the lost connection warning.

However it can't be running correctly since it refuses all manner of connections to 9981/2 i.e. connection via browser

Logs don't show anything relevant.
Check authorisation/credentials in the addon and backend, i.e. you're logging in as a valid user? You don't appear to say if the backend is on a different system, but, if it is, check the log files there as well.

A bit more information about the platform, configuration, etc. (maybe full log files on pastebin) would be helpful.
What was actually running was the previous version of tvheadend prior to the upgrade but Live TV was showing Connection Lost after the upgrade.

So i've uninstalled that and installed kodi-pvr-tvheadend-hts and tvheadend no longer starts. Backend is on the same system. Platform is xbmcbuntu (13) upgraded to kodibuntu (14.2).

Just going to check the logs again then post anything relevant if I don't get anywhere.

Thanks

Edit:

Here's the kodi.log

http://pastebin.com/VvBXkieb
ERROR: AddOnLog: Tvheadend HTSP Client: TransmitMessage - failed to write packet (Connection refused)

... suggests your network is up and running but the client process simply isn't being allowed in. Given that it's on the same system, I'd check the client settings and make sure that the IP address is correct (loopback 127.0.0.1 should work, but you might need the 'real' address) and that the username/password are correct vs what the back end is expecting. Check that through the tvheadend web interface.
When Live TV is enabled the following debug log is generated:

http://pastebin.com/JJaSUxW8

Ok will try the real ip address instead, thanks.
Unfortunately changing to the real ip address 192.168.1.103 instead of 127.0.0.1 didn't help.

Sorry forgot to mention can't connect to the web interface http://192.168.1.103:9981

Edit:

connection to kodi web interface http://192.168.1.103:8080/addons works fine as is the ssh I am using to access it besides the kodi TV desktop (just to demonstrate that I have good network connections all round).
(2015-03-29, 17:40)s16cg Wrote: Sorry forgot to mention can't connect to the web interface http://192.168.1.103:9981

That doesn't sound good. Is tvheadend even running, then? That might explain why you can't connect...

ps -eaf | grep tvheadend should give something like:

Code:
bill@ben:~/tvh$ ps -eaf | grep tvheadend
bill      4542  3750  0 17:42 pts/14   00:00:00 grep --color=auto tvheadend
hts      13902     1  0 Mar04 ?        03:28:47 tvheadend -f -u hts -g video

If it doesn't, try sudo service tvheadend restart and post the output, please.

And if that complains, sudo apt-cache policy tvheadend and again post the output.
Code:
xbmc@JETBUNTU:~$ ps -eaf | grep tvheadend
xbmc      2470  1974  0 17:45 pts/0    00:00:00 grep tvheadend

Code:
xbmc@JETBUNTU:~$ sudo service tvheadend restart
tvheadend: unrecognized service

Code:
xbmc@JETBUNTU:~$ sudo apt-cache policy tvheadend
N: Unable to locate package tvheadend
xbmc@JETBUNTU:~$
Just to show it is supposedly installed:

Code:
xbmc@JETBUNTU:~$ sudo apt-get install kodi-pvr-tvheadend-hts
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree      
Reading state information... Done
kodi-pvr-tvheadend-hts is already the newest version.
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 0 not to upgrade.
xbmc@JETBUNTU:~$
I've just installed Kodi and tvheadend on this my desktop pc (not my kodi media centre mini pc) and I'm having the same problem.

From the System info summary page of kodi:

kodi 14.2 Git:7cc53a9 (Compiled: Mar 27 2015)

Running Linux Mint 17.1
Going back to the media centre, thinking maybe it's a naming issue:

Code:
xbmc@JETBUNTU:~$ ps -eaf | grep kodi-pvr-tvheadend-hts
xbmc      2047  1588  0 20:36 pts/3    00:00:00 grep kodi-pvr-tvheadend-hts

Code:
xbmc@JETBUNTU:~$ sudo service kodi-pvr-tvheadend-hts restart
kodi-pvr-tvheadend-hts: unrecognized service

Code:
xbmc@JETBUNTU:~$ sudo apt-cache policy kodi-pvr-tvheadend-hts
kodi-pvr-tvheadend-hts:
  Installed: 1.9.39-5trusty
  Candidate: 1.9.39-5trusty
  Version table:
*** 1.9.39-5trusty 0
        500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ppa/ubuntu/ trusty/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

or not?!
In the end I decided to download the latest deb for tvheadend from the nightlies as I was getting nowhere fast:

Code:
wget http://apt.tvheadend.org/unstable/pool/main/t/tvheadend/tvheadend_3.9.2662~ge4cdd3c~trusty_amd64.deb

then attempted to install it:

Code:
sudo dpkg -i tvheadend_3.9.2662~ge4cdd3c~trusty_amd64.deb

This threw up a dependency issue:

Code:
Selecting previously unselected package tvheadend.
(Reading database ... 160606 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack tvheadend_3.9.2662~ge4cdd3c~trusty_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking tvheadend (3.9.2662~ge4cdd3c~trusty) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of tvheadend:
tvheadend depends on liburiparser1 (>= 0.6.0); however:
  Package liburiparser1 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package tvheadend (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for man-db (2.6.7.1-1ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for ureadahead (0.100.0-16) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
tvheadend

So I tried to fix that with:

Code:
xbmc@JETBUNTU:~$ sudo apt-get -f install
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree        
Reading state information... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  liburiparser1
The following NEW packages will be installed
  liburiparser1
0 to upgrade, 1 to newly install, 0 to remove and 0 not to upgrade.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 34.0 kB of archives.
After this operation, 139 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Get:1 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/universe liburiparser1 amd64 0.7.5-1ubuntu2 [34.0 kB]
Fetched 34.0 kB in 0s (130 kB/s)  
Selecting previously unselected package liburiparser1.
(Reading database ... 163716 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../liburiparser1_0.7.5-1ubuntu2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking liburiparser1 (0.7.5-1ubuntu2) ...
Setting up liburiparser1 (0.7.5-1ubuntu2) ...
Setting up tvheadend (3.9.2662~ge4cdd3c~trusty) ...
tvheadend start/running, process 2629
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19-0ubuntu6.6) ...
Processing triggers for ureadahead (0.100.0-16) ...

Strangely everything appears to work now. Wondering why the dependency issue didn't show up before?
While I've posted how I fixed my problem there may be things that come and bite me later on so I'm not suggesting this is a proper fix, just that it is working for me at the moment.
Thanks for your input Prof Yaffle for pointing me in the general direction.
You appear not to actually have had tvheadend installed, which is no small omission so I won't assume it's the whole of the problem. But it's clear from post #9 that you neither have the package installed nor have even a candidate, which you ultimately solved in post #13.

For info, kodi-pvr-tvheadend-hts is the *addon*, it's the bit of code in Kodi that talks to the backend. You install that on the client. However, tvheadend is the *server*, it's the bit that does all the real work and it lives on the backend. The sudo service stuff only affects that backend software, as that's the real application that runs as a background process (service/daemon).

I'd guess that - somehow - you uninstalled tvheadend somewhere along the way, but left the config. When you re-installed with dpkg -i, it picked up the config and picked up where the old version left off, hence the frontend (the kodi-pvr-tvheadend-hts addon) suddenly kicked into life.

PS your dependency/addon solution was 100% correct - the tvheadend package is looking for that other package, which you installed and al is thus well.
Yes that does seem to be correct. I did have the server tvheadend installed but I uninstalled it after the upgrade thinking it was the wrong version for kodi but then couldn't reinstall it. The addon seems to have installed ok but couldn't connect with the server as it wasn't installed.

Still confused as to why I couldn't reinstall the server unless that was because of the dependency problem. I wasn't really sure that it wasn't installed either. Got very confused at this point.

Anyway thanks for the follow up. Hopefully I will not have too many issues from now on.

Edit:

I know why I uninstalled it, it was because the old ppa was no longer present so I added the new ppa but then I had issues with dependencies and got lost along the way.

Nice to know where I went wrong and maybe it will help someone else :0)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Tvheadend issue after upgrade from xbmc to kodi0